Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > A version of Somebody to Love...i need your opinions on it.

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 11, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-yHq8_FaC4

Here's a version of the song which Bob (aka SirGH) describes as "the best version on this side of the Atlantic". Personally, I don't believe it's the best version on that side of the Atlantic (meaning the eastern coast of the US) but I think it's actually a pretty great version with a great atmosphere even if Freddie cracks a few notes here and there...it's the effort that counts and the random adlibs.

Some people think this is a bad version but I highly disagree with these people and i think it is one of the best on the eastern coast of the US but not the absolute best. But I agree with SirGH in terms of that it is a nice version. It's highly emotional and has a great vibe to it. What are your thoughts?

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not a great version overall: Freddie shouts and cracks random notes, the song sounds WAY too rushed, very uncreative phrasing from Freddie. The only good part is the intro and that vocal solo before the outro (and I've heard better).

Philly 1977, New York 1977, and New York 1978 (2nd night), are better versions overall (more creativity from the band members, and the tempo is more reasonable).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 03:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I love the Boston 1977 version, because it has some great harmonies. Again, John can be heard and he is singing in tune!

So far, I can hear John on every version of that song during the Races tour. Maybe the band decided to lower his mic in volume after hearing the Earls Court gig? Then again, he can be heard at the Houston 1977 gig as well.

Thoughts?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote: Personally, I love the Boston 1977 version, because it has some great harmonies. Again, John can be heard and he is singing in tune!

So far, I can hear John on every version of that song during the Races tour. Maybe the band decided to lower his mic in volume after hearing the Earls Court gig? Then again, he can be heard at the Houston 1977 gig as well.

Thoughts?
======================

Sounds reasonable enough! On some Races versions, I do hear John's voice cutting through.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This version blows the 1982 one out of the water. There is more creative phrasing Freddie's intro (despite it being shorter), Freddie sings this version better (no joke), and Brian doesn't make up notes throughout the song. Plus the crowd's better.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The examples posted by Jamster and Greg both have their moments, but let's not forget that it's not about "technical" ability, it's about what's more pleasurable to the ear, and I reckon that the NY '82 performance is nicer.  Andm imho, nothing touches the MK bowl performance....except this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pMkEUh_5Y

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: The examples posted by Jamster and Greg both have their moments, but let's not forget that it's not about "technical" ability, it's about what's more pleasurable to the ear, and I reckon that the NY '82 performance is nicer.  Andm imho, nothing touches the MK bowl performance....except this:

=================

Gary Mullen :) Love that guy.

I still think the 1978 one is better on the ears--the song's tempo is slower, and it "flows" better. Plus Brian messes up the guitar parts very badly on the 1982 version. I listen to the Jazz versions more than the later 1982 versions!

You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

I listen to the Jazz versions more than the later 1982 versions! =============================================================================================

I know :)  You're a 70s freak lol.  I like that '78 version too, but most of my early bootlegs were 80s shows so I guess I just have a soft spot for them!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Gregsynth wrote:

I listen to the Jazz versions more than the later 1982 versions! =============================================================================================

I know :)  You're a 70s freak lol.  I like that '78 version too, but most of my early bootlegs were 80s shows so I guess I just have a soft spot for them!
=================================

My first unofficial Queen concert I got was the Oakland 1980 show--I have a soft spot for that! I then got Hammersmith 1979, then Vienna 1982 (second night)!

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: The examples posted by Jamster and Greg both have their moments, but let's not forget that it's not about "technical" ability, it's about what's more pleasurable to the ear, and I reckon that the NY '82 performance is nicer.  Andm imho, nothing touches the MK bowl performance....except this:

If you like the Bowl version you should check out the Edinburgh and Leeds and 1982 versions. They sound very similar to MK but are better. 

And by posting that you're saying that Gary Mullen's performance is better than all Queen performances except for MK? Gary Mullen isn't even that great. He couldn't even play piano on the song.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For reference, here's all the "east coast/eastern US" versions:

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I said it was the best version of STL on this side of the Atlantic because that's what I believe, based on listening to dozens upon dozens of versions.

