Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Paul Rodgers to tour with Queen again?

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 11, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Rodgers says he “may” tour with Queen once again – even though each member of the band has been doing “different things” lately.

The legendary Bad Company and Free vocalist joined guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor to tour as Queen + Paul Rodgers from 2005 to 2009 – as well as record album The Cosmos Rocks in 2008 – and, while they’ve each been involved in many other projects since then, Paul has not ruled out working with the rock band again.

Paul says that, while the band was placed on hold “because we all wanted to do different things”, they “may” yet get back together again.

The 61-year-old said he “didn’t feel like there was a lot more we could do” after the band “toured the world twice” – releasing live albums Return of the Champions in 2005 and Live in Ukraine four years later – and recorded “the studio album”.

He added that “we didn’t want to do it forever”, although he gave the many millions of Queen fans some hope of a reunion when he said that he “enjoyed playing the role for a while, so we’ll see”.

But Paul, who picked up the outstanding contribution to British music prize at the recent 56th staging of the Ivor Novello songwriting awards at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, admitted to feeling somewhat daunted when deciding to join the band following the death of original Queen vocalist Freddie Mercury.

Paul believes that he “had to fill a role as well as be myself” when replacing Freddie, who died due to complications related to AIDS back in 1991, but confessed that stepping into the well-established band “was quite daunting”.

The singer – who enjoyed great success with his other bands – added that “at first we were just jamming and having fun”, but he suddenly “realised the enormity of what” he’d got himself into when the band’s crew “put the full rig up” and he “was stood in the middle”.

Paul also says that he “grew to love Freddie” and “always had a great deal of admiration for Queen” and the band’s original singer, but gained even greater respect for the flamboyant star the more he “studied him and his life and death, too”.

He concluded by adding that he was impressed by the way in which the “very, very brave” Freddie gracefully removed himself from the public’s attention after becoming increasingly ill – adding that the singer never talked about “poor me”.

http://www.musicrooms.net/rock-and-pop/34356-paul-rodgers-to-tour-with-queen-again.html

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cannot go into any details, but please trust me when I say this will never happen.  I cannot tell you why, or the source it came from, it just won't happen.  PR is a sore point for a certain Queen duo, please believe me on this.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hard to believe you when you can't even go into details...

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I may be alone in this, but I really hate when people pull the "I have information, but can't share it, except to say [X]" card. What are we, in Jr. High? Spill the beans or don't even mention it.

I mean no disrespect specifically to Thistleboy, it's just a peeve of mine.

cjvaldes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really hope you are completely WRONG  and we can see again Q+PR on tour !!!!

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 21:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

I may be alone in this, but I really hate when people pull the "I have information, but can't share it, except to say [X]" card. What are we, in Jr. High? Spill the beans or don't even mention it.

I mean no disrespect specifically to Thistleboy, it's just a peeve of mine.
You're not alone. I actually despise that practice myself, especially since anyone can use that tactic on the Internet. If you can't say anything, then DON'T say anything, otherwise that's how you'll aggravate people online and attract troll attention.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1783 posts

Posted: 31 May 11, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: I cannot go into any details, but please trust me when I say this will never happen.  I cannot tell you why, or the source it came from, it just won't happen.  PR is a sore point for a certain Queen duo, please believe me on this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's common knowledge that Brian & Paul had a falling out during the 2008 tour (Roger has said it publicly in one of his interviews) but over the last few interviews that Brian has done & when been asked about  the pairing, he has had positive comments about Paul.  So have they built bridges or is Brian just being professional about it?

Me!!!! I welcome it, if it gets them back on the road as Queen, but I can't see it happening!!!  maybe as a guest at the 40th anniversary gig (if it happens!!!!)

Joyful the sound
jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Brian has said maybe a show this year and Paul said he would love to do 1 off's with the band again, but a tour mmm, I loved the shows but I think its time to move on and if they are gonna tour, which I cant see it now as a band, then use Roger more on vocals with Rufus on the drums when he's singing, or use some lesser known singers.

TheKingOfRhye user not visiting Queenzone.com
TheKingOfRhye
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOOOOOO!!!! WE WANT GEORGE MICHAEL!!!

