Forums > Queen - General Discussion > if you met brian may, what would you ask him to sign?

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

id ask him to sign my "a night at the opera" album because its the first Queen album i bought. or, id get my  Queen poster signed, its the first i ever got so why not.

how about you?

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't get him to sign anything, I would however show him a dead fox.

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would invite him over to my house so we could watch THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

And then tell him:
SEE THAT?
WHAT YOU DID TO QUEEN BY ASKING PAUL RODGERS TO SING, IS MUCH WORSE THAN KILLING JESUS.

But then again, maybe I'll ask him to sing Opera or Races.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Michael user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I understand why people feel so strongly about Paul Rodgers singing with Queen.  I mean, no one can compare with Freddie.  But the way I always viewed the partnership is exactly as it was: Paul Rodgers with Queen (or half of Queen, to be exact).  I found that Rodgers put his own spin on the Queen songs and did not try to imitate Freddie.  Therefore, I never had a problem with the arrangement.  As for the name of the band ("Queen + Paul Rodgers"), I feel that May and Taylor did this strictly for marketing purposes.  The general public, at large, does not know who they are or that they were once members of Queen.  They pretty much has to use the "Queen" name to guarantee high ticket sales.  So I don't think it was any great crime for Brian and Roger to work with Paul - in fact, they put on quite an enjoyable show.  If they are to tour again and are in my town, I will certainly be there again.

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly couldn't care less about the name of their projects, it's more about common sense.
To me, Queen was escencially Freddie Mercury with (a lot of/some/none) input from the others but I don't give a shit if Brian decides to call himself Queen or Brian May + The Dying Foxes.

But you know, to bring back the name and play such a poor part, by recording such a sloppy album.
It's sad.
It's heartbreaking to me.

And Paul Rodgers didn't "put his own spin", he just can't do any other thing other than that awful bluesy feel that he puts on virtually EVERYTHING. Which is certainly not the best idea, anyone would agree if the example was Yngwie Malmsteen replacing Brian May and instead of playing the songs the way they are, starts shredding all the time.

Anyone would say DUDE, PLAY THE SONGS LIKE THEY ARE, DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE. And he could do it, because he is a wonderful guitar player, he'd just need a slap or two (?)
Paul Rodgers, on the other hand, can't do anything else than his bluesy shit. Which is not bad because it's bluesy, it's bad because he can't pull it off properly either.
But it's obvious...

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1117 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So then, would you have him sign TCR?  Or something else?  I think that was the question.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1567 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would get him to sign a will to give me all the money and assets that he has.  :-)

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my ,anthems , programme in may.
anyone know where the stage door is in the festival theatre?.

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2043 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: id ask him to sign my "a night at the opera" album because its the first Queen album i bought. or, id get my  Queen poster signed, its the first i ever got so why not.

how about you?
/ / / / / / / / /

met him and Roger in 2008 and got my ANATO 30th anniversary vinyl signed by both of them :D
that´s now the most precious treasure in my Queen collection ... as well as the photo I have with Roger  !!

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 456 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd ask him to show me how he played 'Long Away' on that 12-string.....I have spent years trying to solve how he did it but it still eludes me how he got it just so.....
(and there aren't any correct versions available that I have ever seen)

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4626 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I ask him to get out of the way and let me go past him.....

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've met him twice. The first time in 1998 after a concert of the Another World tour - he signed my ticket. It was the only thing I had with me.

The second time, a couple of weeks ago, after the premiere of the WWRY musical in Oslo, he signed my Flash Gordon and A Night at the Opera LP's. I didn't have my collection, only a couple of LP's, but I like them. Got them signed by both Brian May and Roger Taylor. Happy!

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Val Lurex user is on Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2711 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd ask him to sign my Jazz LP.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 271 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Innuendo CD.

But I'd rather ask him to sing and/or play 39.

la_ultra_zona user not visiting Queenzone.com
la_ultra_zona
Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mi Loved Guitar.           Mission accomplished!!!

Maxi Dries
la_ultra_zona user not visiting Queenzone.com
la_ultra_zona
Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael wrote: I understand why people feel so strongly about Paul Rodgers singing with Queen.  I mean, no one can compare with Freddie.  But the way I always viewed the partnership is exactly as it was: Paul Rodgers with Queen (or half of Queen, to be exact).  I found that Rodgers put his own spin on the Queen songs and did not try to imitate Freddie.  Therefore, I never had a problem with the arrangement.  As for the name of the band ("Queen + Paul Rodgers"), I feel that May and Taylor did this strictly for marketing purposes.  The general public, at large, does not know who they are or that they were once members of Queen.  They pretty much has to use the "Queen" name to guarantee high ticket sales.  So I don't think it was any great crime for Brian and Roger to work with Paul - in fact, they put on quite an enjoyable show.  If they are to tour again and are in my town, I will certainly be there again.
I remember Paul Rodgers in Buenos Aires, signing items like A Night At The Opera vinyl (!) and Live At Wembley DVD (!!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAH9mNXCE80

Maxi Dries
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vali wrote: lifetimefanofqueen wrote: id ask him to sign my "a night at the opera" album because its the first Queen album i bought. or, id get my  Queen poster signed, its the first i ever got so why not.

how about you?
/ / / / / / / / /

met him and Roger in 2008 and got my ANATO 30th anniversary vinyl signed by both of them :D
that´s now the most precious treasure in my Queen collection ... as well as the photo I have with Roger  !!

====================================================
i feel like royalty when i talk to someone who has met Brian May or Roger Taylor or BOTH!!!! :'D
sounds amazing! :D

Blackthorne user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blackthorne
Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a copy of Earls Court, Houston or Knebworth (and some others related)
:D

A concert is not a live rendition of our album. It's a theatrical event.

Freddie Mercury
Val Lurex user is on Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2711 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blackthorne wrote: a copy of Earls Court, Houston or Knebworth (and some others related)

:D

======================================

Same ;)

And also Rainbow 1974, Paris 1979, Tokyo 1979 etc.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
1TuffRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would ask Brian May to sing a legal document stating that he & Roger will finally start releasing work that the FANS want, starting with rareties that have been buried in the archives.