Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Sweet Lady live

forum rss feed
Author

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looking for the best performance of this song live (where Freddie would hit those B4s.)

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie never went for the B4s. But Liverpool 1975 is a great version (probably the closest he gets to the record version). Hyde Park's is also great (love the embellishments)!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, thanks!

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're welcome!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Freddie never went for the B4s. But Liverpool 1975 is a great version (probably the closest he gets to the record version). Hyde Park's is also great (love the embellishments)!

Hyde Park is also great? Are you on drugs?


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: Freddie never went for the B4s. But Liverpool 1975 is a great version (probably the closest he gets to the record version). Hyde Park's is also great (love the embellishments)!

Hyde Park is also great? Are you on drugs?
==============

Then a lot of Queenzone members are on drugs then. It's a good version.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
marvinp01 user not visiting Queenzone.com
marvinp01
Bohemian: 210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the Hyde Park version! Its a odd side of Freddie's Voice


"I was *burp* initially going to be on Thriller! Can you imagine that? Blew it!"
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it because of the embellishments!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great Riff for sure, but the Chorus sucks.......


Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 11, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet Lady seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" songs!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The middle part with the harmonies is beautiful. The ending is pure rock. The chorusesĀ are indeed very weak.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

eYe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 382 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the Boston '76 version.

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1245874/boston-76-remaster.aspx?page=1

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Sweet Lady seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" songs!
I love it!

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: I like it because of the embellishments!

Didn't know cracks and off key singing were embellishments.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Mar 11, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: I like it because of the embellishments!

Didn't know cracks and off key singing were embellishments.

===============

Apparently you missed the point. I'm one of the people who excuses minor errors live. If Freddie cracked a note. So what? If he hit bum notes. So what? Nobody's perfect.

There's people on Queenzone that like Freddie's weaker gigs (Vancouver 1978, Japan 1981, etc), because of his embellishments and note choices. You apparently don't see that.

The embellishments in question that I like on this version are the "bring me down" lines.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 11, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought of Sweet Lady as a kind of angry follow up to Killer Queen.


Don't shun it!
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 11, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: I like it because of the embellishments!

Didn't know cracks and off key singing were embellishments.

===============

Apparently you missed the point. I'm one of the people who excuses minor errors live. If Freddie cracked a note. So what? If he hit bum notes. So what? Nobody's perfect.

There's people on Queenzone that like Freddie's weaker gigs (Vancouver 1978, Japan 1981, etc), because of his embellishments and note choices. You apparently don't see that.

The embellishments in question that I like on this version are the "bring me down" lines.

It's not the little crack at the beginning that ruins the whole thing. It's the fact that he's off key throughout 80% of the song. I swear, the monitors must not have been working at the concert because that's one of the worst times I've ever heard him sing when his voice was actually in good shape. Just compare that version of the rock intro of BoRhap to any concert previously in the year, or compare White Queen or the Prophet's Song. He's totally off key in all of them.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 11, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: I like it because of the embellishments!

Didn't know cracks and off key singing were embellishments.

===============

Apparently you missed the point. I'm one of the people who excuses minor errors live. If Freddie cracked a note. So what? If he hit bum notes. So what? Nobody's perfect.

There's people on Queenzone that like Freddie's weaker gigs (Vancouver 1978, Japan 1981, etc), because of his embellishments and note choices. You apparently don't see that.

The embellishments in question that I like on this version are the "bring me down" lines.

==================

It's not the little crack at the beginning that ruins the whole thing. It's the fact that he's off key throughout 80% of the song. I swear, the monitors must not have been working at the concert because that's one of the worst times I've ever heard him sing when his voice was actually in good shape. Just compare that version of the rock intro of BoRhap to any concert previously in the year, or compare White Queen or the Prophet's Song. He's totally off key in all of them.

===========

Well, I'm not sure that 80% off is right, but I agree that the monitors were probably fucked! Most of the note errors I hear, he corrects by "sliding" up or down to the correct note--that's gotta be a monitor issue. It's not like Sweet Lady from Fukuoka, where he just hits random/wrong notes left and right (his voice was fucked)!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 11, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Here's Hyde Park's Sweet lady. While it's not the best version (I think Liverpool 1975 is), I really don't think it's as bad as you say it is! I agree that there's some rough notes here and there, but 80% off? Nah!

It's kinda like me saying 4/30/1979's Bo Rhap is the worst version, then you say 4/23 or 4/28!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury