Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Views on how badly EMI promoted Queen+Paul Rodgers The Comos Rocks???

forum rss feed
Author

GOATHEAD1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com
GOATHEAD1985
Rocker: 38 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jun 11, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whats everyones views on how the comsos rocks was promoted?

Roger Taylor has said in a convention video message that he was proud of the album but EMI promoted badly.

I was looking forward on see them on somthing like jonathan ross or loose woman, some fucking thing???????????

My view the song 'Small' should have been the first single???!!!

C-lebrity is a great song and a good piss take at simon cowell, x-factor etc......

e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 692 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 11, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one  tv appearence 6 months before the album was released = no promotion

had they pushed it properyly it would have done alot better. I don't think it would have sold millions, but loads of potential buyers had no idea the album was released

Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Comos Rocks was lacking in;

1 TV/Video Promotions. There was very little. 
2 Music Videos. Queen are one of thoses bands which made the music video popular, and the comos rocks is only Queen album not to have a music video. Music videos really help sell albums.
3 The Title, The cover art. Lets face it, the album title and the cover art is horrible. The album would look more appealing if it was just like the White Album.
4 Say its not true single for free download. That in my opinion was the biggest mistake as I remember Bri and Rog going on The Morning promoting the single (and the album), and having the single for free download doesnt help in its favour.

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't blame them.  It wasn't very good.

Really... would you throw a million dollars pushing C-Lebrity?

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1353 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hands down one of the best Queen studio l.p.s of all time!!!     I LOVE it!!!    I will FOREVER be FURIOUS at how bad that was sold both in the U.S. and worldwide.     The cover sucks as well as the cover for "Return Of The Champions".    Those can be redone on a re-release.     The answers given above a few posts back basically sum it all up.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The cover is right up there with Brian's Live At Brixton Academy! ;)

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EMI had little to do with that album except distributing it. It always depends on the deal how much a record company invests in the promotion.
Why did the album go down?
I think it was too british, the single "C-lebrity" was maybe a good wordplay but only for english people. And the song had no real hook. Also I think the band itself didn't really believe in the album, there was no tv performance in other countries and even in the concerts only few songs were played.
It's always difficult when you have such a huge history and then come up with something new. Anyone remember the last Rolling Stones album ??? Or the last McCartney album ?

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8670 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rubbersuit wrote: I don't blame them.  It wasn't very good.

Really... would you throw a million dollars pushing C-Lebrity?

QFT

Killed by drones.
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I second what someone said about C-lebrity above - wouldn't pour a million dollars into it. And even if EMI did, I still don't think it would help. In fact, much better albums made similar flops, so I wouldn't take it very seriously. Besides, ugly PR sang on it, so even better it didn't ship too many units and utilise itself amongst the people. More disappointing is the fact that a song like The Unblinking Eye went virtually unnoticed. Poor Rog.

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 447 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13918671

GOATHEAD1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com
GOATHEAD1985
Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair points people, tough crowd on this subject.

I agree that the album cover and title was shit and should have done some video.

To say it was a bad album is a load of shit.

It was, what it was: Queen(Brian May and Roger Taylor) and Paul Rodgers album.

Its makes me laugh sometimes, I can understand being loyal to the band, but everytime they do somthing new, tour or somthing its always a backlash.

Of course and rightly so everything they do will be compared to everything that come before it.

I can understand people seeing Paul Rodgers on the tours and or buying albums (live/studio) they have done but it was the power of Brian and Roger that the bluck of people wanted.

Like it or not they are Queen.

For younger fans like me this was the only and closest to seeing Queen. The fact is most or all shows were sold sold out(could be wrong) speaks for it self.

I think we should be happy that Queen are still current.

But thats my view.

Each to their own!

Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GOATHEAD1985 wrote: Fair points people, tough crowd on this subject.

I agree that the album cover and title was shit and should have done some video.

To say it was a bad album is a load of shit.

It was, what it was: Queen(Brian May and Roger Taylor) and Paul Rodgers album.

Its makes me laugh sometimes, I can understand being loyal to the band, but everytime they do somthing new, tour or somthing its always a backlash.

Of course and rightly so everything they do will be compared to everything that come before it.

I can understand people seeing Paul Rodgers on the tours and or buying albums (live/studio) they have done but it was the power of Brian and Roger that the bluck of people wanted.

Like it or not they are Queen.

For younger fans like me this was the only and closest to seeing Queen. The fact is most or all shows were sold sold out(could be wrong) speaks for it self.

I think we should be happy that Queen are still current.

But thats my view.

