Forums > Personal > best ever concert

forum rss feed
Author

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i know this site is a queen site,but just for this time....what is the best concert you have been at.
i dont want any,o queen are the greatest,freddie is king...
because lets be honest,there are other fantastic,verging on great rock bands out there.
some of the (cough) older members here have had the privilage of seing,led zep,beatles(the very older),
the reason i assk....(o god im going to get pelters for this),just watched .
oasis live main road.cigaretes and alcahol............fantastic.
now dont get me wrong,i am a queen man through and through,but there are other great musicians out there.
from a personal point of view living where i do,there aint much chance of live bands,i live in the country miles from a city.
so my live bands has been limited .
special trips to edinburgh(82),glasgow(2008)queen and queen+paul.
and as for major bands the time for those was in the late 70s early 80s.in my region.
blackfoot sue..ask your dad).and i am ashamed to say dead end kids(ask your dad again lol).
the only time i have ever and i mean ever came close to a major(and i mean mega major star),was years ago when i delivered a grand piano to..paul mccartney in his farm at kintyre..(see my profile)
yes its true i have been to pauls farm.
but that aside the biggest or greates band i have seen (live) was sue,at the local big hotel in the 70s..
many people on this forum have had and have enjoyed the chance to see major bands live.
who was best,who did you love,who was crap...
ps.........i had the chance of POLICE AND THE JAM tickets..but my boss said ....those are just trios,a waste of time .lol lol lol.
so didnt bother(ooooooooooooo shit)....

YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul McCartney live in the Gelredome, december 2009.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3052 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey David, that Oasis show isn't half bad, I really like that one too.

sentiment wise, my favourite show is Queen + PR at SECC in 2008, and this is the most emotional I've ever been at a concert in my life, although excitement wise (don't laugh) I saw Billy Joel twice at the SECC in 2006 - I can't think of a time when I was more excited to be seeing one of my heroes live.  As you can tell, I have a bit of an eclectic taste in music, and another fine show was Andrea Bocelli, again at the SECC - as was Elton John and the mighty Ultravox, too.

BUT, the BEST EVER live show I've ever been to?  PAUL McCARTNEY, Hampden Park 2010.  That man is 68 and was loaded with the 'flu, but still put on a great show with a stunning setlist that lasted 3 hours.  He didn't go for a break, or costume change, and it was all played without a support act.  I didn't even have tickets for it until I turned up outside the ground about an hour before it started.  Oh, and 10/10 for Pyros during "Live And Let Die".

To be honest, I've seen a lot of the folk now I'd like to see.  The ones that are left are:

David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
REM

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come to think of it, I was at the Oasis show in Loch Lomond in '96, and have also seen Muse (by far the best lighting show), Metallica and the Foo Fighters, and all were good nights.  The Darkness also put on a fantastic, and fast-paced show.  Lily Allen was good, too (and is a wee babe).  But McCartney still tops the lot.

The most boring shows I've ever been to?  Arcade Fire, Dragonforce and Alterbridge.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tie between

KISS "Hot In The Shade" tour

KISS "Revenge" club tour

KISS "Revenge" arena tour

KISS Konvention tour (acoustic performance; lots of deep tracks)

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 08 Mar 11, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Tie between

KISS "Revenge" club tour

KISS Konvention tour (acoustic performance; lots of deep tracks) =============================================================================================

So have you not liked shows that WEREN'T Kiss then lol?  (Or have you never been to a show that didn't involve them?).

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4630 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 11, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Black Sabbath at the Apollo Glasgow 1978 with support act Van Halen. My first ever gig!! Beat that lol :)

Nazareth (when Zal Cleminson from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band was with them)  very early 80's, again at the Apollo Glasgow

Rush at the SECC mid 80's

There was more but I cant remember them all tbh.....

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 11, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

best concert ive ever been to id say is the very first one i ever went to, i will never forget it, it was an 80s concert, there were many bands and singers, but it was in a park, we all had picknicks and it wasnt to crowed, you could sit down etc....the first performance was Toyah, i was so so so happy, this was the first concert i went to so i recorded all her songs with my phone, i didnt know who she was at the time

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 11, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"There can only be one truly great music festival in a lifetime and its the US Festival!" - Homer Simpson

Blow it out your ass.
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 11, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: jpf wrote: Tie between

KISS "Revenge" club tour

KISS Konvention tour (acoustic performance; lots of deep tracks) =============================================================================================

So have you not liked shows that WEREN'T Kiss then lol?  (Or have you never been to a show that didn't involve them?).
----

I've been to over 150 concerts ranging from KISS to The Cure To Elton John To Fleetwood Mac to Black Sabbath.

The question asked what was your best concert ever.  Those five KISS shows were equally good and my most favorite.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: jpf wrote: Tie between

KISS "Revenge" club tour

----

I've been to over 150 concerts ranging from KISS to The Cure To Elton John To Fleetwood Mac to Black Sabbath.

