Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Making of 'Made In Heaven'

forum rss feed
Author

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jun 11, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So does anyone know for sure if what Wikipedia has listed on 'Made In Heaven' is accurate?

I'm really curious as to how some of these songs came about, and was just wondering if what is listed on that site is the real behind-the-scenes info (it's Wikipedia, so you never know...)

Let Me Live... originally recorded (obviously 'partially') in 1983/84 with Rod Stewart??  Really?

And Made In Heaven sold TWENTY MILLION copies??  So it's the highest selling Queen (non-Greatest Hits) album then?

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 11, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it's on Wikipedia it must be true.

MiH was a huge hit, and deservedly so. Definitely in the top 5 of their best albums IMO.

mickeybrad173 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 11, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere that it was indeed going to be a duet with Queen and Rod Stewart, but Queen dropped that idea.

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 11, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let Me Live was a duet with Rod Stewart, it was originally called 'Another Little Piece Of My Heart' and only had the Freddie Lyric, Roger's and Brian's vocals wern't written until the recording for the MIH album.

As for the 20 million copies, I can't imagine that being true, but again, it could be possible.

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bet Rog took over Rod's vocals....dunno, just a guess. ;)

Killed by drones.
IanR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I would like to know is this — were 'Born to Love You' and 'Made Heaven' purposely omitted from The Freddie Mercury Album / Great Pretender Album, because there were plans afoot even at that early stage to re-record those tracks under the Queen banner?

Perhaps Freddie himself suggested that those two songs could be reworked as a part of a posthumous project. Who knows?

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is Queen's best-selling studio album, yes. I don't know what the article on Wikipedia says, but as far as sales go it's accurate. It kinda makes the people saying that MIH is not a true Queen album seem retarded.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wikipedia (or PRICKIPEDIA as I call those f*ckheads) is talking BULLSH*T! Those f*ckheads are packed with inaccuracies and removed alot of sources and articles I submitted (all of which my sources were TRUE for the record). Once I told the mods (who removed my painstaking research and articles claiming they were not reliable) there to f*ck off and die, I got banned for life (but I don't give a f*ck as I know the truth much to their high and mighty knowing dismay).

Made in Heaven was not Queen's best selling studio album, here in the US anyway (that honor belongs to The Game and News Of the World (both at 4 million copies Stateside)). Made in Heaven barely went Gold in the States (500,000 copies sold in the US) and peaked at #56 (which I remember as the album came out the same day as the final studio album from Alice in Chains with original singer Layne Staley and the "long-awaited" Cypress Hill album (which my other best friend Chuck bought while I was buying Queen's Made in Heaven) came out that day (as did the expanded version of Who's Next by The Who (which I also bought the week it came out)). Made in Heaven had little to no airplay on regular rock radio and VH1 and MTV did sh*t to promote it (here in the States anyhow)!

I, on the other hand, did promote Made in Heaven on my college radio shows (which were on the cable TV radio station (where I was allowed to play over 20 minute tunes, rare live concerts, making of album documentaries with interviews (which I would credit the interviewers like Redbeard, Bob Coburn, Jim Ladd and so on for interviewing the bands) and entire albums (I did play all of Made in Heaven on one 3 hour show I had) and the FM station my college in Brockton, Massachusetts also had) as I played "Heaven For Everyone", the title cut, "I Was Born to Love You" and "Mother Love" constantly on my radio shows (much to my Alanis Morissette, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Wu Tang Clan and Cypress Hill loving colleagues' dismay as I played metal and classic rock on my shows (at a time neither classic rock nor metal was cool to like)).

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

malicedoom wrote: So does anyone know for sure if what Wikipedia has listed on 'Made In Heaven' is accurate?

I'm really curious as to how some of these songs came about, and was just wondering if what is listed on that site is the real behind-the-scenes info (it's Wikipedia, so you never know...)

Let Me Live... originally recorded (obviously 'partially') in 1983/84 with Rod Stewart??  Really?

And Made In Heaven sold TWENTY MILLION copies??  So it's the highest selling Queen (non-Greatest Hits) album then?

"It's a Beautiful Day" was started in 1980 but completed in 1994/95 (the original idea is being reissued on The Game reissue).

"Let Me Live" started in 1983 but not finished until 1995 when Roger and Brian added lyrics and verses.

The title cut and "I Was Born to Love You" were originally on Mr Bad Guy but Queen rightfully, in my view, re-recorded those tunes and turned the former into a power ballad and the latter into a kickass hard rocker.

"Heaven For Everyone" was started during The Cross recording sessions for Shove It. Freddie's vocals were then used for Queen's re-recording in 1995.

"Too Much Love Will Kill You" we do know was started for The Miracle sessions but left off of the album and finished on Made in Heaven.

"My Life Has Been Saved" (a John Deacon penned tune) was originally recorded for The Miracle album and issued as flipside to "Scandal".

