Forums > Queen - General Discussion > I've finally listened to 'The Cosmos Rocks'

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 11, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 06:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me guess: you don't think the cosmos rocks?

:P

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Sebastian

Posted: 08 May 11, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know if the cosmos rocks, but I think this album does.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now THAT'S a lag! :)

Any particular reason?

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Sebastian

Posted: 08 May 11, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any particular reason for listening to the album, or any particular reason for liking it?

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to guess it has something to do with it being Queen's sixteenth studio l.p. and being one of their best!!!

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm proudly one fan who always liked The Cosmos Rocks!

I don't compare it to earlier Queen works, but simply take it for what it is: Three talented musicians who made the album they wanted to make. There are no songs on it I don't like and some I like more, but that's same with pretty much every album by any artist I own.

I've stopped trying to convince those who don't like it why they can enjoy it and why I do enjoy it.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to hear it.  What was your favourite track?  Mine was Some Things That Glitter.  It's the closest to vintage Queen they came, I think.  But that's not what they were going after, a point that just about everyone missed.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH...indeed, "Some Things That Glitter" is great...as is "We Believe" and "Small".

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the club :-) I used to listen to the album every day when it came out, but now I haven't heard it for a long time.
I must change that :-)

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Mine was Some Things That Glitter"

I agree emphatically!  I'm fond of Say It's Not True and C-Lebrity because they sound very much like a band that cares during those songs.

"But that's not what they were going after, a point that just about everyone missed"

I don't think it's fair to say that someone is guaranteed to be missing the point when they don't like something.  I was very much in favour with the mission statement of the Q+PR project, and I enjoyed the live stuff, but the album didn't work for me.  *shrug*  To each their own.  It's like Hot Space - I'm not very fond of it, but I'm glad they did it because it shows them living up to their ideals and trying new things.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double post.  While I'm here, I just want to say that Paul Rodgers' shits me sometimes.  Only sometimes.  I really did like some moments on the album, I'll hold them up against a lot of stuff.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hated 90% of what was linked with this album (the only exceptions I can think of being "C-Lebrity", "Say It's Not True" and the cover of "Runaway" if that counts).

It has nothing to do with Paul Rodgers being there, as he works really well with Brian and Roger live. I just don't think the songs had any meat to them -- a lot of them sounded like unfocused fluff to me. It seems like in all of the bickering about Freddie being replaced as a frontman, none of us thought about Freddie's contributions as a songwriter.

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I don't think it's fair to say that someone is guaranteed to be missing the point when they don't like something.

==============

What I meant was - a lot of people rejected the album outright because it largely didn't sound like Queen.  Their taste for Queen was defined with Freddie.  Had QPR released the album under the moniker "Good Company" or something like that, I think the album would have fared far better with both critics and fans.

I'm glad you mentioned Hot Space.  The Cosmos Rocks was no further from the Queen sound than Hot Space.

Artists live in the present, while fans live in the past.  When something far removed from your usual sound is released, it usually doesn't do well.  Just look at U2 with Zooropa and Pop.  i think those are their best records next to Achtung Baby - an incredibly creative period for them.  Their last few records have been pure trite in comparison, but they sold far better.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the album on the whole wasn't bad, but there were some songs like 'Voodoo' I just couldn't get into. 'Still Burnin' and 'Small' are two of my favorites from Cosmos. I will agree and say they did sound slightly unfocused, but at the same time I think they were still trying to find their feet when it came to writing together, you know? Given a little more time and another album, they may have had a winning combo...

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: Any particular reason for listening to the album, or any particular reason for liking it? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the above :)

I was curious if you had any particular reason for taking so long to enjoy TCR.

I like the album. Cosmos Rocking, C-Lebrity, Still Burning (until the WWRY part), Say It's Not True, Surf's Up, and, most of all, Some Things That Glitter, which is pure gold. Other songs on the album also please me sometimes. Call Me comes right after the abovementioned.  

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a good album, but boy, I do miss John on bass. The bass lines on this particular album are very simplistic.

But Sebastian, are you sure you're OK? You actually like a product by Qu...euh I mean Brian, Roger and Paul? That's beyond belief!

;-)

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha...I'm with pittrek...I played this album to death in the weeks following it's release.

Absolutely loved it!  Haven't played it in quite a while.  All of this makes me want to play it ...NOW!

Sebastian

Posted: 08 May 11, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>  What was your favourite track?

Having listened to the album only once, I think it's too soon to tell. But the one track I've loved from the moment I heard it and which finally played a key role in making me interested for the whole album was the last track. Just gorgeous.

> Mine was Some Things That Glitter.

Believeit or not I hadn't liked it the first time I heard it (this version, that is). Let me elaborate: I loved Kerry's version, which made me curious about Paul's version, so I checked it out on YouTube, and was disappointed. But when I played the full record, I thought that song was great. Maybe I needed context.

> I hated 90% of what was linked with this album

The only thing I 'hated' about the album was the stupid title and the amateurish cover. But that doesn't affect the music, does it?

> It seems like in all of the bickering about Freddie being replaced as a frontman, none of us thought about Freddie's contributions as a songwriter.

I do agree it misses the Mercury factor, and that's also present in the backing vocals: they're astonishing, but not even close to the marvellous chemistry they had in stuff like Somebody to Love. Nevertheless, I think they did a great job with the stuff they had, and contributed very well. I like the instrumental bits (except for the bass), but I think the vocals are the pinnacle in this album.

> What I meant was - a lot of people rejected the album outright because it largely didn't sound like Queen. Their taste for Queen was defined with Freddie.

Well... yes and no. John's absence is as 'tragic' IMO. Wonderful songs with Roger, Fred and Brian would've been too empty with an amateurish Tim Staffell - Brian May - Roger Taylor bass.

> Had QPR released the album under the moniker "Good Company" or something like that, I think the album would have fared far better with both critics and fans.

So do I, and I DO think they should've used a different name, as that's a very different band.

> Artists live in the present, while fans live in the past.

I think that's debatable Bob. If they lived in the present and not the past, they wouldn't be using the Queen moniker or telling people Paul was Freddie's favourite singer.

> I was curious if you had any particular reason for taking so long to enjoy TCR.

I simply wasn't interested. Not a boycott or anything like it, I simply didn't care. I'd left the door open with the intention of probably crossing it some day. And the day came, and I'm glad I heard it.

> It's a good album, but boy, I do miss John on bass.

Indeed. Amongst the many talents Brian's got, bass isn't one of them IMO. Well, to be brutally honest, keyboards aren't so much his forte either, but he's always been clever enough to write songs that only require basic keyboard knowledge, and they sound great with his playing (e.g. Save Me). The bass-lines he creates, OTOH, are too much for his playing ability, IMO. And, having heard Paul and Kerry (and of course Freddie) singing those beautiful Brian-esque melodies, I'm afraid to say, even though Brian's a wonderful singer, that often his melodies benefit from getting other people to sing them.

> The bass lines on this particular album are very simplistic.

Not only the lines but the playing. John had the skills to make even a simple bass line sound fantastic.

> You actually like a product by Qu...euh I mean Brian, Roger and Paul? That's beyond belief!

I NEVER criticised the quality of their musicianship or their association. I didn't like the use of the Queen name and I don't like it now. But when it comes to their skills combined (instrumental and vocal, and in this case creative), I was always supportive.

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 08 May 11, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: I don't know if the cosmos rocks, but I think this album does.

===============================
first possitive opinion on the album ive heard! :P

well its Queen, i'll get the album and have a listen