Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > BBC Recordings

forum rss feed
Author

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, with the Deluxe Editions adding some, but not all, of the BBC recordings to the bonus discs, we're still left with a few officially unreleased tracks from those six sessions. 

Released:

1st BBC Session (Feb 5th, 1973)
My Fairy King
Keep Yourself Alive
Doing Alright
Liar

On "Queen At The Beeb" (UK) & "Queen At The BBC" (US)
Also, "Keep Yourself Alive" on the "Crown Jewels" promo CD single
Also, "My Fairy King," "Doing Alright" and "Liar" on the "Let Me Live" CD single

2nd BBC Session (July 25th, 1973)
See What A Fool I've Been

On "Queen II" Deluxe Edition bonus disc

3rd BBC Session (Dec. 3rd, 1973)
Ogre Battle (Edit)
Great King Rat
Modern Times Rock And Roll
Son And Daughter

On "Queen At The Beeb" (UK) & "Queen At The BBC" (US)

4th BBC Session (April 3rd, 1973)
Nevermore

On "Queen II" Deluxe Edition bonus disc

5th BBC Session
Flick Of the Wrist
Tenement Funster

On "Sheer Heart Attack" Deluxe Edition bonus disc

6th BBC Session
We Will Rock You (Fast Version)

On The Sun promo CD single

Which leaves the following still sitting in the vault, listed by song and session:

Liar (BBC #2)
Keep Yourself Alive (BBC #2)
Son And Daughter (BBC #2)
Ogre Battle (BBC #3) (Complete Version - Presumed damaged?)
Modern Times Rock And Roll (BBC #4)
The March Of The Black Queen (BBC #4) (has it been confirmed that they used the album version here?)
White Queen (As It Began) (BBC #4) (**Post Edited, thanks SirGH**)
 Stone Cold Crazy (BBC #5)
Now I'm Here (BBC #5)

And it's still possible some or all of the 6th Session, with the NOTW tracks, will appear on the Deluxe Ed. of that album.

Thoughts?

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's a disgrace that these recordings still have not been compiled in a 2-disc package.

Dr Zoidberg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno that I'd go so far as to use the word "disgrace" but I definitely agree that no complete Queen BBC sessions before now is pretty baffling.

Hoo-RAY!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should add White Queen from session 4 to the list of BBC songs not yet released.

If they put out even two of the four 1977 tracks, one of which is Spread Your Wings, then I'd say they will have done good.  Has any band released their complete BBC sessions?  Zeppelin and The Beatles certainly haven't.  So I'm not sure why anyone should feel entitled to have them all .. especially since all of the tracks are already available unofficially.  We're really quite lucky to have them.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
rhyeking

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops, missed that track. Thanks, Sir GH. I fixed the post just now.

I think what bugs fans about Queen not yet issuing all their BBC tracks is that compared to, say, The Beatles, who had a crapload and a lot of the same songs over and over, Queen had exactly 24 (or 23, if you exclude "Black Queen," assuming it's the Album Version edited). That's not really a lot and would easily fill up 2 discs. I'm happy a single disc was released, but the completist in me will always want, well, the complete set. Yes, I have good quality bootlegs, but I've always been willing to pay for official material, particularly if its an improvement over the 2nd or 3rd generation fileshares.

And to keep this in perspective, I'm not one those fans driven to frustration by what QPL hasn't released. These things don't keep me up nights. I regard most unreleased material as "It would be nice if they released it. Maybe someday..."

:-)

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 11, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I certainly don't feel "entitled" to anything but as the previous poster remarked, with a third of them already released and with only a couple of dozen tracks extant, slapping them all on a couple of CDs and releasing them seems like a no-brainer. Its not like the interest isn't there. But I don't  think that shows an entitlement mentality toward the band's material, and its nowhere near the people who seem to have actually become embittered toward the band and its corporate identity because they haven't released a slew of rare and previously unreleased material. I have a life and I certainly don't stew in my own juices, dwelling on how awful it is that something or other hasn't be released. I don't get wound up over things I have no control over.

Blow it out your ass.
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did anybody of you ever compare all the existing releases of the official tracks ?
I am trying to compile a new  BBC compilation from the best available sources

cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Bohemian: 642 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 05:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Did anybody of you ever compare all the existing releases of the official tracks ?
I am trying to compile a new  BBC compilation from the best available sources

Pittrek, can you share the original 'bad quality' full-lenght (with guitar intro) version of Ogre Battle from Session 3 that you used to create your own mix of this track?

Thank you.

pittrek

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry, I don't think I have it anymore :-( I can try to find it but I can't guarantee it

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 653 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The session 5 tracks certainly sounded better, and some of the vocal lines are now more clearly audible in Nevermore. On the original share some of them sounded like the vocal had been lowered at that point. There is still quite a lot of hiss on Nevermore though.

The BBC Version of SWAFIB sounds FANTASTIC, but it uses different vocals at some points so both should be included.

Property Of Queen Productions...
rhyeking

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, there are now two different mixes of the BBC Version of "See What A Fool I've Been"? I agree that if the differences are significant, it's worth distinguishing between the two.

"See What A Fool I've Been (Original BBC Version)"
&
"See What A Fool I've Been (BBC Version - 2011 Mix)"

Or something to that effect.

Man, I can't wait to get these discs!

