Forums > Personal > Greatest Football Matches Memory

forum rss feed
Author

greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are your favorite football matches memories that you have? And I'm talking about soccer for us Americans.  Here's mine: Chivas from Mexico vs. Boca from Argentina during the 2005 Copa Libertadores (our Champions League on this side of the Atlantic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcet_gzLr0

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3052 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1993 - Partick Thistle 3-0 Rangers
1995 - Celtic 1-3 Partick Thistle
2006 - Scotland 1-0 France
2007 - France 0-1 Scotland
2008 - Partick Thistle 4-0 Clyde
2008 - Rangers 1-1 Partick Thistle

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
greaserkat

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Turkey 3, Czech Republic 2 - EURO 2008

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favourite match was a Toronto FC/DC United exhibition match March 11, 2007.  10 minutes into the second half the score was 0-0, so they quit in disgust and said 'screw this shit!' and started playing hockey.  Toronto won 5-4 in an absolute nail biter of an OT.  Good times!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 11, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Euro 2000: Portugal 3 - England 2
Champions League Final 2005: Liverpool 3 - Milan 3

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Northern ireland 2-1 Denmark 1978 - my first football match
Spain 0-1 Northern Ireland 1982 world cup
Northern Ireland 1-0 England - laugh out loud value
Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain - Healy hat-trick

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
greaserkat

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Northern ireland 2-1 Denmark 1978 - my first football match

=============================================================================================

I bet you were furious during the N. Ireland vs France and Henry's famous hand ball

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everton 0 Tranmere 3 in FA Cup,now known as St Yates Day
Tranmere 4 Southampton 3 in FA Cup after being 3-0 down at half time

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal  1999 FA Cup Semi final
Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munich  1999 Champions League final
Manchester United 1-1 Chelsea  2008 Champions League final

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3052 posts

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greaserkat wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Northern ireland 2-1 Denmark 1978 - my first football match

=============================================================================================

I bet you were furious during the N. Ireland vs France and Henry's famous hand ball =============================================================================================

Obviously not so famous as it was Rep. Ireland against France and not Northern Ireland lol.  That probably made him chuckle more than anything.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
greaserkat

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: greaserkat wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Northern ireland 2-1 Denmark 1978 - my first football match

I bet you were furious during the N. Ireland vs France and Henry's famous hand ball =============================================================================================

Obviously not so famous as it was Rep. Ireland against France and not Northern Ireland lol.  That probably made him chuckle more than anything.

Damn, my bad.  I need to get my football facts straight.  Hope he doesn't hold it against me.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 05 Apr 11, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greaserkat wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: greaserkat wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Northern ireland 2-1 Denmark 1978 - my first football match

Damn, my bad.  I need to get my football facts straight.  Hope he doesn't hold it against me. ==============================================================================

You are now a marked man ...

:)

That was indeed the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland, the latter being a much better team with less Englishmen in it (whistles) ;)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 07 Apr 11, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ps I thought Henry's handball was hilarious.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 11, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ireland 1, Italy 0 - world cup 1994,
(wasn't there...but great to watch on TV...massive moment for Irish footie fans)

my own personally attended best and worst:
december 1997???? Birmingham City vs Man City - ref played 5mins 1st half injury time.....the game approached 90mins with man city 1-0 up....then in SEVEN mins of 2nd half injury time blues scored twice for an unblievable win on a freezing cold december night...a glorious and welcome early christmas present

Easter monday, 1993.....i wasn't even going to go to this game, then changed my mind....sadly...the worst is even more unblievable and one of the worst experiences i ever had watching blues.... blues were 4-1 ahead with 23 mins left, and only Terry Cooper (the blues boss) did not notice Glen Hoddle's tactical shift....even now the last 23 mins leave a scar.....guy stood next to me was boasting about how on top of the game we were...and i said (jokingly)  "yes, but we're Blues, we may end up drawing this game" for those who don't know...Swindon scored FIVE times in that final 23 mins to beat us 6-4....and worst still, they could've had 8 !!!!

go deo na hÉireann
pow wow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 11, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LIverpool 3-3 AC Milan, 2005 CL Final

