Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What songs do you prefer live?

forum rss feed
Author

Squidgy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am not a big fan of Action this Day from Hot Space but I love the live version on Live at the Bowl. I like AOBTD on the game but if ever I want to listen to it I always play the live version as I think it is far better live.

Did Queen ever do a full live version of March of the Black Queen? I have it as part of a medley but no full versions. I saw a tribute band do a full version last week and it was fantastic.

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

squidgy...I'm probably in a minority here, but there are very few occaisions where I prefer a live version from Queen.

For example...most Queen fans prefer the live version of "Staying Power".  I just don't get it at all.  To me, there's no comparison...the studio version towers over the live version.

I think it mainly comes down to the fact that I really prefer the way Freddie sang in the studio over the way he sang live. 

But anyways here's the exceptions:

Love Of My Life(Live Killers)
We Will Rock You(fast)(Live Killers)
'39(Return Of The Champions)
Spread Your Wings(Live Killers)

to close to call:

Don't Sto Me Now(Live Killers)

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another one that many cite is "Somebody To Love" from Milton Keynes.

For *me*, that's ANOTHER case of "not even close".  I've never heard a live version of STL that approaches the beauty and brilliance of the studio version(INCLUDING this performance).

Joey2504 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joey2504
Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen on fire - Live at the bowl are the best live album. I love this album very much :))

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Another one that many cite is "Somebody To Love" from Milton Keynes. For *me*, that's ANOTHER case of "not even close".  I've never heard a live version of STL that approaches the beauty and brilliance of the studio version(INCLUDING this performance).

I agree. 'The bigger the better', and two-three guitars beat one, piano all throughout beats piano on most of the song, loads of backing vocals beat three, IMO.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10017 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All 80's songs except Who Wants TO Live Forever

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So many of the poppier numbers sound some much better live and rocked up. A Kind of Magic, Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free are three examples which sound better live. Somebody to Love and Loveof My Life are better live too although Don't stop me now doesnt sound as good live

"Give it to me one more time!"
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: All 80's songs except Who Wants TO Live Forever

Finally someone who agrees with me. That song sucked live.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3170 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: pittrek wrote: All 80's songs except Who Wants TO Live Forever

Finally someone who agrees with me. That song sucked live.
======

I wouldn't say it sucked live, but it's one of those songs where it sounds completely different outside the studio environment. You just can't get all the overdubs, orchestra, etc in that live environment, so it sounds very "empty" (imagine Bo Rhap's Opera section played "live" with just the 4 members of Queen).

Although the song is more of a "studio" song, the one thing that I love about the live versions is the chorus--the harmonies are fantastic (the Vienna versions are a prime example). That's the one thing better about the live version--the chorus harmonies.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 936 posts

Posted: 01 Apr 11, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are many songs live, in fact also have sound great

example:

We Will Rock You ( Live Killers , Hot Space Tour , The Works Tour , Magic Tour)
Another One Bites The Dust (Magic Tour)
Radio Gaga
Mustapha
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Hammer To Fall
Now I'm Here
In the Lap of the Gods...Revisited
Tie Your Mother Down (Magic Tour)
Ogre Battle

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favorite song performed live has to be "Radio Ga Ga".....Its so much heavier than the poppy studio version. However there are many songs that Queen do that sound great live, but that one kinda stands out a bit. For the guy who said "he don't get why people think Staying Power sounds great live" then all I can say is you must be a disco lover or something, cuz that song is straight trash on the record. It actually sounds great live and has more of a rock feel...

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^

Hehe...I'm "that guy".

I didn't say I don't unsterstand why people think "Staying Power" sounds good live.  I said I don't understand why most fans PREFER the live version over the studio version.

As far as the studio version being "pure trash"...wow...just ...wow.  If that's what you think...well I don't know how to respond to that other than to say "one man's trash is another man's gold"!

"Staying  Power"(studio version) features one of Freddie's best vocal performances PERIOD.  And I love the production...it totally fits the song.  Totally bounces along!

ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liar, White Queen (fantastic piano solo!) Seven Seas of Rhye (great outro), Flick of the Wrist (fantastic guitar riff, it's a shame that this riff is omitted on the album version), Now I'm Here, '39, You Take My Breath Away, Sheer Heart Attack, Spread Your Wings, Staying Power, Calling All Girls, A Kind of Magic.

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this the world we created.......?
'39

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now I'm Here. And that's about it I think.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 11, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spread Your Wings

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Russian Headlong that a lot of Queen's pop material such as Magic, Break Free sounded far better and cathcier live. Guitar work during Wembley concert is great on those type of songs, particulary I Want to Break Free. It seemed that Queen who were predominatly a pop/rock band in the 80s decided to rock out with their most successful hits. I just wish that Queen would have had that same hard edge in 1980s studio albums as the live concerts.

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They did..."Gimme The Prize", Princes Of The Universe", One Vision", "Hammer To Fall", "Machines", "Tear It Up", "Khasshoggis SHip", "I Want It All", "Was It All Worth It".

They kept a hard edge on much of the '80's studio output.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends on my mood....the reason i never get  sick of Queen is because their studio songs are so different sounding live.  almost like completely different songs.  Some songs i might like more live are Radio Ga Ga and A kind of magic.  the studio versions are both good and catchy, but Ga Ga is magic live.  A kind of magic turns into a epic masterpiece, kind of like their 70's work with operatic vocals and amazing guitar work.

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair enough Mike...but I just think that Freddie's vocals on "Staying Power"(in Particular) "Radio Ga Ga" and"A Kind Of Mgic" were so much better on the studio versions.