Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Foo Fighters covered Tie Your Mother Down at the weekend

forum rss feed
Author

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 11, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the Radio 1 roadshow but i cant do a link at the moment but its on youtube and its excellent!!!

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, they do it quite a lot actually - anytime I've heard it, they've always nailed it.  We all know how much of an inspiration Queen were to the Foos, so they'd have to do it justice lol

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anybody that can cover a Queen song and do it well, is good in my eyes and that performance was very good

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user is on Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strangely enough, much better than QPR, IMHO.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here you go (until the BBC pull the video at least)

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it sounds horrible. Neither TH or Dave Grohl are very good singers. Grohl can just about carry a tune in the studio but on stage his vocal shortcomings are very obvious.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
bill_lbk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was a fantastic Foo Fighters gig all live on BBC3, I cant believe Radio 1 pulled it before the end when it was their gig!

Lady Ga Ga also gave BM & Queen a big mention before she played "You and I" that BM has played on on her new album - it's ok, dont panic it wasnt the Queen song

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What must it feel like to be able to play & sing this song full on??!!

Lucky crowd indeed.

Awesome.

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
jaq user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 19:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Foos have to be good on TYMD now - how many times have they done it? RnR HoFame '01 was so-so, Bri/Rog walked them through it a coupla times later too. I admit to feeling "jealous" it's them up there getting the glory for the song's massive fun and not our non-existent Queen:PP They nailed the big massive sound by now, though the notes aren't crisp or something, it's all a bit blur/reverb-y (or was Wembley '86 just mixed better?) No-one's ever sung it with attention to playing the "dirty louse" throwing up the V-sign to the mums'n'dads either, and its other face of the cooing cradle-robber ("I want it/ every inch of your love" ad-libs.)

As Brian said it's just Excuse to make some noise, and done well...just don't forget the standard bearers, please...:P

gold2040 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: I think it sounds horrible. Neither TH or Dave Grohl are very good singers. Grohl can just about carry a tune in the studio but on stage his vocal shortcomings are very obvious.
I considered Dave to be a pretty competent singer actually, I haven't seen the video, yet though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9hKQ6NFEks

EDIT: after listening to Taylor sing, I'd prefer Daves vocal's

Shumway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 16 May 11, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a better (IMO) clip of the Foo Fighters (with Brian & Roger) singing the same song at Hyde Park in London, June 17th 2006 (apparently) here: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDSFvckzV4

Taylor Hawkins even does a little Freddie-style vocal ad-libbing at the beginning. (There are other versions of the same performance on Youtube that have attracted more views, but they do not include TH's vocal ad-libbing).

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TBH i have never really been interested in the Foo Fighters until recently and i have been looking back at some of the things they have done especially with Brian and Roger and i think its very good that a lot of artists these days are influenced in some way by Queen

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

I think it sounds horrible. Neither TH or Dave Grohl are very good singers. Grohl can just about carry a tune in the studio but on stage his vocal shortcomings are very obvious.

===========

You're right, but when you're at the show it simply doesn't matter.  The Foos have an incredible energy live.

Their voices are no worse than Mick Jagger's has been for the last 30+ years.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Holly2003 wrote:

I think it sounds horrible. Neither TH or Dave Grohl are very good singers. Grohl can just about carry a tune in the studio but on stage his vocal shortcomings are very obvious.

===========

You're right, but when you're at the show it simply doesn't matter.  The Foos have an incredible energy live.

Their voices are no worse than Mick Jagger's has been for the last 30+ years.

- - - - - - - - - - - >

agree 100%

I believe judging DG or TH´s skills as singers by their live performances when playing with such energy is completely wrong.

And I do believe both are very good singers, btw.

TH caught my attention as a singer years ago with the Foo´s tune "Cold Day In The Sun"; and after devouring his two solo efforts with the Coattail Riders I´ll always deffend him.

And Dave Grohl ... well, catch him in a more relaxed mood (the Skin And Bones album, for instance) and he´ll prove he´s good at singing. February Stars and Best Of You, amongst others, from that album are sublime !

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheesh, all I said was It think it sounds horrible. It's a video of a performance, obviously not the actual show itself (to quote Steve Martin, "Is that him?" "No, that's just a picture of him, he's much bigger than that.") Maybe the hot dogs were great at the show too. It doesn't change the fact that the vocal performance in the video is grim.

I actually have most of FF's CDs and I like maybe 30% of what they do. DG does sound quite good at times ... in the studio.  However, the live CD S&B exposes the limitations of DG's voice, as do tv broadcasts of live shows. TH is a poor singer. Whatever. He's loaded and having fun. Good luck to him.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
ShipOfFools user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 19 May 11, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They're a very good band, but they don't give the song justice. I'm glad that they attempted it, though. :)

borap1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 19 May 11, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They covered it at a US arena show this week as well. Hoping it becomes a staple of their live act for this tour, as few bands cover it as well as they do. The Foos have an energy level to them that would have made late-'70s Queen proud.

koldweather123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 19 May 11, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The funny thing is about that youtube link someone posted earlier, the improv that was done before WWRY/TYMD even had a similar tone/raspy quality to Freddie's in say 85 and his later 86 shows when his voice was a little more tired.