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well something is gonna happen, Chris Evans mentioned that something was happening that he couldnt mention and now Paul Rodgers pops up with he "may" tour with Queen again

You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, well put it this way - a friend, who has worked with Brian lately (i.e at the Anthems tour) was told by an extremely high-up member of Brian's team NOT to mention Paul to Brian as it is a very, very sore point.   I think the view is that certain folk were better boosted by the collaboration. My mate was even wearing a Queen+PR shirt, and was asked to kindly cover it!  I can't tell you who the mate is, where this took place or even the name of the guy who gave the info, but I can guarantee that it is the truth.  That's all!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Btw, sorry about my first post on the thread, I just wanted to communicate that it can't and won't happen, but sometimes I just get a bit paranoid when I get snippets of info like that.  I know I shouldn't have said anything at all if I couldn't give reasons, but hopefully the last snippet is enough.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2950 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 07:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: I cannot go into any details, but please trust me when I say this will never happen.  I cannot tell you why, or the source it came from, it just won't happen.  PR is a sore point for a certain Queen duo, please believe me on this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you.  I posted at the time of the Cosmos Rocks tour finishing that this was the case - a good friend of mine is personal friends with a major recording artist (whose band supported Queen before) who reported to him a major falling out between Brian and Paul.

I can also see the point made by others posters that Paul Rodgers clearly did very well out of the collaboration; Bri and Roger were seen by many as trading off the Queen name and sulling their reputation, but PR was seen to be brave and daring to try it.  He gained a lot of a following from it, and wasted no time at all in playing a lot of high profile, big venue gigs straight after, getting lots of music press coverage and sponsorship. which he wouldn't have been in a position to do without the Queen tie-in.  He did small tours and larger one offs before, but not the kind of thing he has done in the last 2-3 years.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have done, but that's just how it is - Brian should be long enough in the tooth to not let it get to him so much; at least all three of them have been civil and professional about it in public.

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good man Thistleboy 1980. :)

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
BootlegsOnYour user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I HOPE SEE ONE LAST "REUNION TOUR"
WITH: BRIAN, ROGER AND JOHN!!! ROGER ON VOCALS AND RUFUS ON DRUMS

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I never realised that Paul got a big boost from the collaboration.

Does anyone know who is wealthier...Brian or Paul?

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait, what...?

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding, but are you saying that Brian was not happy that Paul took advantage of some of the new-found audience to promote his own career? I'm well aware that Paul had a few solo tours and gigs during the period he worked with Queen, but so what? The collaboration was just that, *a collaboration.* Paul had a  lengthy career before working with Queen. It's not like he was a nobody whom Brian and Roger brought to stardom, who then ditched the very guys who carried him to the top. And it's not as if he's stealing Queen fans away.

So what exactly is the issue?

Does it come down to Brian and Roger wanted to do more touring as Q+PR, but Paul said, "No, mates, I'm touring on my own!"? Alright, maybe that could be taken as a bit undiplomatic, but it's not as if Queen had exclusive rights to Paul. And it's not as if they themselves didn't go through a bit of that in the '80s, where they all were getting a little tired of touring and recording together constantly, resulting in both breaks from Queen and solo releases.

These are three guys who currently have multi-faceted careers...

Brian: Queen, solo, WWRY, astronomy work, photography work, University Chancellor
Roger: Queen, solo, WWRY
Paul: Solo, Bad Company Re-union

In the end, I'm assessing this based on the rumours and innuendo surrounding the end of the Q+PR collaboration. If I'm 100% inaccurate, I'll be the first to admit it, but from what everyone is saying, I still don't understand what each of the individuals wanted or expected from each other and the collaboration, and how that led to the end of the collaboration.

Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2233 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was hoping some collaboration would happen this year, and I thought it was probable that they would play with Paul again in this process. I changed my mind when I saw the Days of Our Lives BBC Documentary (part 2). The mention to the QPR tours and to TCR was really fast and led me to think they consider it something from the past. These are all (somewhat) educated guesses, I know.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 11, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it will happen, if only for a few shows. I  dont believe BM  had a huge falling out with Paul,. Rodgers is his own man and obviously doesnt want to be known as just freds replacement. He has an even longer legacy going back to the early 70's with Free and later with Bad CO, The Firm, The Law and a plethora of solo stuff. id like another qpr album and tour would be great.

"Give it to me one more time!"