Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The "Official" Top Ten Queen Gigs List

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since I've got nothing better to do, I was thinking that all of us Queenzone members could make an "official" list of Queen's top ten concerts. I've seen many personal lists, people's favorites, etc. I think it would be great that all of us could build a list using all of our knowledge , and we can show this list to other people, and potentially attract new fans, or get someone to start their recording collection!

Here's a criteria for the concerts:

-Band performance (instruments)
-Crowd performance/atmosphere
-Improvs/creativity
-Freddie's vocal shape
-Concert consistency (does the crowd stay wild, does the band stay strong, etc)

For the criteria, we can make adjustments, but for now, I'm going to weigh them equally.

Quality should not be a factor--I've seen MANY great gigs in bad quality. The only time quality should come to play, is if there's a tie-breaker thing going on. The gig must also be either complete or complete enough to make a judgement (so gigs that are missing encores, or half the songs will be thrown out). Official concerts can be included as well!

This is a list I just made on the fly--this is likely NOT going to be the final list, but it will be interesting to see other opinions, and lists.

ORIGINAL LIST:

1. Newcastle (12/4/1979)
2. Leiden (6/12/1986)
3. Rock In Rio (1/12/1985)
4. Boston (1/30/1976)
5. New York (12/2/1977)
6. Leeds (5/29/1982)
7. Bristol (5/23/1977)
8. Stockholm (4/12/1978)
9. Tokyo (5/9/1985) 
10. London (12/8/1980)

CURRENT LIST:

1. Newcastle (12/4/1979)
2. Leiden (6/12/1986)
3. Boston (1/30/1976) 
4. Buenos Aires (3/8/1981)
5. Leeds (5/29/1982)
6. London (12/8/1980)
7. Knebworth Park (8/9/1986)
8. Tokyo (5/9/1985)
9. New York (12/2/1977)
10. Tokyo (5/1/1975)


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18616 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's a good list.  But we kind of our biased by the good-sounding recordings.

If we had 20 high quality recordings from the US ANATO tour, I don't think we'd be even considering many of the other tours .... ANATO was Queen's creative and live peak, as far as I'm concerned.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Matheusms user not visiting Queenzone.com
Matheusms
Rocker: 24 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, probably it'll look better if you consider this as the "top ten bootlegs".

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 888 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are we talking about recordings or the actual experience? I was at Leiden in 1986 and the bootleg hardly reflects the ambience and atmosphere on the night.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Since I've got nothing better to do, I was thinking that all of us Queenzone members could make an "official" list of Queen's top ten concerts. I've seen many personal lists, people's favorites, etc. I think it would be great that all of us could build a list using all of our knowledge , and we can show this list to other people, and potentially attract new fans, or get someone to start their recording collection!

Here's a criteria for the concerts:

-Band performance (instruments)
-Crowd performance/atmosphere
-Improvs/creativity
-Freddie's vocal shape
-Concert consistency (does the crowd stay wild, does the band stay strong, etc)

For the criteria, we can make adjustments, but for now, I'm going to weigh them equally.

Quality should not be a factor--I've seen MANY great gigs in bad quality. The only time quality should come to play, is if there's a tie-breaker thing going on. The gig must also be either complete or complete enough to make a judgement (so gigs that are missing encores, or half the songs will be thrown out). Official concerts can be included as well!

This is a list I just made on the fly--this is likely NOT going to be the final list, but it will be interesting to see other opinions, and lists.

1. Newcastle (12/4/1979)
2. Leiden (6/12/1986)
3. Rock In Rio (1/12/1985)
4. Boston (1/30/1976)
5. New York (12/2/1977)
6. Leeds (5/29/1982)
7. Bristol (5/23/1977)
8. Stockholm (4/12/1978)
9. Tokyo (5/9/1985) 
10. London (12/8/1980)

I don't see how Bristol 1977 made the cut or would even be in a top 20 list. To me, that gig is average. Nothing special. Yes Freddie is in good voice for the tour but there were a lot of gigs were he was in good voice.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Gregsynth wrote: Since I've got nothing better to do, I was thinking that all of us Queenzone members could make an "official" list of Queen's top ten concerts. I've seen many personal lists, people's favorites, etc. I think it would be great that all of us could build a list using all of our knowledge , and we can show this list to other people, and potentially attract new fans, or get someone to start their recording collection!

Here's a criteria for the concerts:

-Band performance (instruments)
-Crowd performance/atmosphere
-Improvs/creativity
-Freddie's vocal shape
-Concert consistency (does the crowd stay wild, does the band stay strong, etc)

For the criteria, we can make adjustments, but for now, I'm going to weigh them equally.