Freddie was at the peak of his creativity on stage in 1982, and playing the Garden was the best gig in the country.  Combine those two elements and you've got yourself a passionate performance of Freddie's favourite song.

I don't care who played what notes or who sang what notes - and I'm a professional musician myself !  I'm really tired of seeing this forum become a place where a performance is judged this way and no other way.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That NY 28/07/1982 show is one of my absolute favourites.

That STL is simply mindblowing. Listen to the audience during that version and how Freddie makes them singalong... Those moments are totally unique and make me wish I'd been there!

on my way up
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: The examples posted by Jamster and Greg both have their moments, but let's not forget that it's not about "technical" ability, it's about what's more pleasurable to the ear, and I reckon that the NY '82 performance is nicer.  Andm imho, nothing touches the MK bowl performance....except this:

If you like the Bowl version you should check out the Edinburgh and Leeds and 1982 versions. They sound very similar to MK but are better. 

And by posting that you're saying that Gary Mullen's performance is better than all Queen performances except for MK? Gary Mullen isn't even that great. He couldn't even play piano on the song.
=============================================================================================

Hey, I was kidding at first - but now that you bring it up, this Mullen effort IS better than a shitload of Freddie versions.  Not all, but a lot.  Have heard the Edinburgh and Leeds versions, btw, they're great :)  But I still prefer MK!!!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: I said it was the best version of STL on this side of the Atlantic because that's what I believe, based on listening to dozens upon dozens of versions.

Freddie was at the peak of his creativity on stage in 1982, and playing the Garden was the best gig in the country.  Combine those two elements and you've got yourself a passionate performance of Freddie's favourite song.

I don't care who played what notes or who sang what notes - and I'm a professional musician myself !  I'm really tired of seeing this forum become a place where a performance is judged this way and no other way.
==================

Then how do you judge a performance? Technical performance and the emotional/passion performance are both important.

I honestly do not see that 1982 version good--that 1978 Jazz version (11/17/1978), is better overall (technically, and emotionally).

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

Then how do you judge a performance? Technical performance and the emotional/passion performance are both important.

===================

Not when you're at the show it isn't.  Only the latter matters.

If you're busy analyzing every note being played at a concert, then you're completely missing the point.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Gregsynth wrote:

===================

Not when you're at the show it isn't.  Only the latter matters.

If you're busy analyzing every note being played at a concert, then you're completely missing the point.
=======================

That's a moot point--both of us were not at the MSG 1982 show. We have audience recordings of the show--not the same thing as actually being there. The only "true" way to rate a performance, is to analyze it. I wasn't caring about the notes or anything at the Rush concert I attended. Only when I got the recording, did I study it.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This version right here, is a truly passionate and creative version. Tons of very soulful phrasing, and some of the best phrasing on the song. MSG may be a legendary venue--but that version of the song, just isn't that good overall (it's too fucking FAST and RUSHED--not passionate at all).

formulaone+queenmad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing is though, even if people analyse every moment of a gig, they have a great point to as then people can come to really strong conclusions about stuff and I have to agree with Greg that MSG 82's version isn't the best but it is emotional but I go with 11/17/1978 because he sounds sweeter (even though it's the Jazz tour!) I mean we're not gonna listen to gigs like Japan 1979 and say "Oh my god! Freddie sounded so emotional on 4/23/1979!" If anyone does, I'll be amazed!

tsskiller user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also take into account that at a concert, you will notice a bad guitar solo or barked/cracked  notes. I would rather hear Freddie not going for all the the notes than one where he has to shout and bark them out. On the American leg of the Jazz tour, Freddie was becoming more creative with note choices in STL to make up for the lack of range. I personally don't like the Jazz tour, but there are tons of performances that are more passionate and less likely to give you ear cancer like MSG '82's version will. Hitting notes flat != best version.

And yes, I've been to MSG, it's a great venue with a passionate atmosphere.