Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Similarities Between Roger Solo Work and Pink Floyd?

forum rss feed
Author

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was listening to Pink Floyd's live "Pulse" album, and it suddenly dawned on me just how similar some of Roger's Solo work, or even that of The Cross, is to some of the later Floyd work.  Having got to "What Do You Want From Me" and "Learn To Fly", I could soon hear segments from tracks such as "Power To Love" or "The Key" popping into my head, as well as stuff from Fun In Space, as though both artists were merging.  I swear I'm not on anything, and I'm defo not tripping - I reckon if I delve deeper into this, I'll find more.  Has anyone else experienced this or thought like this?  Any answers are welcomed, even if they are to tell me to stop talking shit!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TBBH, the only clear similarity I notice is that lyrics are in English. Other than that, there are loads of artists who are more similar to either.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen to "amused to death" (album) by R. Waters..

The backing vocals work (specially the female..) sounds a lot like the ones in "Happiness?".

Queen rocks!
soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually thought that myself when I first listened to the Happiness album in 1994.  The whole disc has a backing atmosphere that is very Floydish...

soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually thought that myself when I first listened to the Happiness album in 1994.  The whole disc has a backing atmosphere that is very Floydish...

Pinta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes. Same atmosphere

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't forget Roger employed Hipgnosis (who did most of the classic Pink Floyd album covers) to do the cover for Fun In Space (I still love the artwork and the different comic designs that were on the inner sleeve and the picture labels that were on the original US vinyl record.

My Country, Laugh or Cry, Magic is Loose and the title cut to Fun in Space sounds like Roger journeyed to "The Dark Side of the Moon" and was listening also to Wish You Were Here and Animals and The Wall at the time of recording Fun In Space. Even some of Electric Fire had some Floydian influences.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
whynot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not realy a comparisison between Roger Taylor and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd). Waters is an absolute genius, great songwriter. Roger Taylor i.m.h.o. is a drummer with average song writing capacities. The 4 members are Queen, Roger Waters is Floyd.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whynot wrote: Not realy a comparisison between Roger Taylor and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd). Waters is an absolute genius, great songwriter. Roger Taylor i.m.h.o. is a drummer with average song writing capacities. The 4 members are Queen, Roger Waters is Floyd. =============================================================================================

I think you kinda missed the point there!  The question is about the sounds they have put out, not about who is the more talented.  Also, I beg to differ RE your statement that Waters is Floyd - that would be Gilmour!!!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!