Forums > Queen - General Discussion > ENSUENO, One of the most underated songs.

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Apr 11, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song is  haunting and beautiful.....One of the best songs I heard Mr. Mercury sing, but the people that need loud guitars and drums will never appreciate a song like that.  for these people go listen to Kiss or ACDC!   Amazing  Song..................................................................................................................................................................................

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 11, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, it is a great song, as is the 'original demo' (if you want to think of it that way, despite being a bonafide track of its own) "Exercises In Free Love."

I wish the actual "Ensueno" Instrumental was on the FM boxed set, rather than the EIFL Instrumental that's mislabelled (though the EIFL Inst. ain't too shabby).

ARMANDO MARTINEZ user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 233 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 11, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. It shows the real potential of Freddie's voice as a tenor. He sounds so natural, and besides he sings in my own native language, which makes this song the more special to me. It would be wonderful to hear some "work in progress" of this song,( but Freddie's takes, we already know the one that is on the solo collection, where Montserrat makes a mistake).

A:M:

Posted: 13 Apr 11, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: I agree, it is a great song, as is the 'original demo' (if you want to think of it that way, despite being a bonafide track of its own) "Exercises In Free Love."

I wish the actual "Ensueno" Instrumental was on the FM boxed set, rather than the EIFL Instrumental that's mislabelled (though the EIFL Inst. ain't too shabby).

Excerises in free love was the first version I heard and was a beautiful tune.....I remember listening to that song over and over.  When i heard ENSUENDO I was blown away even more.  Both versions are great.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 11, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Montserrat Caballe version of "Exercises In Free Love," from the "Barcelona" single is pretty sweet too. Why was *that* not on the FM boxed set either?

Anyway, I'm glad there are 4 versions of that melody to pick from:

Exercises In Free Love (Freddie)
Exercises In Free Love (Montserrat)
Exercises In Free Love (Instrumental)
Ensueno

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 271 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 11, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I had already been captivated by Freddie's voice, it was when I listened to "Ensueño" that I thought "Wow, this guy can sing indeed!"

Baritone voice + Spanish language: mind-blowing combination.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 11, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that one. I love all that album.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 11, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barcelona is a GREAT Album! And ensueño is more than beautiful... is a true Dream...
The song has a nice Spanish pronunciation by freddie!

* For the people that doesn´t have a "spanish" keyboard: Alt + 164 = ñ

Cheers!

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
Dusta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 11, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oooooooooh, I love this song. One of my favorites, and it is always disappointing to play it for folks, because they never seem to enjoy it(or the album, in general) as I do.
Great topic!

It is all random

Posted: 14 Apr 11, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dusta wrote: Oooooooooh, I love this song. One of my favorites, and it is always disappointing to play it for folks, because they never seem to enjoy it(or the album, in general) as I do.
Great topic!

It's one of my favorite albums of all time....His most creative music since A Night A The Opera/A Day At The Races era.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10027 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well to be honest, I really prefer Freddie's version (Exercises in Free Love ? )

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that track (and the Freddie-only version).  I think they both sort of show the fact that he's not entirely schooled as an opera singer, but to be honest that's never bothered me.  They're both great performances.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1198 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha ! - i remember back in '85, putting 'excercises in free love' (which i think was the b side of 'i was born to love you') on the juke box in a local dump of a pub, The manager extorted; 'what the f*****g hell's that s****e! and pressing the reject button, i demanded my 50 p back but got little sympathy 'cos i had revealed myself as the perpertrator and was accordingly berrated by the clientele.
    I was obviously too sophisticated in my tastes for this lot .

. Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 11, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You mean "back in '87" and b-side of The Great Pretender, but let's not be pedantic. :-)