Quality should not be a factor--I've seen MANY great gigs in bad quality. The only time quality should come to play, is if there's a tie-breaker thing going on. The gig must also be either complete or complete enough to make a judgement (so gigs that are missing encores, or half the songs will be thrown out). Official concerts can be included as well!

This is a list I just made on the fly--this is likely NOT going to be the final list, but it will be interesting to see other opinions, and lists.

1. Newcastle (12/4/1979)
2. Leiden (6/12/1986)
3. Rock In Rio (1/12/1985)
4. Boston (1/30/1976)
5. New York (12/2/1977)
6. Leeds (5/29/1982)
7. Bristol (5/23/1977)
8. Stockholm (4/12/1978)
9. Tokyo (5/9/1985) 
10. London (12/8/1980)

I don't see how Bristol 1977 made the cut or would even be in a top 20 list. To me, that gig is average. Nothing special. Yes Freddie is in good voice for the tour but there were a lot of gigs were he was in good voice.

And you would really put 5/9 or 5/8? lol Nearly everything is better about 5/8. Maybe that's part of what SirGH meant when he said we are biased by good quality recordings. And I think Newcastle 12/3 should be in the top ten too.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you know my list :)

The only thing that has changed is that I may know put 5/8/85 and 12/2/79 somewhere in there....and take 5/1/75 out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a4r1HAhBuw


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To clarify, these are concerts that are available as downloads. I judged them by listening to them. To me Quality doesn't matter--look at the Leiden gig I have up on the list--it's very distant, but it's still listenable to get a good listen on the concert!

Bob, I kinda agree and disagree on the Opera subject--while Queen's musical peak were in that era--Freddie wasn't really developed as a singer and frontman yet (that would blossom by the late 70s/early 80s). Going off the available recordings, what Opera concerts would you put high on a list?


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: To clarify, these are concerts that are available as downloads. I judged them by listening to them. To me Quality doesn't matter--look at the Leiden gig I have up on the list--it's very distant, but it's still listenable to get a good listen on the concert!

Bob, I kinda agree and disagree on the Opera subject--while Queen's musical peak were in that era--Freddie wasn't really developed as a singer and frontman yet (that would blossom by the late 70s/early 80s). Going off the available recordings, what Opera concerts would you put high on a list?
Plus there live vocal harmonies were somewhat off then and to me the vocal part of the show didn't have "stability"...all though they never perfected their live background and harmony vocals, it did get a little better within a few years.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

This is a list I just made on the fly--this is likely NOT going to be the final list, but it will be interesting to see other opinions, and lists.

Unless we have EVERY single recording of every Queen concert, sadly I don't think we can ever make an "official" list.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: jamster1111 wrote:

"I don't see how Bristol 1977 made the cut or would even be in a top 20 list. To me, that gig is average. Nothing special. Yes Freddie is in good voice for the tour but there were a lot of gigs were he was in good voice."

"And you would really put 5/9 or 5/8? lol Nearly everything is better about 5/8. Maybe that's part of what SirGH meant when he said we are biased by good quality recordings. And I think Newcastle 12/3 should be in the top ten too."
=========================

Bristol is probably the best gig on the whole Races Tour--you have an awesome crowd, every band member sounds strong (Roger's drumming is something to be noted), Freddie has fun with the crowd, is in good voice, and the gig just sounds overall fantastic. Maybe top 10 is a bit high (maybe in the lower half of the top 20). If any gig is average, it's Earls Court.

5/9 is overall better: The band are MUCH more creative in their improv sections (especially Freddie). Freddie is overall more creative (has nothing to do with his vocal shape or what notes he's hitting, mind you), and uses more of his voice to deliver the songs. Both crowds are awesome, and the atmosphere is more intimate during the slower songs (you can hear crowd members crying on the 5/9 recording). I'd say 5/9 is better overall.

I think the first Newcastle should be ranked pretty high (at least top 20).


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

"Unless we have EVERY single recording of every Queen concert, sadly I don't think we can ever make an "official" list."
===================

Well I doubt we'll be able to hear every single concert, so I see no problem in starting now--if something catches our ears, we'll adjust the list!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: 

"Plus there live vocal harmonies were somewhat off then and to me the vocal part of the show didn't have "stability"...all though they never perfected their live background and harmony vocals, it did get a little better within a few years."
========================

I heard some gigs where the harmonies sound pretty much spot on (Boston 1976, for example), but yeah--that part of the show wouldn't start to stabilize until the later half of the 1970s.

