Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Too Much Love Will Kill You, Brian May Version

forum rss feed
Author

dowens user not visiting Queenzone.com
dowens
Bohemian: 267 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, so I've always wondered this.  At the beginning of May's TMLWKY on his "Back to the Light" album, the opening vocal harmonies sound like Freddie.  Is it Freddie and Brian's harmonies?  I love them and always thought it sounded a lot like Freddie.  Since Freddie laid vocals down for this track, could it be?

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno...but I've always prefered this version of the song than the one with Freddie on lead vocals...it just seems more genuine and sincere.

YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 11, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian can sometimes sound like Freddie, especially during harmonies. It's just Brian, no Freddie there at all.

TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought higher part of the two part "Make you plead and scream and crawl" harmony sounded like Freddie. (particularly the 'plead')

I know better now of course, but still I find it compelling every time I hear it.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think much of this song overall, but in what it tries to be Brian does do a better job.  It did seem that his personal identification with it communicated something more searing and emotive.  It  would be interesting to know what Freddie thought of the song, if he felt he could get behind it emotionally etc.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to hear a Freddie-ish shade in the "Is dead ahead of you" line in Driven by You.

AlbaNo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 283 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's version is better . It might seem slightly less heartfelt but the power , control and professionalism of the vocal make it more easy to appreciate than Brian's. On sound similarities both Brian's solo efforts contain a few Queenish effects , the intro to TMWKY would have been great on a Queen album.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4678 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 11, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: I don't think much of this song overall, but in what it tries to be Brian does do a better job.  It did seem that his personal identification with it communicated something more searing and emotive.  It  would be interesting to know what Freddie thought of the song, if he felt he could get behind it emotionally etc.
Spot on. Can't stand this song myself -- too cheesy -- but Brian's version is less cheesy than Fred's.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say Brian's verson is much better, especially the bise guitar version. i've got it and its beautfiful

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's Brian. But of course it has the Queen sound. Since Brian's harmonies really make the Queen sound.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, they don't. They're part of it, an integral part of it, but they're not the Queen sound. There can be Queen sound with or without Brian, just as there can be with or without Roger and with or without Freddie.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1540 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly don't think I've listened to this song. Still reeling from the Tribute Concert performance of it that just went on and on and on and on.

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just throwing in here... wanted to say I really like Brian's version but Freddie's version just KILLS me.  Incredible.  I far prefer him on the lead vocals.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote: I dunno...but I've always prefered this version of the song than the one with Freddie on lead vocals...it just seems more genuine and sincere.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

don't understand how Brian's version is more genuine and sincere...he didn't write the lyrics.....do they're not his feelings...they're either the lyricist's feelings, or the lyricist's ideas of what Brian's feeling might be...but definitely not brian's if he didn't write them

go deo na hÉireann
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was just listening to Brian's version earlier and, although I do like it, it's the Queen one every time for me as Freddie's vocals are just astounding on it.  It also gave Brian the chance to polish up on the guitars, which again makes the Queen one that touch better.

And have to agree with Yannick, Brian does have the knack of sounding like Freddie on harmonies!  If anyone has bothered with the Queen + PR show from Chile (2008), during Las Palabras, Brian gives a little "Yeah!", and had I not seen the visuals I would have sworn Freddie was there!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
GratefulFan

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:  Can't stand this song myself -- too cheesy -- but Brian's version is less cheesy than Fred's.
=======================

That's it precisely.  It's the lesser of two cheevils.  Clearly there is a lot of love and respect for the song in many quarters, and it even won that songwriting award.  I'm glad it makes a lot of people happy, if that's the right word,  but it does nothing for me.

GratefulFan

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

don't understand how Brian's version is more genuine and sincere...he didn't write the lyrics.....do they're not his feelings...they're either the lyricist's feelings, or the lyricist's ideas of what Brian's feeling might be...but definitely not brian's if he didn't write them
==================================

I don't know what his precise contribution was, but he's spoken more than once about his connection with the song and how meaningful it was to him to win an award for that particular song.  And you certainly don't have to write every word of a song (or any words in a song) to connect to it emotionally, which is something music fans really shouldn't need to be reminded of?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't get the sincerity thing...how Brian's somehow has more sincerity than Freddie's?

these were someone else's lyrics.....they may have applied to Brian in many ways....but if you read them closely there are plenty of potential double meanings coupled with the timing of the demo recording.... there are more ways to interpret the "mess of a situation" the singer is in:  lots of stuff can allude to death in these lyrics...even the title "Too Much Love Will Kill You" could be a barbed reference to shagging around too much and the consequences...in Freddie's case HIV. maybe this gave Freddie's more relevant sincerity:

I'm just the pieces of the man I used to be
Too many bitter tears are raining down on me
I'm far away from home
And I've been facing this alone
For much too long

In my tangled state of mind
I've been looking back to find
Where I went wrong

I'm just the shadow of the man I used to be
And it seems like there's no way out of this for me
I used to bring you sunshine
Now all I ever do is bring you down
How would it be if you were standing in my shoes
Can't you see that it's impossible to choose
No there's no making sense of it
Every way I go I'm bound to lose
Too much love will kill you
Just as sure as none at all
It'll drain the power that's in you
Make you plead and scream and crawl
And the pain will make you crazy
You're the victim of your crime
Too much love will kill you
Every time

go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 11, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote:

If anyone has bothered with the Queen + PR show from Chile (2008), during Las Palabras, Brian gives a little "Yeah!", and had I not seen the visuals I would have sworn Freddie was there!

========================

Yeah, there are always those little moments when Brian and Roger sound a bit like Freddie.  Or to some ears, a lot !

The Chile video is one of my favourite Queen-related things.  Specifically that very song, Las Palabras.  As far as I'm concerned, if that performance doesn't move you in some way, then you are not a Queen fan.

Yes, Freddie's not there, but two members of Queen get more than half the job done here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glwW183-ng

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 11, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find it's a fine line with Brian. He can sound great, but when he's trying too hard, it frankly sounds ridiculous. He doesn't have Freddie's voice (power, technique, gift for phrasing etc...), but in the last 15+ years he's, on the odd occasion, fooled himself into thinking he has.

His solo singing style within Queen was, for the most part, quite sedate. It contrasted beautifully with Freddie and Roger's natural ability to sing in a more aggressive fashion. And it was a joy to listen to.

A man's got to know his limitations.