Forums > Queen - General Discussion > are Queen a ROCK band?

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My friends still think Queen are a pop band so i thought id just ask you all here to get some proof and tell them that about i dont know how many  people just said their a rock band or what ever else, 
any ideas? because you have to admit their music is alot lighter than some other bands music like KISS who are alot more heavy, but i guess at the time then it was a rock band

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Technically they're both, as Pop Music is just short for Popular Music.

Now, short of getting into the long and detailed spiderweb of musical influences, varying definitions of "pop" (both current and historic), let's just say that nowadays, the idea seems to be that Pop Music is geared to singles charts and the broadest appeal. In some purest circles, it's sort of a negative label, I guess, in that it implies either a lowest common denominator/superficial approach and/or result, or something aimed at younger audiences. You'd rarely heard Led Zeppelin accused of being a Pop Band.

So, what are Queen? Well, I think they're the best of both worlds: a Rock Band with a Pop sensibility towards its singles output.  

And really, that was their greatest commercial strength. They could cover a lot of bases reasonably well. They could rock out hard and they could put out radio-friendly material as well.

lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i see, i guess its just modern "pop" that's utter shit.
but radio friendly? i thought that get down make love was banned for talking about to much sex, but i heard theres a new "song" out by some white rapper called "grab your crotch!" which i think is a no no, im not a fan of rap and hip hop, its just annoying. 
but i understand what your saying hun :)

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I meant their radio-friendly material tended to be their singles.

"Get Down, Make Love" was never a single, as far as I know.

"Body Language" was and it was a successful in the US (#11, I think?)....even #25 in the UK isn't terrible, though by Queen's previous standards (Top 10s and 20s), it was a miss.

Michael user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion, Queen were generally a "Rock" band up until after The Game, at which point they leaned more toward "Pop".  I mean, could you imagine them recording a song like "Back Chat" or "Rain Must Fall" in the 70s?  Now, I'm not knocking either version of the band.  I prefer the 70s Queen, but the 80s Queen had its virtues, as well.

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This just makes me Stone Cold Crazy.

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
rubens user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Queen is a rock band that can do other things as well. That´s because they aren´t a buch of rockers who just know how to headbang. they are true musicians who like to do rock music but exactly because they are musicians they do lot of different stuff.
And about getting hard...well I don´t think that rock n´roll all night or strutter are even close to be so heavy as ogre battle, stone cold crazy and many others amazing heavy songs they used to play.
Even in the 80´s they continued to do heavy tracks like princes of the universe, gimme the prize among others.

spaceboy1972 user not visiting Queenzone.com
spaceboy1972
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 28 Mar 11, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think here categorisation is hard - a little from column A and a little from column B. I find this interview with Freddie quite interesting and raises a few points

http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-band/interviews/freddie-mercury/is-this-man-a-prat-/

Don't be put off my the title! :-)

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 01:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say 70's - hard rock / "pomp rock"
80's - rock, pop, disco (Hot Space era)
90's - pop, rock

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: My friends still think Queen are a pop band so i thought id just ask you all here to get some proof and tell them that about i dont know how many  people just said their a rock band or what ever else, 
any ideas? because you have to admit their music is alot lighter than some other bands music like KISS who are alot more heavy, but i guess at the time then it was a rock band
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i think it has to be put into perspective in relation to time. Queen evolved to capture as big a market as possible (this backfired a little from 82 onwards in the USA)....but they were by no means an exception...lots of  traditional "Rock bands" took this path in the 80s...
listen to the singles/album output form bands like Genesis, Yes, the Who, Kiss, foreigner, ...it all headed into a much more pop direction

i tihnk IF queen were still aorund, and IF they were still working together...then they'd have done the indie thing and practically every other new trend along the way....

go deo na hÉireann
lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rubens wrote: I think Queen is a rock band that can do other things as well. That´s because they aren´t a buch of rockers who just know how to headbang. they are true musicians who like to do rock music but exactly because they are musicians they do lot of different stuff.
And about getting hard...well I don´t think that rock n´roll all night or strutter are even close to be so heavy as ogre battle, stone cold crazy and many others amazing heavy songs they used to play.
Even in the 80´s they continued to do heavy tracks like princes of the universe, gimme the prize among others.

======================
aye, but "god of thunder" is quite "heavy"

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me, they're anything but a rock band.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are Queen. Nuff said.

Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
rubens user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: aye, but "god of thunder" is quite "heavy" 

Well I supose you are right...it´s hard rock for sure.
But I think that when the boys wanted, they could rock harder than any other band of their time.
Of course in the end of the day it´s all subjective : )

TyinPalmSprings user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyinPalmSprings
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Based on most of what I kenw and experienced back then, and what I have read since, they are considered "Glam Rock"

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes for me they were a rock band, but a lot of people don't like pigeonholing them. When they changed to a more pop orientation on their 80's albums they still rocked them up in a live setting which says to me they were a rock band you only have to listen the Hot Space material live

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unfortunately they did have a large pop output mainly after the Game. Personally, I prefer their Hard Rock sound and despise the poppy stuff they came up with later. they are by no means the only Rock band to lighten and make poppy tracks, Genesis, The Who are other examples. Then they would not have had the mass appeal today if they had just stayed as a hard rock band. I think the admission that Hot Space didnt work showed that most hard core fans saw them as Rock and fans of the light weight stuff in the 80's came to like them later in their career. Freddie embraced disco sound in the 80's but he still liked the more metal sounds just listen to Princes of the Universe or Seven Seas of Rhye. John was always a fan of motown and funkier sounds at odds with Roger and Brian who were more traditional Rockeras although Roger went through a phase in the 80's of using a lot of Synths in his compositions.

"Give it to me one more time!"
kruh user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They played all kind of music. But they are definetly a rock band, jus listen to a live albums and you can see that the music is very powerfull on 90% of the tracks, for exsample Wembly 86, they are a rock band!

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are a rock band. Rock band with different eras f.e. heavy metal, pop rock, disco etc.

My favourite is the progressive rock era (the first two albums I think).

lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote: Unfortunately they did have a large pop output mainly after the Game. Personally, I prefer their Hard Rock sound and despise the poppy stuff they came up with later. they are by no means the only Rock band to lighten and make poppy tracks, Genesis, The Who are other examples. Then they would not have had the mass appeal today if they had just stayed as a hard rock band. I think the admission that Hot Space didnt work showed that most hard core fans saw them as Rock and fans of the light weight stuff in the 80's came to like them later in their career. Freddie embraced disco sound in the 80's but he still liked the more metal sounds just listen to Princes of the Universe or Seven Seas of Rhye. John was always a fan of motown and funkier sounds at odds with Roger and Brian who were more traditional Rockeras although Roger went through a phase in the 80's of using a lot of Synths in his compositions.

=============================
aye, and there's Brian's solo albums, some of the songs in it were in a way a wee bit more Rock than what they made as Queen, Resurrection for example was more "heavy" than they could have made as Queen, and the music video is alot more heavy rock than their Queen videos, the fire etc, i personally love the video but can only find one on youtube and the sound quality is pretty shit. but princes of the universe is quite heavy and the video also quite heavy with the building crumbling and stuff smashing, but its not as "heavy" as resurrection.