Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Royal Albert Hall "Anthems"

forum rss feed
Author

Queen1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen1973
Bohemian: 590 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 May 11, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok some news i wanna hear about who went to the anthems tour on sunday? Going to liverpool on tues and want to find out the set list or even see some footage from sundays tour. Cant wait to find out what other songs they do and even if brian sings a few songs. Hope rufus joins them on the tour also and maybe roger appears somewhere. Even if theres some new tunes etc. If anyone has a link or you tube footage please post......

ride the vision

Wijnand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 294 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just found this on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3HQtgE93fY

What a great concert opening... looking forward for more footage!

Posted: 02 May 11, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG! I'm in love with Kerry's legs :-)

Queen1973

Posted: 02 May 11, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the You Tube link "Dangerland" great track heard its being released as Rock Mix single. Didnt like the intro in Royal Albert hall with the dancers etc. Brians introduction looked a bit unrehearsed.  Rufus on drums, Concert looked full as i think there was talk that not many people were going. Ok liverpool tomorrow will post some footage on here when i get back. And does anyone know if Royal albert hall concert was on radio or beinging filmed for future release. cheers.

ride the vision

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You want to know the setlist?
Why not just go and be surprised.... (or not)
What is it with people wanting spoilers these days?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It looks and sounds dreadful. Dancers ... ugh! KE is not a sex bomb: she has a face like a man's foot. What happened to Brian May, rock god? He used to be a gunslinger; now he's some sort of ragged showbiz luvvie.

Still, each to his own. Not to my personal tastes but I'm sure it will please some.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Setlist:

Complete Anthems (not in order)+ Love of my life (Brian taking 80% of the vocals), Somebody to love, Last horizon, Rock you and champions.

3 of 4 Queen songs were actually Freddie songs.. dedicated to the people who speak rubish about Brian being an "egocentric beast"

Queen rocks!

Posted: 02 May 11, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dancers were used just for the intro.. no big deal.. it´s not a "Motorhead" concert man.. relax.

I don´t understand the comment about Kerry not being a sex bomb... this nis not supposed to be a strippers show, is a music concert man, she is there to sing and she is great doing that. Period.

And Brian.. well, according to the people who attended the gig, his perfomance was almost perfect, he rocked in moments who demanded rock treatment and played beatifully to the songs of the album. What else we can expect from him, I don´t understand your point Holly.

cheers.

Queen rocks!

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 02 May 11, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote: Dancers were used just for the intro.. no big deal.. it´s not a "Motorhead" concert man.. relax.

I don´t understand the comment about Kerry not being a sex bomb... this nis not supposed to be a strippers show, is a music concert man, she is there to sing and she is great doing that. Period.

And Brian.. well, according to the people who attended the gig, his perfomance was almost perfect, he rocked in moments who demanded rock treatment and played beatifully to the songs of the album. What else we can expect from him, I don´t understand your point Holly.

cheers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: dancers, I can't stand them. They don't go well with rock and roll. If you were old enough, and British enough, to remember Pans People on Top of the Pops then maybe you would see where I'm coming from ;)

Re: Kerry's looks, I was responding to others who seem to think she is a sex bomb. IMO she's not, and it's probably not a good idea for her to push that too much. Again, my opinion. Of course, she can do what she likes and others can get as horny as they want over her. 

Re: Brian, well a while back we had the Foo Fighters convincing Brian to play Sleeping on the Sidewalk" and there was talk of a Taylor-Hawkins tour -- exciting stuff indeed. Now we're back to showbiz instead of rock, and the same old WWRY/WATC performances again. Dull. Safe. Moribund. Not for me :(

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Queen1973

Posted: 02 May 11, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice one thanks for set list, Liverpool supposed to be more rock than opera so should be good. The show must go on and yeah i like to know what set lists are seen queen brian and roger on many tours and want to know what im expecting. Cheers will post stuff tomorrow after gig.

ride the vision

Posted: 02 May 11, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen rocks!
beansontoast user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RE:

