forum rss feed
Author

marvinp01 user not visiting Queenzone.com
marvinp01
Bohemian: 210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenfcg.de/en/neuigkeiten/

"I was *burp* initially going to be on Thriller! Can you imagine that? Blew it!"
Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

seems ok. I wanted more deacon and mercury, but whats present is ok.

The real 'gem' with be track 14

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DEEP CUTS VOL. 2 (1977-1982) - TRACK LISTING
Monday, 11 April 2011
11:36

There are no translations available.
1   Mustapha 
2   Sheer Heart Attack
3   Spread Your Wings
4   Sleeping On The Sidewalk
5   It's Late
6   Rock it
7   Dead On Time
8   Sail Away Sweet Sister
9   Dragon Attack
10 Action This Day
11 Put Out The Fire
12 Staying Power
13 Jealousy
14 Battle Theme

If this is correct, it's certainly interesting. 

"Mustapha" is kind of a ballsy choice, given how regional the overall sound and lyrics are. Starting with it is even more daring. When I first heard Jazz, I was like, "Whoa! What is this?!" Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great track and only a band like Queen could pull it off. Casual fans won't know what hit them.

Two songs with Brian on lead vocals and one with Roger (except for the opening), which is also good. Newcomers can be forgiven for thinking Freddie sung everything except the harmonies and the Hits collections reflect that. It should be a pleasant surprise for the new fans to hear Roger and Brian on the Deep Cuts discs, if they haven't already explored the '70s albums,

Funny that all four News Of The World tracks and the three Hot Space tracks are grouped together. I would have broken them up, spread them out, but that's just me.

I'm curious to hear "Battle Theme," and to see how it's edited as a stand-alone version. It also begs the question: why not use "The Hero"? It's the same melody, mostly, and is more of a proper song. Still, if it gives us a new, unique version, I have no complaints.

In a previous thread, I guessed the 14 tracks and according to this I got 8 out of 14 correct. Interestingly, half the tracks I thought were shoe-ins didn't make the cut, and that's refreshing.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm!!   I wonder if they are going to create a new ending for Battle theme (, rather than it just drasticly cutting like on the album???

Joyful the sound
rhyeking

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the tracks on Flash Gordon were recorded and mixed as an album much differently than the other albums. Unlike recording "songs" and tracks as they normally do, the soundtrack was done more in pieces and segments, then mixed into the movie along with the Howard Blake orchestral elements, then Brian re-mixed the material into the album we know. There are distinct difference between the soundtrack heard in the film and that of the album.

So, how they go about isolating the "Battle Theme," from the "Vultan's Theme" and "The Wedding March" could be trickier than isolating tracks like "Flick Of The Wrist" (which was recorded separately, as its own song, then mixed to segue on the album). I'm eager to hear what they do.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 11, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Put Out The Fire instead of Back Chat?.... hmmm....  it's not on the GH... and it shouldn't be... but it definitely should be on Deep Cuts... just my two cents.

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rhyeking wrote:

"Mustapha" is kind of a ballsy choice, given how regional the overall sound and lyrics are. Starting with it is even more daring. When I first heard Jazz, I was like, "Whoa! What is this?!" Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great track and only a band like Queen could pull it off. Casual fans won't know what hit them.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Mustapha" is probably Queen's biggest "lost hit". When they were touring Germany in 1979 the audience was demanding for that song in a way that was amazing. I don't think it ever happened with any other song. So you had the audience all night long shouting for "Mustapha" - and the band didn't play it as they had not rehearsed it.....it came unexpected for them that the people were so interested in that song. So they finally played it on the next tour, but by then the moment was gone....

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 275 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where is Let me entertain you? Pfff..

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mustapha and '39 are 2 of the best Queen's songs of the 70's

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mustapha is great and has some nice Arabic-ish guitar parts by Brian.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's what it SHOULD be...

1   Mustapha
2   Dragon Attack
3   Action This Day
4   Spread Your Wings
5   Las Parablas de Amor 
6   Sheer Heart Attack
7   Let Me Entertain You
8   Rock it
9   Battle Theme / The Hero (New mix)***
10 Staying Power
11 Back Chat
12 Sail Away Sweet Sister
13 It's Late
14 Dead On Time

***This would make more sense since Battle Theme and Hero are essentially the same song.

Get rid of Sleeping on the Sidewalk, Jealousy, Put Out The Fire which are by no means bad songs - just that Las Parablas, Back Chat and Let Me Entertain You are better replacements - each of these are not on the GH (GHIII doesn't count) and they would fit perfectly in this type of compilation.