Liverpool 3 nil down at HT, grown men in tears, myself included, depressed, expecting complete humiliation as Milan were so on top, dead and buried.  Second half and Gerrard pulls one back and we end up with 3 goals in  six incredible minutes, thought I was about to have a convulsion!!  Extra time and Dudek pulls off a ridiculous save from Shevchenko, only then did I think we were going to win.  Penalties Shevchenko steps up and Dudek saves, we win, more tears from me and million other supporters.  What a night :-)

"....you don't get that on X-Factor do you"
GratefulFan

Posted: 09 Apr 11, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pow wow wrote: LIverpool 3-3 AC Milan, 2005 CL Final

Liverpool 3 nil down at HT, grown men in tears, myself included, depressed, expecting complete humiliation as Milan were so on top, dead and buried.  Second half and Gerrard pulls one back and we end up with 3 goals in  six incredible minutes, thought I was about to have a convulsion!!  Extra time and Dudek pulls off a ridiculous save from Shevchenko, only then did I think we were going to win.  Penalties Shevchenko steps up and Dudek saves, we win, more tears from me and million other supporters.  What a night :-)
=========================

Okay.  Am I to understand that there is some kind of situation in football where one teams ends up with 3 and the other teams ends up with 3 and then some kind of stuff happens and somebody wins but they both still have 3? Is this true?   I will laugh for a week. ;)

greaserkat

Posted: 10 Apr 11, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: pow wow wrote: LIverpool 3-3 AC Milan, 2005 CL Final

=========================

Okay.  Am I to understand that there is some kind of situation in football where one teams ends up with 3 and the other teams ends up with 3 and then some kind of stuff happens and somebody wins but they both still have 3? Is this true?   I will laugh for a week. ;)

During playoffs and in the final in football, mainly in the final, if both teams are tied at the end of regulation they go to two 15 minutes extra time periods with the Silver Goal rule. If both are still tied after that they go to free kicks from the penalty spot.  And thats how Liverpool won the Champions Leagues back in '05

GratefulFan

Posted: 11 Apr 11, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greaserkat wrote:

During playoffs and in the final in football, mainly in the final, if both teams are tied at the end of regulation they go to two 15 minutes extra time periods with the Silver Goal rule. If both are still tied after that they go to free kicks from the penalty spot.  And thats how Liverpool won the Champions Leagues back in '05
====================================

Thanks greaserkat. :)

So this is similar to a regular season shootout in hockey, though hockey wouldn't dream of settling a play off game this way, let alone a final. ;)  And I don't know why they have to go to some penalty spot just for failing to properly win.  What are they being penalized for exactly?  It's a bit late at that point to go back to being 14 and thinking more seriously about rugby or something.  Seems mean.  

Anyway, the shootout winner in hockey gets one goal added to the game total, meaning a shootout win would be communicated like this:

"Hey! How'd the game go?"

"Great! Chicago 5, Toronto 4. Shootout."

"Cool.  Let's grab a beer.  I'm buying."

"Perfect.  Let's go.  You're the best!"

Vs this:

"Hey! How'd the game go?"

"Great! Man U 3, Chelsea 3.  Though I'm a bit knackered because Pat Shanahan was there and he wouldn't  stop talking to me while I was trying to nap".

"Who won?"

"Man U"

"Man U the team, or Manieux the goalkeeper?"

"Yes, the goalkeeper won the game.  They always do in free kicks, right? Duh"

"Which goalkeeper? Who won?!"

"Man U!!  What the hell is the matter with you?"

"Oh Jesus.  What was the score again?"

"3-3. Man, you should have seen that last save!"

"Man U should have seen the last save, or Manieux should have seen the last save?!  Did Manieux make the save, or not!"

"No, YOU should have seen that last save by Man U."

"What the hell do I have to do with any of this! I wasn't even there!"

"Forget it.  Let's just go grab a beer. I'm buying!"

"Fuck you.  I seriously fucking hate you.  Don't ever talk to me again.  I mean it. Don't ever fucking talk to me again."

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 11, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what the heck is this mysterious "silver goal" bollox?

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

greaserkat

Posted: 11 Apr 11, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Silver Goal rule  is that if any team scores during overtime, the game does not end when the goal is scored.  Both extra time halves have to be played and if at the end of both extra time halves one of the teams is ahead then they win the match.