Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What is His gratest vocal performance?

forum rss feed
Author

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 553 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 May 11, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no clue..

I do like Lily of the Valey

Maybe some of you know better...

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Show Must Go On is Freddie's best vocal performance.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Somebody to Love...no argument there. Though he sang every other song with such passion, nothing comes close to this one.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 02 May 11, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gratest? Any live version of I Want to Break Free. Very grating.

Greatest? Bo Rhap probably.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 May 11, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Gratest? Any live version of I Want to Break Free. Very grating.

==========

Not all live versions of IWTBF are grating. Brussels 1984 is probably the best version overall (he sings it very close to the record and doesn't shout/bark the notes he would later do), Nagoya 1985 is the best version of 1985 (in addition to sounding good, he actually sings the bridge B4 CORRECTLY--only time he does that), and the most surprising version I've heard was from the 2nd Leiden gig on the Magic Tour: Freddie actually hits that C#5 on "When I walked OUT the door." When I heard that, I nearly dropped my bottle of Mt. Dew.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hitman or The Show Must Go On or Innuendo

NEOLOGiX user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His "gratest" is probably up to personal opinion. Most of his 70s recordings sound pretty awesome, as do those from the late 80s/early 90s.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 03 May 11, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Gratest? Any live version of I Want to Break Free. Very grating.

==========

Not all live versions of IWTBF are grating. Brussels 1984 is probably the best version overall (he sings it very close to the record and doesn't shout/bark the notes he would later do), Nagoya 1985 is the best version of 1985 (in addition to sounding good, he actually sings the bridge B4 CORRECTLY--only time he does that), and the most surprising version I've heard was from the 2nd Leiden gig on the Magic Tour: Freddie actually hits that C#5 on "When I walked OUT the door." When I heard that, I nearly dropped my bottle of Mt. Dew.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serves you right for drinking Mountain Dew. Only Dr Pepper can match that Mt. Dew feeling that you've just swallowed someone else's vomit .

I'll take your word for those versions. It's not my favourite song in the studio or live, and al the live versions I've heard are train wrecks.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps Don't Stop Me Now or Save Me, IMO.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
frank152 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my fav has to be the bridge in sail away sweet sister, very short but beautiful :D

s lauder
bago.vidovic user not visiting Queenzone.com
bago.vidovic
Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hero !!!! :)

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as Queen and Freddie fans, we have an embaressment of riches to choose from, this forum could run forever................and be grateful for the fact.

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3662 posts

Posted: 03 May 11, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One Year of Love is a vastly underrated lead vocal

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 03 May 11, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: One Year of Love is a vastly underrated lead vocal
==============================================================

I think this is one of Fred's worst vocal performances. He completely oversings it, and he slides up and down the notes instead of hitting them cleanly. I mentioned this before and much to my surprise, it appears i'm in a small minority in not liking this song. Then again, I love Sweet Lady and everyone else sems to hate it so there's no accounting for taste.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 03 May 11, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: mooghead wrote: One Year of Love is a vastly underrated lead vocal
==============================================================

I think this is one of Fred's worst vocal performances. He completely oversings it, and he slides up and down the notes instead of hitting them cleanly. I mentioned this before and much to my surprise, it appears i'm in a small minority in not liking this song. Then again, I love Sweet Lady and everyone else sems to hate it so there's no accounting for taste.
=============

I'm kinda agreeing with you on OYOL: Freddie's performance is technically impressive, but damn--it's oversung to death! I do like Sweet Lady's vocal (so you're not the only one)!

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 04 May 11, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

frank152 wrote: my fav has to be the bridge in sail away sweet sister, very short but beautiful :D
That ain't Freddie.

Killed by drones.
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 04 May 11, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Fairy King wrote: frank152 wrote: my fav has to be the bridge in sail away sweet sister, very short but beautiful :D
That ain't Freddie.
Yes it is.

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wanted to say I like "One Year Of Love" despite Freddie's vocal - I totally agree he oversings it and it's a shame, to me, because I think it's a really nice song.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd probably have to say the Ressurection.

The thread says "What is His gratest vocal performance".  I assume capitilizing the "His" means we are referring to The Lord.

He appeared to have no ill-effects from the three day tour.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3052 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: I'd probably have to say the Ressurection.

The thread says "What is His gratest vocal performance".  I assume capitilizing the "His" means we are referring to The Lord.

He appeared to have no ill-effects from the three day tour. =============================================================================================

Is this Lord May's resurrection you're on about??

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!