Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Great King Rat (Hollywood Records)

forum rss feed
Author

cmi user is on Queenzone.com
cmi
Bohemian: 645 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anyone ever noticed, that Queen I 1991 Hollywood Records CD reissue has slightly different mix of this track? The main difference is in silences in left channel on half of the guitar intro and in right channel during acoustic break in the middle. It seems HR received wrong master of this track as well as it was with I Want It All.

Also recently has been found that Save Me original 7" single has (slightly) different mix to the final 'improved' mix on The Game album. This original mix on CD can be found only on 1st UK/Japan press of Greatest Hits album.
The difference of single version is that vocal track is more upfront in the mix, also it has some flanger effect.

ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, you're right. That's very interesting, how much different mixes were missed for years.

I think that now we need more complete mixes database than QueenVault.com (of course if Adam won't update it with newly discovered mixes and demos presented on 2010 convention).

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There also should be another one 1991 remaster error: on Andy's Queen Page mentioned A Night at the Opera withdrawn promo with wrong Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon mix (without "there he goes again" line). Does anybody heard it? I would like to swap it, if you're interested...

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some of the surround sound mixes contain elements not present on the original mixes, and with some bits absent as well.

Property Of Queen Productions...
Adam Unger (QueenVault.com) user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Unger (QueenVault.com)
Bohemian: 347 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I plan to add all of this stuff.. eventually.  Just not enough hours in the day sometimes :)

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the Great King Rat used in the 1991 remaster by Eddy Schreyer for Hollywood Records, and also issued as part of the Digital Master Series in 1993, is a slightly earlier mix. I seem to remember there is a glitch on that track on the actual final master tape.

Yes, the Save Me original single mix is slightly diferent to the album mix, and can be found on the original UK CD release (the Japanese 'red disc' pressing), but also on the laster UK EMI pressing and even on the 1992 Parlophone pressing (the one that came in the green box).

I've heard the Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon mix you mention, but cannot figure out exactly where it came from (release, cat number, matrix number). I have the original and second pressings of the HR CDs and it's not from there. The released HR remaster is from Stephen Marcussen, but there IS one from Eddy Schreyer - perhaps this comes from such remaster.

GinjaNinja

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Wilki :)

Are there any other alternate version of songs that you know of? (apart from the ones we know already)

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there's this elusive Good Old Fasioned Lover Boy version I am having a hard time with... You'll see what I mean if you check the 1993 UK and the 1994 Japanese ADATR releases from the Digital Master Series.

GinjaNinja

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll have to look out for those then!

strangefrontier user not visiting Queenzone.com
strangefrontier
Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good spot...I've had the Hollywood release all these years and never picked up on that!!

Can anyone throw some light on the Under Pressure mix on the Classic Queen CD? There are differences in the mix to the normal release and some additional Bowie backing vocals at the end I seem to remember?

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

strangefrontier wrote: Good spot...I've had the Hollywood release all these years and never picked up on that!!

Can anyone throw some light on the Under Pressure mix on the Classic Queen CD? There are differences in the mix to the normal release and some additional Bowie backing vocals at the end I seem to remember?
The Classic Queen mix of Under Pressure is great. Remastered hi-hat sound means the improvement is heard straight away and the 'people on streets' backing vocal is turned right up in the mix (and for some reason Freddie's "thats ok" is missing!). In response to a post further up the page, there is nothing on the 5.1 surround albums that is not there in the stereo versions its just when the sound is split 5 ways you are bound to pick up things that are drowned out in the stereo version. The Great King Rat Hollywood Records mix is interesting, if you listen through just the speaker the sound is NOT coming out of at the start of the song you can hear Roger saying something and a mic getting hit.

GinjaNinja

Posted: 23 Apr 11, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Mooghead

I agree that you hear some new things due to the extra separation and different mixing but there are a few small things that aren't on the album cut (such as a football rattle in Seaside Rendezvous) and there's a small bit of guitar not present in I'm In Love With My Car. Nothing too significant but they're still a little different. And most people know that there is a longer "wind" intro at the start of The Prophet's Song.

These things are on the 2002 DTS release, not the 30th Anniversary DVD.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 11, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Had my first ever look at that Vault website. Great work! Some omissions, but great to have a little flick through. Made me dig out some of my vinyl for the first time in a while.

Posted: 24 Apr 11, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Dysan.  I have a ton of stuff to add.. already written and ready to go.  Just trying to find the time to get it all done :)

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016

Posted: 24 Apr 11, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote: Well, there's this elusive Good Old Fasioned Lover Boy version I am having a hard time with... You'll see what I mean if you check the 1993 UK and the 1994 Japanese ADATR releases from the Digital Master Series.

===========
As far as I know, 1994 Japanese reissues are very rare and out of print. Can you tell me more about this difference?

Posted: 28 Apr 11, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great King Rat (Preliminary Mix), Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon (Preliminary Mix), and Save Me (Original Single Mix) have been added to the site.  Thanks for discovering these versions guys!

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 11, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you mention the pointless Rare Live I Want It All edit?

Posted: 29 Apr 11, 02:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, but I can add it.

QueenVault.com

Updated October 2, 2016
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 11, 04:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anybody got that elusive FIRST edition Queen II on cassette with the alternate mixes on?

GinjaNinja

Posted: 29 Apr 11, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought one from the original run (though not necessarily the first pressing) but it doesn't seem any different from the standard version. There were a few problems with the tape in places so I might have missed something.

Might be worth asking John S Stuart about it, his Ultimate Collection is the only place I've seen it mentioned.