http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QOoH-Okd0U

and John Lennon's "God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3ic6OOXns

"and maybe next time we WILL bring back an orchestra"
Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 May 11, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably no coincidence as Brian May used to play that particular Lennon song on his 93 Tour. And he didn't get the permission to use it on his live-album.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, Yoko blocked the release of it.  She was within her moral rights (apparently that's a thing, although it's been a while since I did copyright class) to block the cover, although I'm still not sure why she felt that way.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: Yeah, Yoko blocked the release of it.  She was within her moral rights (apparently that's a thing, although it's been a while since I did copyright class) to block the cover, although I'm still not sure why she felt that way.
----

Yoko didn't block the release. Brian May (or his people) wrote the Lennon estate, asking for permission to use the song and the Lennon estate never replied. Yoko didn't actually deny permission, she just did not respond.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, but she's such a passive-aggressive bitch that it's practically the same as blocking it.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 26 May 11, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what I have heard way back then the problem was, that Brian May changed the lyrics at the end from "Beatles" in "Queen", and also removed the "Yoko and me" line from the song. And that was the "no go" for the Lennon estate.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote: Zebonka12 wrote: Yeah, Yoko blocked the release of it.  She was within her moral rights (apparently that's a thing, although it's been a while since I did copyright class) to block the cover, although I'm still not sure why she felt that way.
----

Yoko didn't block the release. Brian May (or his people) wrote the Lennon estate, asking for permission to use the song and the Lennon estate never replied. Yoko didn't actually deny permission, she just did not respond.

V.
====

When it comes to formal requests like this (i.e. written requests by registered mail), not responding = denying permission. It's just the impolite way of denying permission.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Forgive my ignorance on copyright, but how does that work anyway?

He can play it live at his concert WITHOUT needing permission but needs permission to release it on an album, etc.?

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."

Posted: 26 May 11, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can play live any song you like.

But when you record a song for a public release and you change the arrangement or the lyrics, then you need the permission of the writer. 
I think it's fair game. Imagine you write a song and someone turns it into something you did not intend - but it is labelled as your composition....

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Full respect to Yoko, she's had 31 years of indescribable pain, she's in charge of the legacy, that's the end of it.

Master  marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 26 May 11, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ what he said.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 27 May 11, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

master marathon runner wrote: Full respect to Yoko, she's had 31 years of indescribable pain, she's in charge of the legacy, that's the end of it.

Master  marathon runner

Yeah.... but she broke up The Beatles. 

The bitch!

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 27 May 11, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bigV wrote: master marathon runner wrote: Full respect to Yoko, she's had 31 years of indescribable pain, she's in charge of the legacy, that's the end of it.

Master  marathon runner

Yeah.... but she broke up The Beatles. 

The bitch!

V. .

.That's another forum.

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner

Posted: 27 May 11, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah.... but she broke up The Beatles.   The bitch!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
One of the biggest errors in rock history. She did not break them up.
If she had been the reason, both Ringo and George would not have carried on recording with John and Yoko... 

The story is much deeper -  but this is the wrong forum....

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 27 May 11, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

absolutely right!
she didn't break up the beatles....she was one of several factors that helped to highlight cracks that were already there

the relationship between lennon/mccartney had not been great for about 3 yrs

some of  the contributions to the breakdown were:

the influence of non-band members - wives/girlfriends
friends with ready supplies of mindbending and paranoia-inducing drugs
management choices  Klein rather than Eastman
george and ringo getting sick of the arguments - and disappearing (on skiing trips and such like)
lennon's heroin addiction resulting in his invisibility for huge chunks of time

but the overriding key nail was Klein's near-bankrupting them...that was the final nail...and the Macca's need to break up the band to prevent them going broke (listen to the abbey road medley - it's all there)
if you've watched the Let It Be rehearsals film you can actually see the band breaking up
they had worked together almost continually for ten yrs....george was developing as a writer and wanted more room to express himself, lennon and mcacrtney were heading in different directions musically and were sick of each other

fact is, that as much as i have always love the beatles...lennon mccartney (and those they trusted) behaved like arseholes at the one time in the band's existence when it could least be afforded

the one's who came out of it with their self-respect intact were George and Ringo

go deo na hÉireann
Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 27 May 11, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: absolutely right!
she didn't break up the beatles....she was one of several factors that helped to highlight cracks that were already there

the relationship between lennon/mccartney had not been great for about 3 yrs

some of  the contributions to the breakdown were:

the influence of non-band members - wives/girlfriends
friends with ready supplies of mindbending and paranoia-inducing drugs
management choices  Klein rather than Eastman
george and ringo getting sick of the arguments - and disappearing (on skiing trips and such like)
lennon's heroin addiction resulting in his invisibility for huge chunks of time

but the overriding key nail was Klein's near-bankrupting them...that was the final nail...and the Macca's need to break up the band to prevent them going broke (listen to the abbey road medley - it's all there)
if you've watched the Let It Be rehearsals film you can actually see the band breaking up
they had worked together almost continually for ten yrs....george was developing as a writer and wanted more room to express himself, lennon and mcacrtney were heading in different directions musically and were sick of each other

fact is, that as much as i have always love the beatles...lennon mccartney (and those they trusted) behaved like arseholes at the one time in the band's existence when it could least be afforded

the one's who came out of it with their self-respect intact were George and Ringo

Another factor was Brian Epstien death and the lack of his presences during 'The White Album' sessions

then again you could always joke that the fab four broke up cause of the New Maccer as he 'died' in a car crash during Sgt Pepper

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 28 May 11, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lennon and mcacrtney were heading in different directions musically and were sick of each other.
==================

I think this is the main reason, they just grew apart, It happens, normally to really close friends or siblings.

Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 28 May 11, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Beatles are the prime example

1. Why going in business/ working with you friend isn't a good thing
2. Why band members are often renowned to hate each other

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 May 11, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Further to IsleOfRed's thoughts, by extension, Queen is a prime example of:

1) The whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
Your mileage may vary, but in the end it appears the band was known to argue democratically in the studio and the result was top-notch work. I think it's fair to say the arguing was a necessary part of the process that kept the standards high. Certainly their solo careers never matched the commercial success of the band.

2) Take a break but don't break up.
By the early '80s, after Hot space and its tour, Queen took its first real extended break in about 10 years. No big announcement, no public criticism of fellow band members, just them going off to do solo projects. They all wanted to try different things and were probably a little tired of the arguments and grueling tour schedules. The key was that they didn't end Queen, they just took a rest from it. Then they came back to Queen when they were ready.