Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Pink Floyd remasters

forum rss feed
Author

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Mar 11, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Similar question but this time Pink Floyd's remasters.

Some liked the MFSL Gold CDs (I thought they were lifeless and done before the back catalog overhaul). Wish You Were Here Gold was alright but was a Gold pressing of the 1992 remaster.

The Columbia/Sony remastered re-issues of Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and A Collection of Great Dance Songs from 1997 sounded superior to their 1980s issues and 1992/94 European CD remastered counterparts (even The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason were better). Turns out these remasters were re-done in 1994 for the fledgling Mini-Disc format for Sony and Sony (for world outside Europe) waited until 1997 to reissue these remasters for Pink Floyd's 30th Anniversary (eventually EMI would get the licensing rights to the catalog and re-released the 1997 CD versions with EMI Europe cover art on Capitol in the US and EMI in Canada and Japan, the Argentinans would get the 1992 remasters).

Piper at the Gates was re-done in 2007 for the 40th Anniversary, Dark Side of the Moon was re-done in 2003 for the Hybrid SACD (they now use the 2003 master on the EMI CD issues in Europe as opposed to the 1992 remaster (save the US and Canada)) and The Final Cut was re-done in 2004. Saucerful, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart, Meddle and Obscured haven't been done since the 1990s.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pink Floyd sucks just like your boyfriend.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
spaceboy1972 user not visiting Queenzone.com
spaceboy1972
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote: Similar question but this time Pink Floyd's remasters.

Some liked the MFSL Gold CDs (I thought they were lifeless and done before the back catalog overhaul). Wish You Were Here Gold was alright but was a Gold pressing of the 1992 remaster.

The Columbia/Sony remastered re-issues of Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and A Collection of Great Dance Songs from 1997 sounded superior to their 1980s issues and 1992/94 European CD remastered counterparts (even The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason were better). Turns out these remasters were re-done in 1994 for the fledgling Mini-Disc format for Sony and Sony (for world outside Europe) waited until 1997 to reissue these remasters for Pink Floyd's 30th Anniversary (eventually EMI would get the licensing rights to the catalog and re-released the 1997 CD versions with EMI Europe cover art on Capitol in the US and EMI in Canada and Japan, the Argentinans would get the 1992 remasters).

Piper at the Gates was re-done in 2007 for the 40th Anniversary, Dark Side of the Moon was re-done in 2003 for the Hybrid SACD (they now use the 2003 master on the EMI CD issues in Europe as opposed to the 1992 remaster (save the US and Canada)) and The Final Cut was re-done in 2004. Saucerful, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart, Meddle and Obscured haven't been done since the 1990s.

Have to say more than happy with the1992 remasters of Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds - don't sound distorted to my ears. Having said that I have the 1980's fatbox version of Ummagumma and that sounds fine to me - and yes even the studio doodlings (Roger Waters part is completly nuts!)

What are your opinions on the 1992 remaster of DSOTM?

NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

spaceboy1972 wrote: NOTWMEDDLE wrote: Similar question but this time Pink Floyd's remasters.

Have to say more than happy with the1992 remasters of Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds - don't sound distorted to my ears. Having said that I have the 1980's fatbox version of Ummagumma and that sounds fine to me - and yes even the studio doodlings (Roger Waters part is completly nuts!)

What are your opinions on the 1992 remaster of DSOTM?
----------------------------------------------------------

I like the 1980s Ummagumma CD, it does have little longer "Set the Controls" fadeout by ten or so seconds as opposed to 1994 remaster which fades out early, may have been damage to master tape.

The Floyd back catalog overhaul was well done by James Guthrie and Doug Sax. They took their time and the result showed.

The 1992 remaster of DSotM was a step up from the MFSL disc in my view. Alan Parsons had a hand in the remastering and recommended the segue from Great Gig to Money on the 1992 remastering. They used same approach for 2003 remaster of Dark Side for Hybrid SACD.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Pink Floyd sucks just like your boyfriend.

-------------------------------------------

I haven't dated in 22 years dickhead. I'm straight FYI!

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote: jpf wrote: Pink Floyd sucks just like your boyfriend.

-------------------------------------------

I haven't dated in 22 years dickhead. I'm straight FYI!

----

You're as straight as Freddie Mercury's last AIDS infected gay clone.

You suck.  Pink Floyd sucks.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 11, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why is this in a "Queen" discussion forum?

Also, @ jpf - I will agree that the author does, indeed suck (he's a rude lad who doesn't get the point most of the time), but he only sucks as much as you and Kiss do.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Why is this in a "Queen" discussion forum?

Also, @ jpf - I will agree that the author does, indeed suck (he's a rude lad who doesn't get the point most of the time), but he only sucks as much as you and Kiss do.

-----------------------------------------

I saw a thread on Zeppelin remasters and comparing with old CDs, why not Pink Floyd. Now jpf is a sniffly crybaby who gets offended when anyone says KISS SUKS!

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Why is this in a "Queen" discussion forum?

---

You can drink a nice cup of Shut The Fuck Up now.

LOL

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Why is this in a "Queen" discussion forum?

I saw a thread on Zeppelin remasters and comparing with old CDs, why not Pink Floyd. Now jpf is a sniffly crybaby who gets offended when anyone says KISS SUKS!
---

Shut up, ya' cunt.

LOL

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 11, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Why is this in a "Queen" discussion forum?

go deo na hÉireann
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Pink Floyd sucks just like your boyfriend.
===

Wow. That is about as intelligent and sane as a British National Party meeting. Perhaps you need to get laid. It might not help your sucky personality any, but at least it'll keep you away from the computer for at least a minute and a half.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: jpf wrote: Pink Floyd sucks just like your boyfriend.
===

Wow. That is about as intelligent and sane as a British National Party meeting. Perhaps you need to get laid. It might not help your sucky personality any, but at least it'll keep you away from the computer for at least a minute and a half.
---

You fail at this come back stuff.

LOL

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE, this isn't Pink Floyd's forum. You can always go to the Personal forum and discuss anything you like there. I'm just giving an advice. And don't pay any attention at that bitch jpf.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Val Lurex

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf, you should be more polite with people, shouldn't you?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That would be ideal, but the very job of a troll is not to be polite..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Val Lurex

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: That would be ideal, but the very job of a troll is not to be polite..

================

Then this jpf must be deleted from here.

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote: Sir GH wrote: That would be ideal, but the very job of a troll is not to be polite..

================

---

Bite me.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Lostman wrote: Sir GH wrote: That would be ideal, but the very job of a troll is not to be polite..

================

---

Bite me. =============================================================================================

If you were in front of me, I wouldn't bite you.  I'd laugh at you.  Not for being an irrelevant twerp, but for the fact you like KISS.  Actually, that's more to be pitied that laughed at.

LOL

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Val Lurex

Posted: 15 Mar 11, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Lostman wrote: Sir GH wrote: That would be ideal, but the very job of a troll is not to be polite..

================

---

Bite me.

========

Go fuck yourself. Don't these words look familiar to you, bitch?