We know "Mother Love" was the last vocal Freddie ever recorded before his death and last tune he co-wrote with Brian. "A Winter's Tale" (Freddie's last proper song he wrote before he passed away) and "You Don't Fool Me" were recorded after Innuendo was finished.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 11, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Too Much Love Will Kill You" we do know was started for The Miracle  sessions but left off of the album and finished on Made in Heaven.

Not it wasn't. The version intended for The Miracle is the same as the one on MIH. They didn't re-do it as it was perfect the way it was in '89.

> "A Winter's Tale" (Freddie's last proper song he wrote before he passed away) and "You  Don't Fool Me" were recorded after Innuendo was finished.

According to Jim's book, AWT was recorded in 1990 which, unless he meant December, was *during* Innuendo sessions, not *after*. Although, of course, it's also possible that Fred did the basic framework first and then some corrections later on.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And You Don't Fool Me wasn't really a song...it was merely scraps of Freddie vocals put together by David Richards and brought to the rest of the band long after Freddie had passed.

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:

Made in Heaven was not Queen's best selling studio album, here in the US anyway (that honor belongs to The Game and News Of the World (both at 4 million copies Stateside)). Made in Heaven barely went Gold in the States (500,000 copies sold in the US) and peaked at #56 
----

Ah, yes... I forgot about that unwritten rule, which states that "if it didn't happen in the US it didn't happen at all". 

Give me a break! We're talking about worldwide sales here.

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bambams-paradise wrote: And You Don't Fool Me wasn't really a song...it was merely scraps of Freddie vocals put together by David Richards and brought to the rest of the band long after Freddie had passed.
====

But was it a Fred thing, a Fred/Rog thing or a Fred/John thing?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3665 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FFS.. why is this whole thing in the 'serious discussion' thread. I remember the same talk from 10-15 years ago....

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FFS, then simply don't read the thread. Or are you physically incapable of doing so?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3665 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 11, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its ball park stuff, everyone knows this already.... I wouldnt go to a messageboard of a band I just got into and ask the obvious shit..., specially on the board marked 'serious' -' so Led Zepp fans... what do you tink of Stairway'???

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 11, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought The Game and A Night at the Opera were the most-selling albums, and that was the idea for The Works - to have something in between these two, so it would sell more than Hot Space (get back old fans). Also, those two albums has been released on DVD's. But of course, The Works came out 11 years before Made in Heaven...

An oberservation is that a lot of people have Made in Heaven in their collections(, and maybe nothing else from Queen)..!

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Pingfah user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 506 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 11, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote: Wikipedia (or PRICKIPEDIA as I call those f*ckheads) is talking BULLSH*T! Those f*ckheads are packed with inaccuracies and removed alot of sources and articles I submitted (all of which my sources were TRUE for the record). Once I told the mods (who removed my painstaking research and articles claiming they were not reliable) there to f*ck off and die, I got banned for life (but I don't give a f*ck as I know the truth much to their high and mighty knowing dismay).

Made in Heaven was not Queen's best selling studio album, here in the US anyway (that honor belongs to The Game and News Of the World (both at 4 million copies Stateside)). Made in Heaven barely went Gold in the States (500,000 copies sold in the US) and peaked at #56 (which I remember as the album came out the same day as the final studio album from Alice in Chains with original singer Layne Staley and the "long-awaited" Cypress Hill album (which my other best friend Chuck bought while I was buying Queen's Made in Heaven) came out that day (as did the expanded version of Who's Next by The Who (which I also bought the week it came out)). Made in Heaven had little to no airplay on regular rock radio and VH1 and MTV did sh*t to promote it (here in the States anyhow)!

Queen's US sales have always been a drop in the ocean compared to total sales anyway, especially from the 80s onwards. So I would say the fact it was not successful in the US does not mean it can't be their highest selling album, it's not even much of an indication of how globally popular the album was at all.

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 11, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info, everyone.

This is the first time I've heard It's A Beautiful Day was recorded as early as 1980 - and very interesting it's included as an 'extra' on The Game upcoming re-master!

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 11, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Its ball park stuff, everyone knows this already.... I wouldnt go to a messageboard of a band I just got into and ask the obvious shit..., specially on the board marked 'serious' -' so Led Zepp fans... what do you tink of Stairway'???
======================================

That's incredibly ignorant. If someone is new to Queen and doesn't know these things, they're perfectly within their right to ask someone here. If it's not to your liking, don't react in the way you have. A friend of mine is still fairly new to Queen's story and most albums and I am always glad to help when he has questions. God forbid he posts something here while you're around.

When these threads pop up I have a look to see what's being said and move on. Either that or perhaps I can answer a question or shed light on something. It wasn't so long ago since I helped detect that IABD was from The Game era. If I'd acted like you and told them to piss off with more MIH chat, we'd never have gotten into that at all.

Adam.