Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Hardest piano to play

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My friend who is pretty good at piano wants me to find him queens most technically difficult song to play.
I do not play piano so I wouldn't no.
What Queen songs could be considered hard to play?

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 11, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None of them, really.  But to capture the feeling Freddie played with would be another matter.  There are ten thousand guitar players who can play Brian May's licks, but I've only seen two or three actually able to capture the feeling properly.  There's so much more to music than just playing the notes in time.  If your friend is interested in making it a contest of trying to play the most technically difficult piece possible, then he should be getting into playing the music of Robert Schumann, Bill Evans and Frank Zappa, not anything in the pop realm.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I realise none of them a that hard for good pianists. But if you could pick the most challenging or just technically well written song then that could help me out. thanks!

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
jammythedodger user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always found the intro to Death on Two Legs to be quite tricky, but then again the intro is the only hard part

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6245 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: None of them, really.  But to capture the feeling Freddie played with would be another matter.  There are ten thousand guitar players who can play Brian May's licks, but I've only seen two or three actually able to capture the feeling properly.  There's so much more to music than just playing the notes in time.  If your friend is interested in making it a contest of trying to play the most technically difficult piece possible, then he should be getting into playing the music of Robert Schumann, Bill Evans and Frank Zappa, not anything in the pop realm. =====

Bill Evans really isn't too challenging, the problem is *improvising* like him. Transcripts of Evans-performances are available, and they are quite playable. As far as classical compositions go, I think most Rachmaninov compositions for solo-piano are quite complicated to get right. In jazz, Cecil Taylor is probably the most technically daunting of all pianist-composers. I do agree 100% with Sir GH that you probably shouldn't be looking at pop music for technically challenging pieces.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

spaceboy1972 user not visiting Queenzone.com
spaceboy1972
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: Sir GH wrote: None of them, really.  But to capture the feeling Freddie played with would be another matter.  There are ten thousand guitar players who can play Brian May's licks, but I've only seen two or three actually able to capture the feeling properly.  There's so much more to music than just playing the notes in time.  If your friend is interested in making it a contest of trying to play the most technically difficult piece possible, then he should be getting into playing the music of Robert Schumann, Bill Evans and Frank Zappa, not anything in the pop realm. =====

Bill Evans really isn't too challenging, the problem is *improvising* like him. Transcripts of Evans-performances are available, and they are quite playable. As far as classical compositions go, I think most Rachmaninov compositions for solo-piano are quite complicated to get right. In jazz, Cecil Taylor is probably the most technically daunting of all pianist-composers. I do agree 100% with Sir GH that you probably shouldn't be looking at pop music for technically challenging pieces.

Surely if the lids down - no seriously - as mentioned above it's a lot to do with feeling. I think BM's piano playing is pretty good - didn't he get to grade IV standard?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian did get to IV but by the time Queen began his technical skills were way below that. He's a good player, but there's a reason why he's more famous as a guitarist, singer, composer and arranger. The likes of Save Me and Teo Torriatte are even simpler than the average Freddie piano piece (e.g. Bo Rhap).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The hardest piano to play would be the one I saw at the local charity shop - it had no keys.  The most difficult Queen song to play properly on piano would be My Melancholy Blues, or pretty much anything else on a piano with no keys.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course this is completely subjective and open to opinion...

In my view, one of the more challenging pieces is the opening to Millionaire's Waltz. Getting the Feeling of the intro to Melancholy Blues is challenging but that whole song has a great bluesy feel that if you understand how the chords relate, isn't overly difficult.

Freddie had tremendous dexterity and seemed to work like a dog to get it 'right' the first time. He fought with the instrument and wouldn't let it win or defeat him. Very percussive in his approach.

While he might not have had the speed and skill as someone who could master a concerto, as a "rock" musician, he was among the best. He became one with the instrument and didn't simply see it as an extension.

These are simply a few thoughts...

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love of my Life, arguably.

Death on Two Legs and The Millionaire Waltz aren't as hard as people think, specially DoTL.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 655 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun it

Don't shun it!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2751 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not a muscian, but I wiil say the millianare waltz and My Melancholy blues.....I liked freddie as a pianist,  he wasn't the  greaest technical player,  but what he did do was play with emotion and had his own style.  alway;s sounded good...............Now,  Listen to the wise man.........you want to learn some good pianist try New orleans styled player's.  these guys are amazing from back in the day, .  Take a listen.....I'll start with my favorite of the new orleans groups.  His name is" DR John"  If You're interested  this DR John album is "Gumbo"  A classic album with tons of brilliant piano playing.  Next try DR  John's' Idol  Prefessor longhair.  Another brilliant one.  If you have any questions about Dr. John,  The Night Tripper give me a buzz.  He's becomming one of my all time favorite muscians.   Dr. John Rocks!....Another one you could get is "going back to new orleans"  A classic.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: None of them, really.  But to capture the feeling Freddie played with would be another matter.  There are ten thousand guitar players who can play Brian May's licks, but I've only seen two or three actually able to capture the feeling properly.  There's so much more to music than just playing the notes in time.  If your friend is interested in making it a contest of trying to play the most technically difficult piece possible, then he should be getting into playing the music of Robert Schumann, Bill Evans and Frank Zappa, not anything in the pop realm.

While none of them are incredibly difficult, some of them are on the harder side to play especially if you're not an advanced piano player. I've been playing for 12 years and it took me a while to learn Bring Back That Leroy Brown up to speed...though its mild difficulty doesn't come close to that of most classical stuff. Though as you said, it is much harder to capture the feel of Freddie's playing. He had incredible rhythm and precision that not many pianists (especially rock ones) have. And till this day, I've barely seen anyone even play Bohemian Rhapsody right because they have trouble with the hand-crossover.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
ZBGM0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I kind of agree that My Melancholy Blues, Death On Two Legs and the opening of Millionaire Waltz are probably little more difficult than other accompaniments. But there is also one song that is probably one of the most difficult piano accompaniment for Queen songs: Don’t Stop Me Now. Yes, there are just basic chords, but if you want to play it correct (rhythm, dynamic, feelings and so on) than it is not easy anymore. You can check on youtube, there are only 2 or 3 persons who play it good.

But if you friend wants to play really difficult pieces, than he should play Liszt’s compositions. Tell him to play  Transcendental Étude No. 5 in B-flat also known as "Feux follets". :)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just get a player piano.

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 21 May 11, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i will sell you one.