Forums > Personal > The importance of back up

forum rss feed
Author

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 11, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last Sunday night, I was watching some tv show on my notebook when it suddenly turned off and a "disc error" message appeared. I tried to restart it several times but to no avail.
Now apparently the hard disc is broken and the info, alas, couldn't be recovered. The technician is still working on it, I hope he gives me some good news in a couple of hours.
A few weeks ago I was thinking of doing back up of the hard disc but I was like "ok, I'll do it later, nothing's going to happen, the notebook is new". NO. Now learn from my mistake and go save your data.

Sorry, I'm a bit concerned and I needed to share.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 24 May 11, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, don't jar.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 24 May 11, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh no!  My hard drive crashed twice in the last month and a half, had to get it replaced the otehr day.  Thankfully they were able to retrieve all my data.  Hope u get everything back!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 24 May 11, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chances are your data is still there, but it could be expensive to recover.  In that event, it's all about how much the data is worth to you.

Myself, I back up all of my data regularly.  DVD-Rs are cheap, and it takes 5 minutes to copy 4.5 Gb over.  But I also learned the hard way many years back.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 24 May 11, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when you get it back ask it if it saw my laptop, its been utterly fucked for ages, laptop never work with me, they work against me

Posted: 24 May 11, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone mentioned price -- i have heard people quoted rediculous prices for data retrieval, its crazy!  The guy who fixes my laptop when it has problems works from home and i have had him retrieve data a couple times for me, and he has only ever charged me about Euro 50 for it (so far).  A friend of mine went to him after being told that it would cost several hundred and have to be shipped to another city... he also charged her E50.  I am so lucky.

Posted: 24 May 11, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^ and that was a really random post lol

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just been told that the hard disc is completely broken. :(
What I most regret having lost is all my pictures and a lot of Queen rare stuff :(