Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The We will rock you musical

forum rss feed
Author

angermair73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
angermair73
Bohemian: 145 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw the musical in Herning here in Denmark yesterday. I must admit that it was a brilliant performance! Really excellent! Everyone with an interrest in Queen should treat them selves with this musical.

What a great band!
Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure you had a great night there. And you may have experienced what goes for many musicals.
They look horrible on tv when the cast performs a song, it's a nightmare to listen to the soundtrack. 
But when you are actually there in the building it's absolutely fascinating. And in case of WWRY I always like the sound of the live band doing all those studio things, that Queen themselves could never do on stage.

KevoM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seen it twice, London and Manchester last year (with Brian & Roger making an appearance on stage!).

Great show which I agree can only be appreciated in the theatre.

I've seen a couple of special 'made for video' theatre productions like CATS, River Dance and Joseph and they just don't cut it on TV, which  is why you rarely see them broadcast.

But hey, I wouldn't put it past QP to try and make some money out of a TV/film production of WWRY.  They've stooped much lower before!

hen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Queenies, About the We Will rock musical on tour (Herning)  what is it with KillerQueen..... Her singing  friday afternoon was really no good???
Does anybody new why ? or is she just not better ??

hen
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the one performance I saw several years ago was a good larff and perfectly entertaining. It ain't Shakespeare, folks. Just an excuse to sing and play some music.

Blow it out your ass.
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i told you its amazing! makes me feel normal when people say i suck for not listening to their bieber and instead feeding on rock 'n' roll

tjacks55 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 11, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This show has been in London for a long time Ive seen it last year and Liked it even tho Im really but really not a fan of Musicals...but you really feel the queen spirit and the Sci-Fi story line is pretty good...I Went to see it with my boyfriend and I paid about 30 pounds, We were seating almost Center a bit to the left and could see perfectly;) It was really worthy...After We Will Rock You http://www.theatreticketscheap.com/we-will-rock-you/, Ive been dragged to see blood brothers which is completely different type of stories...it wasn't bad but didn't enjoy it as much as I did with We Will Rock You, Haven't been in a theatre since is there any new good show?! xxx

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 11, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, it's a great show - seen it twice in London and once in Glasgow....and perhaps seeing it again in Edinburgh this year!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Squidgy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 11, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure I read somewhere they were already planning a film version of WWRY but will not be releasing it until after the Freddie biopic is out.

tjacks55 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 11, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw it again at the Dominion Theatre last week! I do actually love it, even if the storyline isn't so good! Just...the music <3

saulgoodman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 12, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved the show, it was truly amazing. Did you know that Freddie Mercury was featured in Fritz Lang's sci-fi cult classic Metropolis? Once I heard that, I HAD to see it...and let me tell you, it was fantastic! Luckily for the UK, its finally being released for the first time ever in only 1 week. Go to metropolismovie.co.uk to stream the movie on demand when it drops, if you like Freddie or Queen, you will love this movie.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 12, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Everyone with an interrest in Queen should treat them selves with this musical."

I have an interest in Queen so I havent and wont see it.

Or any musical to be honest.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 12, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw the London production with its original cast a few weeks after it opened (June-July '02) and then saw the German version in Köln in 2006.
Like someone before more said, it's a great experience if you're there (because of the great live music) but it is very badly captured both in audio and video. The 'ambience' and overall audience involvement are a big part of the experience.
I got 3 T-shirts, one from London, one from Köln and a third one from Las Vegas (a friend got it for me).

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 12, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

saulgoodman wrote:
I loved the show, it was truly amazing. Did you know that Freddie Mercury was featured in Fritz Lang's sci-fi cult classic Metropolis? Once I heard that, I HAD to see it...and let me tell you, it was fantastic! Luckily for the UK, its finally being released for the first time ever in only 1 week. Go to metropolismovie.co.uk to stream the movie on demand when it drops, if you like Freddie or Queen, you will love this movie.

I also enjoyed Metropolis (not to mention most of Lang's films). But, strangely enough, I enjoyed them without even picking up on Freddie's presence! If I didn't know better, I'd say he hadn't even been born yet!

But really, this is pretty irrelevant. And as a self proclaimed 20th century film buff, it does annoy me a bit that you fail to distinguish Moroder's version from the original... Why am I replying to a bot in the first place. Gah

More on topic, I haven't seen the musical, as I don't live in the UK or any of it's immediate surroundings, though I've listened to the soundtrack. I wasn't overwhelmed, to be honest. Not bad, but not great. I agree though that as a musical, I'm sure the soundtrack would stand much better in a theatre setting.