Also the running order could use a more aesthetic order... IMO the posted "official" track order doesn't have a seamless flow....

rhyeking

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why doesn't Greatest Hits III count?

Despite what we fans might think of it (some like it, some don't), it's still a Hits collection containing chart toppers. Here are the songs and their UK chart positions

TSMGO (+EJ) = N/A
UP (Rah Mix) (+DB) = 14
B (+MC) = 8
TMLWKY = 15
STL (+GM) = 1
YDFM = 17
HFE = 2
LPDA = 17
DBY = 6
LOMO = N/A (though the 1993 No More Brothers' Radio Mix did reach #1)
LML = 9
TGP = 4
POTU = N/A
AOBTD (+WJ) = 5
NOBY = 13
TATDOOL = 1
TGIC = 21

There's one new track, with Elton John, which is par for modern Hits collections. The wrong version of a bona fide solo #1, but then Hits II has unique edits of hits (technically not the versions which charted either). And one US single, included because it's got a cool video they could put on the VHS (so yes, a filler track...but a good one). It correctly advertises itself as nothing more than it is, "Queen+". It doesn't trick people into thinking it's all Queen and nothing but.

In my opinion, it is now and forever will be part of their canon, no matter how much some fans disagree with it. If the argument is that it was put out to make money, well, yeah, so is every Hits collection. Fans don't need them, they have the songs. Is it a patchwork collection? Yes, but technically every collection is. And they aren't the first to include solo or side projects in the collections. For example, U2's Best Of... discs contain re-recordings, edits, Passengers tracks, remixes, new songs and hidden non-hits.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

agreed - I just meant that the throwaway tracks that ended up on GH3 would be better categorized on Deep Cuts - same with Princes Of The Universe - which should be on Deep Cuts 3...

I also think GH3 should be revised if and when it's re-released by Island, by getting rid of the pre-1991 tracks and instead using some of the - dare I say it - Paul Rodgers tracks - Say It's Not True, C-lebrity, for example.... this is something that the band SHOULD do since it would turn GH3 into a more relevent compilation. At the time it was released - it was done so to fulfill contractual obligations with Universal.

rhyeking

Posted: 16 Apr 11, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also agree that if Hits III gets a re-issue, it could revise the track listing. I'm fine with the genuine hits from pre-1991 remaining (though I'd take off "Thank God It's Christmas," as it's hard to listen to 11 months of the year) because they did earn their place, but were cut off Hits II for space reasons.

"Princes Of The Universe" would have to go, too.

We'd risk the inclusion of the Queen+Five WWRY, keep that in mind. It was a UK #1.

I'm fine with "Say It's Not True" and "C-Lebrity" with Paul Rodgers.

"A Winter's Tale" hit #6, so it definitely deserves inclusion (were they worried about too many Made In Heaven tracks?).

shanoon user not visiting Queenzone.com
shanoon
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 11, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

only one deacon song :/
there should have been at least Need Your Loving Tonite instead of Rock It...  
otherwise that looks quite good.
though the order of songs do not seem right..

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3036 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 11, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

shanoon wrote: only one deacon song :/
there should have been at least Need Your Loving Tonite instead of Rock It...  
otherwise that looks quite good.
though the order of songs do not seem right.. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, I agree with that

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 11, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sleeping on the Sidewalk? For real?

Why not replace it with Who Needs You or If You Can't Beat 'Em from around the same period? Deacon deserves another one of his songs to be included.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 11, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 11, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Deacon deserves another one of his songs to be included.

=====================

It's pretty clear that John wants to leave the Queen name buried with Freddie, and that Brian and Roger don't.  It isn't just compilations where Deacon's songs are minimized - the WWRY musical has only two Deacon songs.

Their falling out likely happened in 1997.  They played their last show together with Elton, did No-One But You, and words were likely exchanged on the direction of the band.  Later that year Queen Rocks came out, and there wasn't a single Deacon song on the compilation.  They have barely spoken since.

So I don't think it's sour grapes or anything.  They just disagree, and their lives go on, separately.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca