Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Regarding Freddie's Health...

forum rss feed
Author

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 May 11, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From all I've read (and I've read quite a bit) and sifted through, it sound like the true story regarding Freddie's health pretty much follows what Jim Hutton put down in his book.

Freddie had already gone 'full blown AIDS' by 1987, when he came down with Kaposi’s sarcoma and had himself tested to find out what it was.  Most sources state that by the time those lesions appear, the immune system likely has already been severely weakened - I assume that means you've already gone full blown AIDS.

This is interesting to me because I had always thought Freddie had simply found out he was HIV positive in 1987 (it even states this in the book included with the Freddie Mercury Solo Collection - which I was reading over again the other day).  The fact is, his illness was far more advanced by the time he realized what was going on and was tested.

So Freddie made it another 4+ years with full blown AIDS?  That's pretty amazing.  I realize he had access to the best health care available, but I'm still surprised and happy he was able to last that long, as I didn't think that was even possible given what medical science had to offer back then.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is all these years, I've been thinking "Man, if Freddie could have held out another year or so, he might still be around becaue of the advances that were made that can now keep a person HIV positive for countless years." - when in fact, if he was already full blown by 1987, it's pretty incredible (and great, of course) that he was able to last as long as he did.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
marvinp01 user not visiting Queenzone.com
marvinp01
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 20 May 11, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to read a meaningful topic every now and again. That is incredible thanks

"I was *burp* initially going to be on Thriller! Can you imagine that? Blew it!"
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 21 May 11, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In regards to when he exactly contracted the HIV, it is unknown but a lot of people (including Peter Freestone, his personal assistant) believe he caught it as early as 1979 or 1980. This is because it takes a while to develop. But, I know almost for sure he started suffering from HIV related symptoms during the Magic Tour as you can tell her looks much more frail compared to the year before that. 

So in other words, it is unknown how long Freddie lived with HIV, but he definitely had the disease before 1987.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 21 May 11, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

20 years later and people are still speculating.... ffs..

And91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 21 May 11, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some time ago a friend sent me a pic who seen something in Freddie's arm during Live Aid gig. Look at the pic.

http://i52.tinypic.com/16j21xi.jpg

This can be some birthmark or probably he hit something, but it looked Kaposi's Sarcoma in early stage too.

I dont think it can be kaposi but either way the image is there. It is a frame captured during Hammer To Fall.
Someone believe it was Kaposi's sarcoma? At that time ?

PS: Is well known Freddie developed Kaposi's Sarcoma. To record the clip of "These are the days" he had to put a very heavy makeup in his face to hide the disease. Still visible anyway

http://i53.tinypic.com/28aufkz.jpg

It's sad to talk about it, but are facts

Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 21 May 11, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why do people say he looks "frail" on the Magic Tour anyway? To me, he still looks all muscular and in shape (if anything, he looks more puffy in the face). You want a frail-looking Freddie? Look at his last couple videos.

http://www.weblogmusic.com/img/legends/freddiemercury.jpg
http://www.queenlive.ca/queen/live%20pics/86-06-07_Stockholm_05.jpg

In those pictures, I don't see a frail man--I see a guy who looks good!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
And91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, Freddie looks strong in Magic Tour. For me, he is still good shape at that time.

There is a clear example of how the disease progresses in the period 1987 to 1988.

We can see an energic Freddie in his first appearance alongside Montserrat Caballe at Ibiza Ku Club in May 1987 to sing Barcelona. To me, he looks like Freddie from Works Tour without Moustache. Energic and strong. This is the Freddie who touring with Queen all those years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-SAEfMccY

But if you get the video of second presentation of Barcelona at La Nit, in Out. 1988, Freddie looks different. About a year and five months separate the first presentation of the second, but for Freddie seems that passed a lot of years. Apparently he have lost a part of energy that he had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixz_r7v51E

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@and91

I always thought the mark on his arm was just a bruise

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, I've been beaten to the Live Aid point - I always thought it was a lesion, too...

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can see his AIDS scars in the video for "Bohemian Rhapsody", which is incidentally what the song is all about.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Ruperto Pesto - FER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 22 May 11, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And91 wrote:

Some time ago a friend sent me a pic who seen something in Freddie's arm during Live Aid gig. Look at the pic.

http://i52.tinypic.com/16j21xi.jpg

This can be some birthmark or probably he hit something, but it looked Kaposi's Sarcoma in early stage too.

I dont think it can be kaposi but either way the image is there. It is a frame captured during Hammer To Fall.
Someone believe it was Kaposi's sarcoma? At that time ?

PS: Is well known Freddie developed Kaposi's Sarcoma. To record the clip of "These are the days" he had to put a very heavy makeup in his face to hide the disease. Still visible anyway

http://i53.tinypic.com/28aufkz.jpg

It's sad to talk about it, but are facts

------------------- -------------------

No, that scars in live aid were not Sarcoma...this marks you can notice if you watch the gigs in Argentina in '81 or in Rock in Rio in '85. You can see scars if you look at Freddie's forehead while he sings WATC in Budapest.

Cuidate, querete, ojito, ojete
LAP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have read in a few books along the way that Freddie was interviewed in 1986 and he stated he was tested for AIDS late 85 and that he was OK and he is fine...either the results were dubious (as this was common in the mid 80's with AIDS tests) or Freddie was trying to just throw journos of the scent of rumours beginning to surface! Personnally I think in the "I want it All" clip he looks OK, however older with the greying stubble, somewhat he looks tougher, meaner and serious for business! I like the look. We can see on the close ups however if we want to be picky that there are blemishes and signs of KS trying to be hidden by the thick layer of make up. In the 'Scandal" clip he looks very thin and his hair has also thinned out. So, I thibnk as the year 89 progressed through each video release after "Breakthru", Freddie is increasingly looking unwell!

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd agree.  I never really thought he looked ill in The Miracle video until recently when I looked it again - both the video itself and some stills of him with the band and the kids.

Freddie had a very sad/ill look in his eyes at times (from late '89 on) and I saw it appear in one of the stills from The Miracle video shoot.  He must have been feeling awful at the time.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
monsieur mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 27 May 11, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And91 wrote: For me, Freddie looks strong in Magic Tour. For me, he is still good shape at that time.

There is a clear example of how the disease progresses in the period 1987 to 1988.

We can see an energic Freddie in his first appearance alongside Montserrat Caballe at Ibiza Ku Club in May 1987 to sing Barcelona. To me, he looks like Freddie from Works Tour without Moustache. Energic and strong. This is the Freddie who touring with Queen all those years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-SAEfMccY

But if you get the video of second presentation of Barcelona at La Nit, in Out. 1988, Freddie looks different. About a year and five months separate the first presentation of the second, but for Freddie seems that passed a lot of years. Apparently he have lost a part of energy that he had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixz_r7v51E
An interesting post. I agree that Freddie looked really good during the Ibiza performance in May 1987. If anything, he looked in better shape than in '86, hence your comparison with the Works tour rather than Magic. But I disagree with your second point. I think Freddie looked fine at La Nit. If he seemed fuller in the face, then that was precisely how he looked in '86. Indeed, if you put a moustache on him, I reckon he would look exactly how as he did in the 'Time' video. I don't think he displayed vastly reduced energy levels either. He seemed pretty animated during 'the fire of nations' part. In any case, it is hard to compare the two performances because they were in different contexts. I believe the King and Queen of Spain were at La Nit. Perhaps he wanted to look more statesmanlike there. I don't think Freddie looks at all bad until The Miracle video, when the weight loss becomes visible in his face.

YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 29 May 11, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LAP wrote:  In the 'Scandal" clip he looks very thin and his hair has also thinned out.

====

His hair had already thinned out a few years before that, he just did his best to hide it. And look at Live Aid, it's a huge combed mess. Try freeze-framing the Breakthru video, there are two or three very brief frames where you can see how bald he was by then and it's much worse than you'll ever see it when he combed it neatly.