Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Where's the Love for 'SCANDAL'??

forum rss feed
Author

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 May 11, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority here, but SCANDAL is one of my favorite Queen songs, and definitely one of my favorite tracks from The Miracle (maybe THE favorite).  Yet it seems to have received little love from the band itself, and that surprises me, and has for quite some time now.

When Greatest Hits II was released, I was shocked to see all the singles from The Miracle were included EXCEPT Scandal.  This, of course, meant fans of the song were also left without an official video release as well, as the song was missing from Greatest Flix II.

I realize the song only peaked at #25 on the U.K. chart, but The Miracle (single) only peaked at #21, I'm Going Slightly Mad only made it to #22, and yet THEY were both included on Hits II and Flix II.  In fact, I had to wait until the Greatest Video Hits II DVD release to FINALLY get a decent looking (and sounding) copy of the video... for one of my favorite songs!

So why the lack of love?  Is it simply because Brian and Roger don't care much for the song (or the video, based on their commentary on the Video Hits II DVD)??  I don't have any idea if Freddie had any say in what was included on the Hits II release (as it came out late 1991 when he was quite ill, etc.), but I've always wondered about this.

Anyway, I've always thought the song deserved better - I friggin' love the track!

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 528 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got the impression Brian wrote it. It seems very much from the heart (whoever wrote it) and maybe it's a little painful.

Martin

Martin
Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 528 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I forgot to say I love the song - and consider it one of the best off The Miracle.

Martin

Martin
dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great track. I was surprised they disliked it. I'll have to watch the video ago, but I remember thinking it cool.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Always loved that song. Apart from the overexposed four singles that were on GH2 this track has a special place in my heart.

But do listen to the extended mix. And play it loud.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

malicedoom

Posted: 17 May 11, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The extended mix of Scandal??  I couldn't agree more.  That's my favorite 12" mix from Queen.  Incredible job done there.

I also love the video for Scandal.  The set is incredible and, to me, it's really the last time you get to see Freddie completely 'do his thing' out there and the last time I thought he still looked pretty damn good - compared to a bit sick in The Miracle (plus the band is hardly in that video), incredibly thin in I'm Going Slightly Mad and, as we all know, barely there at all in These Are The Days Of Our Lives.  I'm still amazed he even showed up for the last 2 video shoots, but that was Freddie...

Dr Zoidberg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote: Great track. I was surprised they disliked it. I'll have to watch the video ago, but I remember thinking it cool.
================================

I assumed it was the video they didn't care for, as opposed to the song, at least based on the GVH2 commentary - especially the bit where Roger says something to the effect of there being nothing scanalous about a video for a song called "Scandal" (which, I suppose, is fair criticism).

But, yeah, great song.

Hoo-RAY!
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard it quite a few times on the radio here in the 90's and they still sometimes play it. I do like it but it's not the best thing they did.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scandal: Preachy and screechy.  Not my favourite.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: Scandal: Preachy and screechy.  Not my favourite. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nifty guitar solo though :)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The main thing that always stood out to me about "Scandal" was that Freddie's voice was approaching his '70's voice.  The backing track was very "'80's" but his voice sounded kinda like it did on "News Of The World".

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Scandal!  The guitar work is very strong on it, it's quite a heavy piece and yes, with Freddie's voice in 70s shape, is very typical Queen.  But it's not the best song on The Miracle - that would be Breakthru, IMHO.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Banawig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of my favourite Queen songs too!  Gotta love the extended version - do you think that Brian had any say with regard to his blistering run up the guitar neck (at end of his solo) being cut from the single version?  He must have been slightly gutted - it's an awesome run - and I'm sure in terms of track length there's still room for it in single release, I think it's just been dropped out the mix?

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 17 May 11, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy...I tend to agree with your assessment that "Breakthru" is the best song on "The Miracle".  There are a lot of good songs on it, though.  Kashoggi's Sip, The Miracle, I Want It All, Rain Must Fall and Was It All Worth It are also really good.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 18 May 11, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it, better than the likes of My Baby Does Me, Rain Must Fall and Invisibel Man which were just too poppy for me. Love the Solo and the 12" mix.

"Give it to me one more time!"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 18 May 11, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with Roger on this song.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 18 May 11, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Scandal and especially the video, as somebody mentioned above the last time you really see an energetic Freddie

malicedoom

Posted: 18 May 11, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about Brian's guitar run on the extended version - it's INCREDIBLE and something I look forward to every time I play the 12" mix.  I'm not sure how it would have sounded in the single version though - maybe it would have been too much?  Not sure, but it goes perfectly with the extended mix.

Also:

"I've heard it quite a few times on the radio here in the 90's and they still sometimes play it. I do like it but it's not the best thing they did."

You know what's sad?  How RIDICULOUS that statement sounds to me.  And by that I mean, the idea of hearing ANYTHING from Queen (1980s or 1990s, that is) on the radio... here in the USA.  It just does not happen.  I'd freakin' lose it if Scandal came on any radio station here.  Capitol did such a poor job of promoting The Miracle here (especially the 'Breakthru' and 'Scandal' singles), it really is a shame.  The one thing you DO hear at least a bit these days is 'I Want It All' because it pops up on quite a few different TV commercials from time to time - and is always a treat to hear.

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts

Posted: 18 May 11, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not one of my favourites but I like it. And I love the video.

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 275 posts

Posted: 18 May 11, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm here, i love the song, the video, the guitar solo, the voice!

I LOVE IT!