The question asked what was your best concert ever.  Those five KISS shows were equally good and my most favorite.
=============================================================================================

FFS, it was a joke- didn't need to be reminded of "the question" lol.  Btw, for a Queen forum, you don't half ramble on about Kiss (fake smiley thing).

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as we're staying off queen here...i will stick to the rules

purple  and scorpions(in support) - knebworth 85
rainbow - donington 80 and bingley hall (they had rose tattoo in support)
ac/dc donington 81
quo 81
bowie (serious moonlight) 83
elton - 83
inxs (nec) kick 87
julian cope
also some various gigs during the same decade...ufo, lizzy, whitesnake

also, some much lesser known bands back then too....grim reaper, jameson raid and a wonderful Brum band called Cryer....

and let's not forget...just for pure fun and laughs...the late great Frank Sidebottom

go deo na hÉireann
Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not many of the artists I like come to this part of the world but I had the chance to see Deep Purple and Bryan Adams and both were great concerts. The Alan Parsosn Project is coming in May, so I'll hope it will be very good, too.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote: Black Sabbath at the Apollo Glasgow 1978 with support act Van Halen. My first ever gig!! Beat that lol :)

==============================================================================

It's not possible to beat that. Amazing.

Anyway, the best concert I've been to, based on atmosphere and excitement, was Bryan Adams at a small club in Belfast. Not the coolest answer but an honest one. It was incredible.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a neat thread, though I declined to participate because my list would be largely a bunch of Canadian performers nobody knows and as a result would just bore everybody.  But my list would have included Bryan Adams as well as the support act who most radically and unexpectedly transformed the atmosphere and energy of an evening.  I saw him many times subsequently as a headliner, and those concerts were great, but I remember him most as that support act in 1981 or 1982 who just absolutely blew the roof off the place.

last-horizon 42265 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 251 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: as we're staying off queen here...i will stick to the rules

ac/dc donington 81
quo 81
elton - 83
inxs (nec) kick 87
julian cope

also, some much lesser known bands back then too....grim reaper, jameson raid and a wonderful Brum band called Cryer....

and let's notforget...just for pure fun and laughs...the late great Frank Sidebottom 

============================

I am sorry, but I'm afraid that Elton John did not tour in 1983. He did in 1982 and 1984, though (just like a certain band called Queen :)).

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

best gig apart from a Queen one..[wembley 84 btw]
probably Bowie at Milton Keynes bowl in 1990 on the Sound & Vision tour but McCartney at Wembley Arena in 89 comes a close second although 99% of the gigs ive been to have been great [U2 at Wembley Stadium 93 comes to mind and Simply Red in 92].
worse gig though without any shadow of a doubt was Prince at Wembley Stadium in the early 90's,utter bollox,never again will i pay to see him.
Basement Jaxx at the Eden Project were fantastic to btw!

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

junketerQ2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 11, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

U2 - Zoo TV Tour December '93 in Aucklad NZ

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 11, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last-Horizon wrote: brENsKi wrote: as we're staying off queen here...i will stick to the rules

ac/dc donington 81
quo 81
elton - 83
inxs (nec) kick 87
julian cope

and let's notforget...just for pure fun and laughs...the late great Frank Sidebottom 

============================

I am sorry, but I'm afraid that Elton John did not tour in 1983. He did in 1982 and 1984, though (just like a certain band called Queen :)).

++++++++++++++++++++++++
apols, am old and my meory isn't great...just looked at the ticket stub...was Birmingham NEC, 23 June '84....
from what i remember....it was the european express tour....and the  setlist had a lot of numbers from the too low for zero album - which was 83 (i'm still standing, guess that's why the call it the blues, too low for zero and kiss the bride) ...which is why i was confused....he also had the piano riser lit up and during "Bennie" did a bit of the old Glen Miller swing stuff...

so as i said, sorry, my mistake...was still a great concert tho

although he did do a gig in 83....sun city

go deo na hÉireann
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 11, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i remembered this yesterday when i was doing my "Joxer's Countdown of the 70's" on Facebook.
about 8 years ago there was a little local band called House In The Woods playing a small gig in front of a bunch of drunk locals at Praa Sands and i happened to be propping up the bar.
All of a sudden the guitarist started playing a familiar intro and before i knew it the female singer was launching herself into Sleeping On The Sidewalk with a certain Mr Jim Beach next to me at the bar singing along [albeit not brilliantly] to it.He then started moaning at the Bar Manager for the lateness of his curry which he had ordered and wrangled a free meal and a bottle out of Steve [we,the locals were impressed,this is not easily done with Steve].
afterwards Mr Jim Beach sat down at his table with some drummer called Roger whilst this young female singer called Treena Morris btw,moved swiftly into a version of Under Pressure followed by some bloke called Gerry Rafferty and Rafael Whodomeflip on saxamephone playing a little ditty called Baker Street.
this is probably my fave "intimate" gig of all time :-D

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]