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems that "See what a Fool I've been" is also one of those studio recordings turned into a so called "BBC Session". Cause from real BBC-sessions there are usually no multi-tracks existing that allow a remix.

rhyeking

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There would have to be multi-tracks, as the recording sessions weren't as straightforward as "go in, play the song, record it, finished." There are multiple guitar tracks and multiple vocals, which must have been put down on a 24 track tape. They wouldn't do the harmony overdubs straight onto the master, for example. 

I think, back when The Beatles did their BBC sessions, it probably was a case of play a few takes, then call it done, but doubt that happened with Queen. The songs are still a bit more complicated than that. And in the early days, they were still trying to put their best foot forward to the public, as this was publicity for them, so they'd take care to make the finished product as good as they could achieve, having one day to record a few songs each time.

Not having heard the Deluxe Edition tracks, I can't comment on what they sound like, so I can't really comment beyond that. This is just my educated guess.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly. That's why it's NOT called LIVE at the BBC.

The new remix of See What A Fool I've Been uses some of the 2nd. vocal take unveiled by Brian in his site some years ago.

By the way, the full We Will Rock You is released in THE BEST OF... THE KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR CD.

pittrek

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So there ARE new vocals on SWAFIB ? I didn't notice anything strange. I guess I'm getting deaf :-)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote:

The new remix of See What A Fool I've Been uses some of the 2nd. vocal take unveiled by Brian in his site some years ago.

=======================

He actually posted the song, or just mentioned it?  What exactly did he say?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to propose two additions to this list.

1.  Now I'm Here (Top Of The Pops version)
2. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy (Top Of The Pops version)

Both were re-recorded for the BBC, ergo they are "BBC tracks"

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 653 posts

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't Seven Seas Of Rhye also re-recorded? Or at least remixed?

Also, would the original TOTP video version of We Are The Champions qualify? I seem to remember it included an alternate guitar part at the end.

Here's what Brian said about the SWAFIB multitrack:

"Well, the good hot news is we DID find the original BBC one-inch 8 track of the song. I thought I remembered carrying it out of the door one night !!! It's exciting because it HAD got neglected because it didn't have a BBC label on it ... it must have been a tape we brought in ... or someone else did ...So soon we can get to grips with this little piece of history. It will be a nice opportunity for me to give credit to the guys who did the song which inspired mine ... Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. It was only recently that a friend (made on this website) helped me to find this original track ... We'll convert it into a nice Protools file and get to work!! It's interesting that we also found a BBC stereo mix of the track from the original session and it DOES have a "straight" vocal on it .... curiouser and curiouser ... Of course all versions will have some interest. ..more later.Love bri"

Property Of Queen Productions...
rhyeking

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see your point, but I have those classified in my collection as Top Of The Pops versions. Feel free to add them to your list.

Maybe I'm compartmentalizing a bit too much, but when I think BBC recordings, in this context, I'm thinking of those recorded for radio broadcast on shows like John Peel or Janice Long. Other artists who's BBC recordings I own tend to record 3 or 4 song per session, maybe some interview snippets and I tended to organize them by session, which generally a single date.

The TOTP recordings, for me, are slightly different. They're a single song performances done for television, to promote the current single (like a music video) not to showcase the band in a wider context. The radio sessions are more involved, with 15 or 20 minutes of music, designed to give a rounded view of the artists' work, where a single TV appearance, whether on the BBC or Saturday Night Live or the Tonight Show, as I perceive it,  is somewhat more flash in the pan publicity, mainly because TV is a visual medium. On the radio, the listen has to think about the music alone. 

Yes, they're worth cataloging too, but I plan to keep them separate.

rhyeking

Posted: 18 Mar 11, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just compared the BBC Versions against the album versions again and I don't believe certain BBC Versions, in fact, use the album masters. Listening carefully, their are significant differences in the actual performances, though some are very, very close in performance to the album recordings, particular Session 1.

Here's what I believe, based on what I hear,  is present in the BBC Recordings:

Session #1
My Fairy King - new recording
Keep Yourself Alive - new recording
Doing Alright - new recording
Liar - new recording

Session #2
See What A Fool I've Been - new recording
Liar - Session 1 backing with new vocals, possibly some new instrumentation in places
Son And Daughter - new recording
Keep Yourself Alive - Session 1 backing with new vocals

Session #3
Ogre Battle - new recording
Great King Rat - new recording
Modern Times Rock And Roll - new recording
Son And Daughter - new recording

Session 4
Modern Times Rock And Roll - new recording
The March Of The Black Queen - Album Edit, no new material
Nevermore - new recording
White Queen (As It Began) - new recording

Session 5
Now I'm Here - album backing with new vocals and guitar
Stone Cold Crazy - album backing with new vocals and guitar
Flick Of The Wrist - album backing with new vocals and guitar
Tenement Funster - album backing with new vocals and guitar

Session 6
Spread Your Wings - new recording
It's Late - new recording
My Melancholy Blues - new recording
We Will Rock You - "Stomp, Stomp, Clap" album backing, otherwise new recording

I'm sure someone with, perhaps, a better ear might correct me, but I gave it a fair amount of attention for each and this is honestly what I'm hearing. I'm interested, as always, in the truth, so if the album tracks were being used, I'd be among the first to want to know.