Forums > Personal > earthquake in japan

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shit.....saw it on the news this morning, it was the only thing on there.....my mom looked like she was almost crying, this is going to take a very very long time to clear up to normal....i love Japan and this was like one hell of a slap in the face, still shocked by this

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Japanese liked Queen the very first time they came to their country in 1975 and they were amazed of Queen at every concert. Their big screams can be heard at every recording of every Japanese gig.

And so I want to say that Japan is a very good country and I like it. It's bad that such thing has happened to their country.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
miracle-man! 29382 user not visiting Queenzone.com
miracle-man! 29382
Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man oh man! I can't believe this when I saw it on channel 3 news! It's a bad time to be in japan for those people.

My prayers go out to them and their country. I admire the japanese for their anime like Tenchi Muyo and their video games like Street Fighter.

Looks like we just got something to remember 2011 and this is it.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So horrible.  My step-brother is in Japan, havent heard from him yet, just hoping he's ok.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope he's OK.   Keep thinking good thoughts.  I guess parts of the country could be without phone service for a while.  It is hard to imagine the magnitude of this earthquake.

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote: So horrible.  My step-brother is in Japan, havent heard from him yet, just hoping he's ok.

=====================================================

im so sorry to hear that hun :( but im sure he's ok! he has a wonderful step-sister like you :)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As if this wasn't bad enough, it now looks like the Japanese also have a full-scale nuclear meltdown on their hands: http://the-diplomat.com/tokyo-notes/2011/03/12/nuclear-plant-explosion-in-japan/

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm watching that reactor situation as closely as I can; just caught the video of the thing blowing its roof.  Pretty fucking awful.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The latest I've heard is that the core is still contained. However, since no one dares go near the plant and the cooling system is still not functioning at all, that is a small mercy indeed. The security perimeter that is being evacuated has now been expanded from a 10 kilometer radius to a 20 kilometer one. The building housing two of the reactors at Fukushima No. 1 plant has been virtually destroyed in an explosion this morning (video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzABEkkc10 ), and radioactive steam *has* escaped, with radiation levels reported to be at 20x the acceptable level in the surrounding area, and 1000x the acceptable level within the facility, meaning it is exceedingly dangerous to fly over it and completely impossible to enter it. I don't really see what can be done now other than sending in all available bomber aircraft to bury the thing in as much sand as possible.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was just pointed to this video, which was filmed at Sendai airport. It shows the tsunami as it rolls over the airport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p_6iDBoOvb0

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The sheer horror of parts of the country lying in ruins after the tsunami and the raging fires and now they are facing a nuclear catastrophe. It could not get any worse. So much for the safe nuclear technology: it's again the people suffering for the irresponsible policy supporting nuclear technology. We cannot be angry about earth quakes and tsunamis but we can be angry about still running these reactors and I can really feel how the resistance against the old and unsafe reactors is rising in my country this very moment.

I do not want any google ads here.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well it's one thing to have a 'safe' nuclear reactor in a place like the one I live in - far from fault lines and less susceptible to tsunamis.  It's quite another thing to build one in a place like Japan; a country that has a geographical "KICK ME" sign stuck to it's forehead.  These reactors can be built to be safe, within what one considers acceptable parameters.  Quite frankly though, if you're dealing with a 9.0 earthquake, then all bets are off as to what those parameters might be.  Who the hell is going to be able to build a reactor that can be reasonably expected to cope with such a knocking?

With the research into solar power that's coming along these days (such as the issue of supplying power when the sun isn't out, by using accumulated warmth or some such) I really think it's time for people to move on from nuclear.  People have this funny idea that it's practically unlimited, but A) it isn't, and B) it's only safe until something goes wrong.

Can you picture this headline?  "Massive earthquake in Japan sends solar power plant into dangerous meltdown."    Didn't think so.  Get over nuclear, folks.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason Japan has so many nuclear power stations is because it imports all of its oil.  They learned their lesson during WWII when their oil supplies were cut off.  Nuclear power is therefore the only way for them to go.  Wind farms are environmentally friendly, but it's not an option for greater Tokyo with a population of 30 million.  We're just not there yet..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
YourValentine

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem with nuclear power apart from the danger of accidents is the nuclear waste - where to put nuclear waste that will be dangerous for millions of years, it's just irresponsible to run all those reactors with no answer to this huge problem. In the news they say that the owners of the plant in Japan have a history of lying and have already covered up an actual meltdown in the 1970s. Profit and nuclear energy are a very dangerous mixture for any society. There should be a bigger effort to increase solar energy and wind energy, no matter if oil must be imported or not. It is really hard to understand why a country which is so densely populated and so deeply traumatized by Hiroshima and Nagasaki must have all these nuclear reactors.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can totally understand why Japan uses nuclear in the here and now; realistically, it's something that a lot of countries might have to consider if they want to be "greener", but it is not a permanent solution.  People shy away from solar, wind, etc. because it's an expensive start-up that isn't immediately viable for huge populations, as Bob points out with the 30 million figure there.  All the same, we really need to make a start on this.

