Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > News Of The World (questions)

forum rss feed
Author

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 11, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just been thinking about NOTW.  It's one of my favourites and I was wondering about the way the songs were created.  I mean, if you listen to the BBC session versions of It's Late and Spread Your Wings you will hear, in It's Late there is a section that is very much like Get Down Make Love and the outro to Spread Your Wings is very much like the outro to It's Late.  We also know that Sleeping On The Sidewalk was very much off the cuff.  So my question is does anyone know about what songs were recorded first 

i am kinda drunk and smokey so if i'm not making sense be kind.


Don't shun it!
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 11, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The songs on the album were recorded first. Queen temporarily disappeared up their own arse for the BBC sessions, specially the monstrosity that is Its Late/Get Down Make Love 'mashup'.

Utterly horrible.

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 11, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a lot of misinformation about the BBC Sessions of Queen. As it was common practice that bands gave remixes and outtakes to the BBC I still don't believe that neither "It's late" nor "We will rock you"(slow/fast) have been recorded there.

Especially "It's late" sounds more like an early version with the guitar/synth part. That somehow did not really fit in there and my theory is, that they liked the sound but knew it was in the wrong song. Which may have lead to create "Get down make love".
The other way around it somehow makes no sense. Just a theory - but true BBC recordings never have many overdubs like "It's late" and "We will rock you". Also true BBC recordings would not be released on "King Biscuit" samplers.... 

"Melancholy Blues" and "Spread your wings" on the other side could really be BBC recordings. As they are very basic.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jun 11, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote: There is a lot of misinformation about the BBC Sessions of Queen. As it was common practice that bands gave remixes and outtakes to the BBC I still don't believe that neither "It's late" nor "We will rock you"(slow/fast) have been recorded there.

Especially "It's late" sounds more like an early version with the guitar/synth part. That somehow did not really fit in there and my theory is, that they liked the sound but knew it was in the wrong song. Which may have lead to create "Get down make love".
The other way around it somehow makes no sense. Just a theory - but true BBC recordings never have many overdubs like "It's late" and "We will rock you". Also true BBC recordings would not be released on "King Biscuit" samplers.... 

"Melancholy Blues" and "Spread your wings" on the other side could really be BBC recordings. As they are very basic.
------------------------------------------------

This kinda make sense when you consider that the purported It's Late BBC Session isn't on the NOTW remaster bonus disc.

Does anyone remember it being broadcast on the BBC show originally?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jun 11, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recall reading something Brian had said which suggested either the fast version of WWRy was created before the slow version, or they were meant to meld together as a single song rather like the BBC session and some live performances from 1977.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jun 11, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kinda hard for them to get there idea's for NOTW during the bbc sssions, when the actual album was released the same they they went to the bbc, do u not think?


Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!



Arsebiscuits!!!!!
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote: Soundfreak wrote: There is a lot of misinformation about the BBC Sessions of Queen. As it was common practice that bands gave remixes and outtakes to the BBC I still don't believe that neither "It's late" nor "We will rock you"(slow/fast) have been recorded there.

Especially "It's late" sounds more like an early version with the guitar/synth part. That somehow did not really fit in there and my theory is, that they liked the sound but knew it was in the wrong song. Which may have lead to create "Get down make love".
The other way around it somehow makes no sense. Just a theory - but true BBC recordings never have many overdubs like "It's late" and "We will rock you". Also true BBC recordings would not be released on "King Biscuit" samplers.... 

"Melancholy Blues" and "Spread your wings" on the other side could really be BBC recordings. As they are very basic.
------------------------------------------------

This kinda make sense when you consider that the purported It's Late BBC Session isn't on the NOTW remaster bonus disc.

Does anyone remember it being broadcast on the BBC show originally?
====

In my opinion, the BBC version of It's Late is not that special. The album version is far superior. Spread Your Wings on the other hand is incredible!


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BBC sessions can take many forms - for example, there are BBC sessions included on the first batch of reissues that use the actual album backing track with just new vox. I think the NOTW BBC session was done 'as live' and overdubbed (the process of the overdubbing is discussed in an interview with the producer Jeff Griffin available on line). If Queen turned up with the whole track prerecorded (as bands have done) and they were done as BBC session, they still adhere to the BBC rules. Having done a few sessions for the BBC myself (including one in Maida Vale 4 as the NOTW one) I can tell you I would very much have liked the chance to overdub and bring a backing track!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding WWRY, Brian was pretty clear that the slow version came first. Not simultaneously with, not after, but first.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: Regarding WWRY, Brian was pretty clear that the slow version came first. Not simultaneously with, not after, but first.
As far as I'm aware Brian has only ever talked about the slow version of WWRY and has never discussed the creation of the fast version -- how, why and when. However, I do recall hearing or seeing something which suggested either that the fast version came first or that the slow-fast version we heard at the BBC session on on the NotW tour was the original version of the song. I could be wrong: my memory is as bad as Brian's at times. Any info from anyone about the fast version's origins would be appreciated. The BBC sessions version sounds very polished: I would guess it existed in some form during the recoding sessions of NotW and its not just something they made up on the spot in the Maida Vale studio.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think anyone is suggesting it was made up on the spot? I'm sure it was already in place and rehearsed up for the NOTW tour. A real shame the fast version didn't bookend the NOTW album.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote: I don't think anyone is suggesting it was made up on the spot? I'm sure it was already in place and rehearsed up for the NOTW tour. A real shame the fast version didn't bookend the NOTW album.
====

Luckily for Queen the slow version became ground-breaking!


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Literally, if you stomp too hard :o)

Never liked the track. There I said it.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenarchives.com/index.php?title=Brian_May_-_01-XX-2008_-_Guitar_Player

Matt Blackett: "Which version of “We Will Rock You” did you envision when you wrote it: the fast power-chord version that opens the Montreal show or the “stomp stomp clap” version on the studio album?"

Brian May: 'When I first came up with the idea, it was purely the “stomp stomp clap” version. I wanted something which an audience could do in any  situation.'

Crystal clear. Considering how important this song was for Dr May from the start, there's a strong chance his memory IS spot on this time.

So there.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure if bands would give remixes to the BBC.

From the BBC sessions by other bands I've heard, it's always a live take, or at least re-recorded.
Check out for instance Bowie's BBC sessions, or the ones Genesis did.


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)