Re: dancers, I can't stand them. They don't go well with rock and
roll. If you were old enough, and British enough, to remember Pans
People on Top of the Pops then maybe you would see where I'm coming from
;) Re: Kerry's looks, I was responding to others who seem to
think she is a sex bomb. IMO she's not, and it's probably not a good
idea for her to push that too much. Again, my opinion. Of course, she
can do what she likes and others can get as horny as they want over
her.  Re: Brian, well a while back we had the Foo Fighters
convincing Brian to play Sleeping on the Sidewalk" and there was talk of
a Taylor-Hawkins tour -- exciting stuff indeed. Now we're back to
showbiz instead of rock, and the same old WWRY/WATC performances again.
Dull. Safe. Moribund. Not for me :(

Good fucking job that Freddie never sold out and released a fucking opera album with some female.

hi
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 02 May 11, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beansontoast wrote: RE:

Re: dancers, I can't stand them. They don't go well with rock and
roll. If you were old enough, and British enough, to remember Pans
People on Top of the Pops then maybe you would see where I'm coming from
;) Re: Kerry's looks, I was responding to others who seem to
think she is a sex bomb. IMO she's not, and it's probably not a good
idea for her to push that too much. Again, my opinion. Of course, she
can do what she likes and others can get as horny as they want over
her.  Re: Brian, well a while back we had the Foo Fighters
convincing Brian to play Sleeping on the Sidewalk" and there was talk of
a Taylor-Hawkins tour -- exciting stuff indeed. Now we're back to
showbiz instead of rock, and the same old WWRY/WATC performances again.
Dull. Safe. Moribund. Not for me :(

Good fucking job that Freddie never sold out and released a fucking opera album with some female. ===================================================================================

Your point being ...?

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The dancing was ridiculous in principle, and just bad dancing beyond that.  And anybody who hasn't noticed that all the endless hanging around in the West End has shaped Brian's artistic instincts in ways that are both a little disconcerting and a little disappointing perhaps isn't really paying attention.  Or perhaps many just like musical theatre, which is fine, but people who don't want their rock and roll watered down in this way (me) should certainly be allowed that perspective.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I ever got on a stage that had someone dancing on it (ie. not contributing to the music) I would bloody push them off.  What the fuck has music become?  Dancing is for the audience to do (at their own peril, admittedly).

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

being one of those who doesn't really bother with this project, I won't take a stand in this debate :)
however, after reading these posts, seeing the clip, and getting an idea of the setlist, I will say this;

it seems weird to feature so many Queen songs in the set if this tour is to promote Kerry Ellis the solo artist. Yes, Brian is equal on the billing and his name definitely sells a healthy amount of tickets - but nevertheless, there's just something which seems wrong about the whole thing. Is it to please the obvious large part of the audience who are Queen fans?
If that is so - the premise for the whole tour is a bit weird.

and yes - she does look great. talent AND looks is a rare combination

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

masterstroke_84 wrote:

================================

She's there to sing, but she's also obviously embraced a pretty specific look in her costume choices and the chatter about her appearance and desirability follows pretty naturally from that.  She's clearly trying to be a sex bomb, just like she's trying to be an entertaining singer, so that invites responses on both fronts.

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dancers:

Queen put dancers (or something like that) for FBG in the Jazz tour.. even Pink Floyd (post-waters era) used to have 3 girls dancing like strippers the whole show (yeah they were backing vocalists but you know what i´m talking about)

Kerry:

I still can not understand what is wrong with Kerry being dressed properly and having make up for a live perfomance.. doesn´t matter if I like her or not.. do you have issues with the female genre?? haha I´m joking.

And.. about Brian:

Well..

As far I´m concerned.. Brian May is part of one of the 3 most influential "rock, art-rock, glam rock, pop" (choose one..) bands of all time.. Brian May is not only rock n roll, is not only "sleeping on the sidewalk".. he´s been part of a band way more cheesy and camp (left alone the talent as musicians) than anyone (except a few other competitors)... and being a Queen fan, and you too Holly, that way of thinking about this colaboration.. is at least strange and out of place. 90% of the Queen material has more to do with "Anthems" (music, theatrics) than with just plain 4/4 RNR.. and you know it. In this tour, he´s playing great music, varied music, with great arrangements (mostly made by himself, yes, the same person who arranged and wrote most of our favourite music), with a great band and a superb singer (no place for "taste" here.. she´s superb like it or not).

So, for me, this Brian May is the best we can get today, not the one playing a one off with the Foo, or with T. Hawkings band..

Queen rocks!
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excuse me, but what the hell is the Doc wearing? :D

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!