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fear of nuclear meltdown has raised a lot of discussion concerning the safety of nuclear energy in Europe.

Rather unsurprisingly, our newspapers have already contained comments from our authorities stating that OUR nuclear plants are safe and every precaution has been taken and people should not be worried about the safety of nuclear energy. This is like some weird remnant of some form of Orientalist discourse, now suddenly the Japanese are some inferior race that cannot manage their plants, whereas we Europeans would never have such meltdowns. Meltdowns only occur to the Other...

In 2010 Finland's funny parliament granted permission for two companies to build one new nuclear reactor each. But hey, it's safe technology here, unlike in that "technologically backward Japan"... Right?

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

YourValentine

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the same here, Pete. 60 000 people demonstrated against a (probably unconstitunional) law that allows longer running times for the German nuclear plants yesterday. Chancellor Merkel promised to have the security "checked", really ridiculous. Not a single nuclear plant in my country has been built without massive public protests and rallies. Now we are told that we cannot "use" the suffering of the Japanes people to re-inflame the fight over nuclear power. I think we MUST use it because I am sure that many Japanes people now wish they had had this dicussion before one reactor after another explodes because the PRIVATE owners did not invest enough into the security of this extremely dangerous technology.

I can understand when people in Canada or Australia have a different view because they live in huge countries and it seems to be a relatively small risk to have nuclear plants somewhere "out there" but in Europe as well as in Japan millions of people live virtually in the front yard of old nuclear plants which have minor "incidents" by the dozens each year. We have  nuclear plants in Germany and France along the Rhine with also the most active earthquake region and the biggest airport in all of Western Europe. Even the fallout of the Chernobyl catastrophe had effects in my country.

I understand that Japan gets a big portion of their energy from nuclear plants but that is only because they did not invest into alternatives in the last decades. There are lots of alternatives but you must have the attitude that energy is a national issue and it cannot be left in the hands of a few profit-oriented companies. In Europe nuclear power has been hugely funded by the tax payer or else it would have never been even profitable. If the companies would have to pay for security and the huge, huge costs of the nuclear waste management nuclear energy would be so expensive that nobody could market it. The only reason to run nuclear reactors in Europe is wanting to have the technology. The overwhelming majority of the people want safe and clean energy and we are willing to fund the technolgy like we did in the last decades. Nobody needs nuclear plants in Germany today - only the companies who make all this profit from a dangerous, tax-funded energy.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just don't like 'em.  They can make them safe - incredibly safe - but no safety measure can overcome the universal law : SHIT HAPPENS.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Same in Holland. The minister for economic affairs Maxime Verhagen, who also blatantly rigged his party's congress to vote along his lines by making sure opponents didn't have the right voting forms, is currently attempting to push through permits for the construction of *three* nuclear power plants in Borsele, which is *literally* on the sea side (the nuclear power plant already there is less than 50 meters from the sea), in a location that has been severely flooded dozens of times in the past, most recently in 1953. The risk of nuclear contamination in the case of even a small malfunction is disproportionally large.

Meanwhile, at Japan's Fukushima 1 plant, reactor number 3 is causing serious concern. Technicians are pumping in sea-water for emergency cooling, a bad thing already, but it now also appears that said sea-water is not even reaching the reactor itself, which is thus not cooling down. In the meantime, the sea-water used is a) being contaminated with radiation and b) being super-heated to the point where the water molecules break down into hydrogen and oxygen. As happened yesterday, an explosion of *radioactive* hydrogen gas appears likely. So far, over twenty people have been confirmed to have suffered radiation exposure. Estimates currently suggest that the real number is over 100.

Nuclear fission is neither safe nor technologically advanced. A fission plant is quite *literally* nothing more than a uranium-burning steam engine. Anything that comes near enough to the actual reactor gets contaminated - cooling water, the steam used to power the turbines, safety rods, fuel containers, you name it. The possibilities for disaster are endless, and to make a good deal even better, the very unlikely catastrophes are still a serious threat, because even freak conditions occurring once every 500 years fall well within the range of probability, because the nuclear waste created remains highly radioactive for millennia.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

See the sixth image from the top for a before-after view of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The extent of the damage is surreal.