Keep in mind that Queen's 70s stuff was heavily overdubbed/multi-tracked in the studio--I don't expect picture-perfect replications done live with the harmonies!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

5/9 is overall better: The band are MUCH more creative in their improv sections (especially Freddie). Freddie is overall more creative (has nothing to do with his vocal shape or what notes he's hitting, mind you), and uses more of his voice to deliver the songs. Both crowds are awesome, and the atmosphere is more intimate during the slower songs (you can hear crowd members crying on the 5/9 recording). I'd say 5/9 is better overall.

Jamster1111 wrote:

Nearly every song is sung and performed better at 5/8 or tied. The only one better at 5/9 is WATC and I never denied that...but that song in itself is not far better than 5/8, just slightly better. I say about 40% of the songs are tied, 55% are better at 5/8, and 5% are better at 5/9. I've listened to both vocal improvs many times and they are both very good but that kind of stuff is personal preference more than anything. The crowd is much more enthusiastic at 5/8 and the band are enthusiastic about both. And I doubt you can hear someone crying in the audience...that's just bullshit...no one cries that loud for a taper to pix it up which is recording a loud band in a hall filled with thousands of fans making noise.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

Keep in mind that Queen's 70s stuff was heavily overdubbed/multi-tracked in the studio--I don't expect picture-perfect replications done live with the harmonies!
I'm not saying it had to be perfect but at least decent. Most gigs from 75-79, when singing backup vocals, the band are very out of synch (one pulls away from the mic while the other is still singing). I never got why they couldn't just focus more on it.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

I think the first Newcastle should be ranked pretty high (at least top 20).

To be quite frank, I don't believe Newcastle  12/3 and Glasgow 12/1 fall very far under Newcastle 12/4. After all, a large chunk of songs were better at 12/3 than 12/4.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

"Nearly every song is sung and performed better at 5/8 or tied. The only one better at 5/9 is WATC and I never denied that...but that song in itself is not far better than 5/8, just slightly better. I say about 40% of the songs are tied, 55% are better at 5/8, and 5% are better at 5/9. I've listened to both vocal improvs many times and they are both very good but that kind of stuff is personal preference more than anything. The crowd is much more enthusiastic at 5/8 and the band are enthusiastic about both. And I doubt you can hear someone crying in the audience...that's just bullshit...no one cries that loud for a taper to pix it up which is recording a loud band in a hall filled with thousands of fans making noise."
==========================

I don't care if Freddie sang "slightly" better at one concert--that's only a small part of the criteria. The BAND (overall) is better and more creative at 5/9. The BAND improvs (along with Freddie's) are more creative and interesting (Freddie does MORE with his voice = more creative, the band does more with the improvs = more creative). The crowd is more UP-FRONT at 5/8's mix (but listening on a relative  basis--both crowds are awesome).

Take a listen to the section after Now I'm Here (just before the slower songs), you can HEAR crying. Bob mentions it on his site as well. Just listen to it.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

"I'm not saying it had to be perfect but at least decent. Most gigs from 75-79, when singing backup vocals, the band are very out of synch (one pulls away from the mic while the other is still singing). I never got why they couldn't just focus more on it.".
=================

I was talking strictly pitch in my last post (you said the harmonies were "off" sometimes--which I agree with--I take the words "off" and "harmony" as pitch-related). There's plenty of "decent" harmonies throughout the 70s, not too worried overall.

The reason they didn't focus on the harmonies as much--was because they wanted to focus more on the music (the instruments). As long as the harmonies were decent enough, I'm fine.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

To be quite frank, I don't believe Newcastle  12/3 and Glasgow 12/1 fall very far under Newcastle 12/4. After all, a large chunk of songs were better at 12/3 than 12/4.
=======================

Glasgow isn't good enough to be that high, but I agree that the first Newcastle should at least crack high (possibly 9 or 10--I have to get opinions on that). It's about a 50/50 split on songs for me (both concerts are both ace), but the crowd is a bit better on the later Newcastle (though the first night is good in its own right).


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

The reason they didn't focus on the harmonies as much--was because they wanted to focus more on the music (the instruments). As long as the harmonies were decent enough, I'm fine.
If they focused on the instruments, then why did Brian May fuck up at about 60% of the concerts? And i don't mean tiny blenders that nobody would notice but wrong notes or guitars. We hear it left and right.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t