Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May Singing '39 Live?

forum rss feed
Author

alaynasusan user not visiting Queenzone.com
alaynasusan
Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jun 11, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the music request forum, because I'm not sure if it exists. Did Brian ever sing '39 during a Queen show?

"A lot of people call this song Spread Your Legs. It started off being called Spread Your Wings, but you can call it what you'd like." -Freddie Mercury
Doga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Doga
Bohemian: 938 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 00:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not with Freddie, but in the Paul Rodgers era he did every night. Officially released in the ''Return Of The Champions'' and ''Live in Ukraine'' CDs and DVDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXL1ExoBSN4

39 wasn't planed to play, but in the second gig with Paul, in Brixton Academy, Brian randomly plays the first part of the song, and people began to sing the song, since this, they play the song in all their gigs

alaynasusan

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm...did Brian ever sing anything with Queen, like a complete song solo? Note: any questions I ask exclude Queen + Paul Rodgers.

"A lot of people call this song Spread Your Legs. It started off being called Spread Your Wings, but you can call it what you'd like." -Freddie Mercury
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

alaynasusan wrote: Hmm...did Brian ever sing anything with Queen, like a complete song solo? Note: any questions I ask exclude Queen + Paul Rodgers.
====

If you do that long enough it'll just erase the Paul Rodgers tour from existance. Right?

And no Brian, never sang a full song live in the Freddie-era.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not even Sleeping On The Sidewalk, which I think is a typical Brian song. The song, I believe, was only played on the first two gigs of the NOTW tour. Freddie sang it. At least, that's what I heard...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

c-lebrity94 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At one gig in 1977 Brian sang 39. But there aren't any recording((

helo dear friends)))
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to someone who attended the gig in St. Louis on February 23rd 1977, Brian sang the lead on '39 like on the studio version.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 11, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drugs and alcohol have influenced a lot of concert stories from the 70s... I'll leave it at that :-)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote: Not even Sleeping On The Sidewalk, which I think is a typical Brian song. The song, I believe, was only played on the first two gigs of the NOTW tour. Freddie sang it. At least, that's what I heard...

But he did sing 'Sleeping on the sidewalk' at Necastle city hall (at least) on his '98 solo tour. No ''39' though.

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is one of those "easy" questions regarding Queen live.
Can you imagine Brian, Roger and John coming to the front of the stage to sing '39 and Freddie waiting backstage? Or, almost equally ridiculous, him singing harmonies to Brian and Roger while Brian sings lead?

I believe Brian once said that it would be a waste to not having Freddie sing every song live.
I'm in love with my car is the exception to the rule because it's too much of a Roger song and having him sing and play along is freakin' awesome.

alaynasusan

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YannickJoker wrote: alaynasusan wrote: Hmm...did Brian ever sing anything with Queen, like a complete song solo? Note: any questions I ask exclude Queen + Paul Rodgers.
====

If you do that long enough it'll just erase the Paul Rodgers tour from existance. Right?

That's the dream.

alaynasusan

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote: I think this is one of those "easy" questions regarding Queen live.
Can you imagine Brian, Roger and John coming to the front of the stage to sing '39 and Freddie waiting backstage? Or, almost equally ridiculous, him singing harmonies to Brian and Roger while Brian sings lead?

I believe Brian once said that it would be a waste to not having Freddie sing every song live.
I'm in love with my car is the exception to the rule because it's too much of a Roger song and having him sing and play along is freakin' awesome.
Well during I'm In Love With My Car Freddie would just play piano and add the occasional, "Oh" and "Yeah." If Roger did it, I thought Brian may have also.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Drugs and alcohol have influenced a lot of concert stories from the 70s... I'll leave it at that :-)
===============

I saw Queen back in Detroit 1978--I was negative 12 years old. Would you like to hear the fan story? :)

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote: I think this is one of those "easy" questions regarding Queen live.

====

Freddie waited backstage during the Brighton Rock improvisations of the Jazz/Live Killers tour (at least: that's what I think and would be logical!). Brian took a break during My Melancholy Blues. Roger and John during Love of My Life. The list goes on.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."