Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian May - a true gentleman

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 11, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To all of you people who think Brian is full of ego..

Brian received an award in Holland for his contributions to the electric guitar, and on his soapbox he did not boast about it.  Instead he plugged the band he played with, Van Veltzen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBbtdbZcf3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4F0BewCRI

It only saddens me that he doesn't believe he is an innovator.  I guess after all these years of pop culture not labeling him as one, he actually believes it now himself.

The fact is - his work, particularly on Sheer Heart Attack and A Night At The Opera, redefined the bounds of what can be done with the electric guitar.  He IS an innovator, one of the greatest musicians of our time, a doctor of science and, above all, a true gentleman.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 14 May 11, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He is everything you say, my respect for him is immeasurable. Just wish he hadn't played the same guitar solo for 15 years.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 14 May 11, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: He is everything you say, my respect for him is immeasurable. Just wish he hadn't played the same guitar solo for 15 years.

Well he did incorporate "Chinese Torture" in the 2005 solo. That's a good thing, I can't quite remember why... :D 

But he's great, I love him!

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 14 May 11, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't know about 2005....... I'm a Queen fan...

:-)

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 14 May 11, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is pure class.

Bravo to him.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Kamenliter user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kamenliter
Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 14 May 11, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I had the rare opportunity to meet Brian before his Fat Tuesday's gig in 1991, he couldn't have been more gracious and humble to a 23 year old kid, asking ME questions and my opinions on Queen related stuff of the moment. He was equally friendly to the two or three other fans that were hanging around at the bar.  And Brian certainly is a musical genius and guitar innovator par excellence.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: I wouldn't know about 2005....... I'm a Queen fan...

---------------------

You missed two awesome tours...with Queen members.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Obviously a very narrow-minded one at that.
Nevermind. It's YOU who missed out on seeing Brian & Roger together, regardless of who else they were playing with.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perfect response. Couldn't of said it better myself!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Perfect response. Couldn't of said it better myself! "

I believe you.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice of Brian indeed, except for the fact that it's VanVelzen, not Van Veltzen. But hey, it's a very small mistake many non-Dutch persons would have made.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makka wrote: mooghead wrote: I wouldn't know about 2005....... I'm a Queen fan...

Perfect response. Couldn't of said it better myself! =============================================================================================

Sorry, don't mean to be a dick but that is a small pet hate of mine - that's "couldn't have" NOT "couldn't of".

In reply to Sir GH, Dr.May certainly IS a gentleman and how he's not seen as in innovator really beats me - he may not technically be the greatest guitar player, but his sound is truly distinctive and the pure emotion he puts in is second to none as far as I'm concerned.  Every time I've seen him perform I have cried - not because I am overwhelmed by him, but because of the sound he gets out of that guitar.  I was left with goosebumps at pretty much all of the anthems show in Glasgow the other night.  When I met him in January, he was an absolute gentleman and took his time to talk with us, sign autographs and take pictures.

Anyone who dismisses the Queen and PR shows just don't have a clue what they missed.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
The Real Wizard

Posted: 15 May 11, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

"Perfect response. Couldn't of said it better myself! "

I believe you.

================

HAHA... brilliant.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 15 May 11, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

one of the greatest musicians of our time, a doctor of science and, above all, a true gentleman.

=====================
and a God =)

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hate to nitpick, but in case anyone wants to google the band in question: they're called Van Velzen. Without the 't'.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian was certainly a gentleman to many of us at the Hollywood Walk of Fame presentation in 2002.

And yet.....................at the premier of the WWRY musical in Las Vegas the following year, there were 25 very lucky participants who won a chance to a 'meet and greet', hosted by Jacky, at the Paris Hotel. 

How exciting!  What a joy!  The chance of a lifetime for many!!

Neither one showed up for the 4PM gathering.  Most likely they were too hung over.

We were lucky, having met them twice.  The vast majority spent hundreds to fly out there, booked a room, blah blah blah...
and got screwed.  As we did.  At least we had some memories for the good, ....they did not.  They spent hours at the bar, cancelling their plans,  hoping to see them pass through, with no luck.  No alternate time was set up.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still a bit pissed off that in Budapest in 2005 he hid from the fans in the Four Seasons hotel (okay, he was tired because he'd flown to London and back the night before) and in Vienna in 2008 he and the band flew out right after the show so I couldn't meet him both times. 

I really want to meet the man. He's my hero.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can completely see where artists aren't up to the fan thing after each and every show.  Meeting and mingling with large numbers of strangers who feel connected to you in some way has to be draining and daunting if you're not in the mood. It's something that if done poorly or half heartedly can easily backfire.  And all these years later, it's not really owed.  Brian does put time into his soapbox and such and answers correspondence regularly which is well more than most.  So I'm inclined to cut him quite a bit of slack.

To the initial post: the videos linked are two examples of scores out there that show Brian at or near his best. At his best he's generous, articulate, perceptibly intelligent, effective, gracious, warm and just generally inspiring.  His ability to stand out this way in the league of rock stars is one of the rewards of being a Queen fan - not only to we get incredibly substantial music,  but a notably substantial human being as well.  It's something we can be really proud about.

That said, few of us are consistent in every moment or every facet of our lives so I'd argue against the videos somehow laying waste to the idea that Brian can and does sometimes operate from a place of rather significant ego.  In overseeing his animal rights manifesto for example, he's about as far from a gentleman as one can get.  He's actually frequently stunningly intolerant, verbally abusive, illogical and seemingly operating with an ego about the size of a truck.  So he's got it in him, no question.

YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: Hate to nitpick, but in case anyone wants to google the band in question: they're called Van Velzen. Without the 't'.

===

I already said it, but hey. And it's VanVelzen.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 17 May 11, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

In overseeing his animal rights manifesto for example, he's about as far from a gentleman as one can get.  He's actually frequently stunningly intolerant, verbally abusive, illogical and seemingly operating with an ego about the size of a truck.

====================

Why should he be tolerant of people who spread propaganda to bring back the hunt to kill harmless animals?