Each to their own!
I agree with you. I quite liked The Comos Rocks album myself (dispite the title and album cover). The songs from that album worked very well live.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my best guess?

the whole thing was not EMI's fault....the whole things has the smell of a "contractural obligation" on boths sides...

the RoTC etc etc didn't do what anyone expected....EMI/queen proabably signed a 2 cd deal....so EMI did the minimum...and so (unfortunately) did Queen...cos TCR is a bag of shite of the most humungous proportions

go deo na hÉireann
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://metalparadise.queenzone.com/forums/1177212/lack-of-advertising.aspx?page=1

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in case the above link wont work..............................................
would ,the cosmos rocks,been a bigger hit if advertising was better.in my region(the scottish borders),there was little or no adverts for it.and as for the forethcoming release.live in the ukraine.i dont expect much more.if queen productions had been a bit more on the ball it could have been a massive hit.i and many others loved the album,went ballistic at the secc,and thought it was so so much better than,return of the champions(basicly queens greatest hits with a few extra tracks).maybe  queen productions or a couple of band members thought it would fail.i think that had a massive advertising campaing been launched it could.and should,have been a bigger hit.i even know someone who knows i am a lover of queen and q+pr,(not a lover a such lol),and is a queen fan in a very small way herself.that she didnt even know about ,the comos rocks,till 2 weeks after it's release..so maybe this time they will go for glory,a massive advertising blitz.maybe even posters lol.after all apart from rock in rio,this is queen or queen+paul rodgers second biggest concert ever(now the purists will tell me there was a bigger one lol).in fact for a 1 night concert this may have been the biggest.(sorry if rio was bigger).yes i know that this release is nearly the same as return of the champions.but there was 1extra song(cleb)lol.so for fuck sake....queen productions.get your act together and advertise.unless you want one of the biggest bands in history to fade away(no pun intended)..me myself i will be buying the tin(cd,dvd,tshirt).but i will still be watching the uncut version i downloaded from my friends at queenzone.complete with ukranian comments between songs..nice.

Ken8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 341 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All involved knew they had a turkey on their hands.

Trying to sell "Queen" without Mercury was going to be about impossible.  The crap music they came up with without him didn't help......and they wonder why the general public still think Mercury WAS Queen......

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4262 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least Cosmos Rocks didn't include crap songs like Delilah, My Baby Does Me, Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, Friends Will Be Friends, Man On The Prowl, ...

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2757 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The album wasn't promoted because Brian, roger, paul and everyone else involved knew the album wasn't very good.......the title track is possibly the worse Queen related song of all time...yes, worse than the above songs mentioned...a few songs are decent.  "butterfly"  and "small" but overall it's not good.  Still burnin?.....warboys?   We believe is ten times more cringe worthy than Friends will be friends.  Call Me?.....Don't try and blame poor promotion for it's lack of success.  just be honest and say the album wasn't any good!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2757 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ken8 wrote: All involved knew they had a turkey on their hands.

Trying to sell "Queen" without Mercury was going to be about impossible.  The crap music they came up with without him didn't help......and they wonder why the general public still think Mercury WAS Queen......

most of the general public doesn't even know about the cosmo rocks, or doesn't care to know....sadly, in most people's eye's mercury =Queen.   I personally think Brian is one of the best guitarist in rock history, but when i say that to people they don't want to hear it........They say he's pretty good, but freddie is Queen.....i understand Freddie was a great frontman and original for sure, but other bands had great frontmen, and the other members of those bands still get their due respect.   The Who, Zep, The Stones, Van halen all had legendary frontmen...   what was Brian missing?.....maybe because he wasn't a great shredder?...but gilmore gets a lot of respect from the general public, he's also not a shredder.   I think no one knows how good Brian is because most of the hits don't have much guitar...Radio Ga Ga type of songs....Even the 70's hits don't have much guitar.  Bo Rhap, Somebody to love, ect.....only in the solo's, which were good but short.  If 'it's late' was among queen's most popular songs people would see them in a whole different light.

Pandy Legend user not visiting Queenzone.com
Pandy Legend
Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think TCR had so much potential to do well, but as stated above the promotion just wasn't there - I always feel this happens with any new Queen related stuff since Made In Heaven.

The Eye game was reportedly going to have an "unprecedented" media campaign surrounding its launch. The launch was then delayed and the game was released almost unnoticed, with staff in shops such as Game having never heard of it two weeks after its release.

Another World and Electric Fire had some marketing, but all I can really remember was Brian going on the Smith and Jones show to appear in a sketch and maybe an interview on BBC Breakfast (which no-one watches).

And then the same happened with TCR. When they appeared on the Al Murray show and performed C-lebrity I actually thought there may be some hope, as that show was a prime time ITV show but 6 months went by with virtually nothing in the way of build up or promotion.

In my mind TCR stands up well against other Queen / BM / RT / Bad Co / Free / PR albums - yes there are some duff tracks as with any album, but that is more a matter of personal taste than anything.

C-lebrity could have done well as a single if released to coincide with a reality TV show such as X Factor or Big Brother.

Cosmos Rocking whilst a little cheesy is a good rocking, dance along track which would appeal on many levels and would have made a better first single.

Small is to my mind the weakest song on the album, along with Surfs Up and is certainly not single material.

For me, the best tracks are Voodoo (but I like blues) and Warboys (more for the lyrics as they reflect my own views).

SINT is a good single to promote the charity, but to provide it as a free download and then as a paid for single was a mistake. People would not have minded paying for the download if the money was going to the MPT/46664.

With regards to the album covers, I get the impression that Brian is making them himself nowadays on his computer. The TCR cover and album title is clearly a Brian concept as it connects to his love of space and the fact that he has to use the word "rocks" in everything he does. ROTC looks like it was done in MS-Word.

Putting all that aside though, for me it's the music thats important and if Queen/EMI or whoever don't promote it, then it's their loss, not mine.

;-P