Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > How does snowprodductionnes remaster their stuff?

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 11, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always wondered about this. Do they take the original tapes and "remaster" them or do they digitially just take the shitty quality footage that is circulating around a digitally remaster them?

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 11, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Remaster or ruin?

I have never liked these releases.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

jamster1111

Posted: 05 Mar 11, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I have to agree they ruined some stuff. However, I have to say the audio on the new Buenos Aires 30th anniversary gig is MUCH better.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 11, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Yeah I have to agree they ruined some stuff. However, I have to say the audio on the new Buenos Aires 30th anniversary gig is MUCH better.
-----------------------
Is better?? for me is a bit worse! but maybe i`m wrong (in this moment i`m using a computer with bad speakers)
When i could listen this with my speakers i will try again.

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
jamster1111

Posted: 06 Mar 11, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MERQRY wrote: jamster1111 wrote: Yeah I have to agree they ruined some stuff. However, I have to say the audio on the new Buenos Aires 30th anniversary gig is MUCH better.
-----------------------
Is better?? for me is a bit worse! but maybe i`m wrong (in this moment i`m using a computer with bad speakers)
When i could listen this with my speakers i will try again.
The sound is better and the fact that they got rid of the writing and the announcer is really good...but the picture quality looks worse which is one of the most important things.

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 11, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always wondered about this. Do they take the original tapes and "remaster" them or do they digitially just take the shitty quality footage that is circulating around a digitally remaster them?

============================================================

He does both, he takes real tapes, transfers and encodes them / uses virtual dub filters, and he also takes the
stuff shared here and uses virtual dub filters.

The same with the audio, he sometimes syncs his own audience recordings to the video other times he over filters the audio which is already on the footage.

So yes some of his stuff is really re=mastered from bootlegs he collected, The rest has just been digitally filtered, and to be honest he doesn't really know what he's doing.

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Snowprodductionnes bad steal free shares lots lousy remastering.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of the Snow Productions stuff is really good. But I don't approve that he's selling it. These releases should be free for everyone (except for the official stuff, of course). 

The same applies for Trancer's releases. I'm always glad when I see a release by either of them pop up somewhere on trackers. I hope more of these releases are "liberated".

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote: Some of the Snow Productions stuff is really good. But I don't approve that he's selling it. These releases should be free for everyone (except for the official stuff, of course). 

The same applies for Trancer's releases. I'm always glad when I see a release by either of them pop up somewhere on trackers. I hope more of these releases are "liberated".

V. =============================================================================================

I like a lot of the SP stuff, although there's only so much can be done with the really horrific footage - as Kurgan puts it, you can't polish a turd.  It's never really bothered me either that he sells the stuff, we've all bought from guys like this and, if you're honest, we've all either sold or traded back in the day.  Even with the trades, you always get something out of what you already have.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He barely makes new transfers, except for some stuff he recorded from TV and some from other fans' collections. Most of the stuff he "remasters" is taken from the internet and he doesn't even bother to get decent sources (he sells a lot of stuff taken from S/VCDs). I have been told he's not an honest collector - he lies and decieves. From a technical point of view, his work is pretty sub-standard - even for an amateur. The sad thing is - it seems that he'll never learn to do it properly. E.g: Both sound and image from his "30th Anniversary" release of the Argentina show are over-filtered which results in a lot of artifacts (and the audio EQ is really, I mean REALLY, bad). His main source is still the same QTV material.

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just noticed that SP are using a couple of my DVD artwork that I made several years ago (Venezuela 81 and the Killer Queen! doc).

I've downloaded  a few the live bootleg samples and some of it look quite impressive (on a 46" plasma too, which is no mean feat for standard def material).
The Budapest 24p (oh for a blu ray release!) from the LD and Argentina 81 restored version are well worth a look.
Some of it looked no better than what O have already from Trancer.  A lot of colour and contrast enhancement, which can look too processed.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Plain and simple, his stuff is crap.  The only true upgraded source he has is the Madrid 1979 footage.  Largely his sources are the common versions we've had for years, just artificially sharpened and cropped to 16:9.  He tries to buy you off with pretty menus  ... all style and no substance.  It's an absolute insult to collectors before him that he takes their footage which they spread for free, doesn't tell you what he's doing to it, and sells it for profit.  Avoid it all.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard that Snow's version of Stuttgart 1984 is the best available.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[

Lostman wrote:

I've heard that Snow's version of Stuttgart 1984 is the best available.

No it isn't.  I have it and also a much better version

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's on my very long "to-do" list

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote:

I like a lot of the SP stuff, although there's only so much can be done with the really horrific footage - as Kurgan puts it, you can't polish a turd.  It's never really bothered me either that he sells the stuff, we've all bought from guys like this and, if you're honest, we've all either sold or traded back in the day.  Even with the trades, you always get something out of what you already have.

Nope. Never sold or traded. I never had the means to.

IF I ever buy anything from Trancer or SP it will be to liberate it, either here or on another tracker (in case it contains official material).

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His version of Rainow 1974 is quite enjoyable as far as audio goes. He ruined it visually.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."