Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Future of Garden Lodge

forum rss feed
Author

dowens user not visiting Queenzone.com
dowens
Bohemian: 267 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last night I took some time to view the various footage on YouTube of people visiting Garden Lodge (just the outside, basically), trying to sneak glimpses inside the 'Tradesman Entrance,' and rare footage of Freddie and his friends inside of his house towards the end of his life.  It made me think...I know Mary Austin lives there now, but what will happen to Garden Lodge when she passes?  
I stumbled upon an article about how she asked Freddie to make it a museum after he passed, but he wanted her to have it.  I wonder if his estate will become like Elvis' Graceland?  It would be nice to have a place to go to give proper respects to Freddie...
(and btw, I don't want Mary to pass!)  :)

Walter White user not visiting Queenzone.com
I AM The Danger
Walter White
Deity: 2653 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting question!

Who knows?  Maybe Mary will leave it to her kid(s)?  Maybe she will have it in her will for it to become a museum, dedicated to Freddie?  Maybe Freddie and her came to an agreement that this would be the case?  Maybe the house will be sold and the proceeds go to a home for bewildered cats?

Btw, love the last line of your post haha :)

Get up, get out in the real world and kick that bastard as hard you can right in the teeth
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Freddies will he put something in (and i dont know the technical or right word for it) withregards to anybody who recieves anything in his will, if they pass away 50 years after his death then the passing recievers monies & estate will go to a handicapped childrens fund, so maybe Mary would ask for the house to be sold and all profits go to the childrens fund, unless she does pass the house on to her kids who may have families of their own by then and why not

Walter White user not visiting Queenzone.com
I AM The Danger
Walter White
Deity: 2653 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would be nice for it to become a place to properly pay your respects to Freddie, though. 

I know Montreaux has the statue, but I just can't afford that trip and don't know if I ever will be able to.

Get up, get out in the real world and kick that bastard as hard you can right in the teeth
OneTrackMind user not visiting Queenzone.com
OneTrackMind
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would be nice if it became some kind of museum eventually, but as prime real estate in the middle of London, I can't see that happening. It could be in her family for decades or it might just be sold, which would be a real shame, but that's life.

The Earth will shake, in two will break, and Death all around will be your dowry.
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that would indeed be amazing if it turned into a museum, would be quite interesting to go about the house i read so much about in mercury and me, id love to have a look around the garden and pacifically at the pond after reading teh story about the koi fish :P so yes itd be brilliant if it were to be a museum
but if it dosent become a museum then she might give it to her children or maybe to one of freddies closest friends

Zebonka12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zebonka12
Deity: 12607 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Selling it and giving the money to handicapped kids??  That's like giving a Ferrarri to Helen Keller.  This world can be so messed up.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: that would indeed be amazing if it turned into a museum, would be quite interesting to go about the house i read so much about in mercury and me, id love to have a look around the garden and pacifically at the pond after reading teh story about the koi fish :P so yes itd be brilliant if it were to be a museum
but if it dosent become a museum then she might give it to her children or maybe to one of freddies closest friends
 Specifically.

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 493 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been to the outside of Garden Lodge (part of the overall Queen pilgrimage).  The streets are very narrow, very tight, and it's heavily residential.  Given these factors I don't think the surrounding residents would like it much if it were an attraction.  The walls are extremely high so really nothing can be seen from the street except the door that says Garden Lodge and the tip of the roof.

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
alaynasusan user not visiting Queenzone.com
alaynasusan
Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it'll go up for sale and some crazy fan will buy it and turn it into the Good House of Lord Freddie. I'd worship there.

"A lot of people call this song Spread Your Legs. It started off being called Spread Your Wings, but you can call it what you'd like." -Freddie Mercury
Dubroc user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dubroc
Bohemian: 514 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please not another Graceland...

We must all see to believe...
sunny2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
sunny2
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see Mary leaving the house to her children.  Simply because she has two sons, and they would each have their own family with their own homes.  I wonder if there is a trust set up by Freddie for the upkeep of the house.  Keeping that place going has to cost a fortune.   Perhaps the will addresses the succession of the house after Mary's death.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a point in his will for anybody who recieves anything from the will, if they havepassed on 50 years after his death then the money and estate will go to a childrens charity, presumably that will be the case even after 50 years +

i have included a link to the will that somebody posted on facebook, i guess most people will be able to see it, unless you have to add the person who has posted as a friend

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=389676617948&set=a.439674557948.238098.545122948&type=1&theater

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It will probably be sold, our given to one of her kids.

It's just a house..

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4109 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In accordance with Fred's last will and testament, it will be demolished and a Taco Bell will open on the site.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Zebonka12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zebonka12
Deity: 12607 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should put a mosque there.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
splicksplack user not visiting Queenzone.com
splicksplack
Bohemian: 357 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: In accordance with Fred's last will and testament, it will be demolished and a Taco Bell will open on the site.
Ha ha. In the eighties there was a Taco Bell on Earls's Court Road (just around the corner), the only one I ever knew of in the UK.

No Freddie, No John.....No Queen
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote:

It's just a house..

=============================
to some people i know its a temple!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4109 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

splicksplack wrote: Holly2003 wrote: In accordance with Fred's last will and testament, it will be demolished and a Taco Bell will open on the site.
Ha ha. In the eighties there was a Taco Bell on Earls's Court Road (just around the corner), the only one I ever knew of in the UK.
===========================================================

Taco Bell is the best fast food chain in the Universe. Fred is probably eating Taco Bell right now, while fighting off the sexual advances of a drunken Jim Morrison.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
dowens user not visiting Queenzone.com
dowens
Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never been to Graceland actually, but it would be great if Garden Lodge could become a place to visit and learn about Freddie Mercury and Queen.  A museum would be great!!!