Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Don't Lose Your Head...Seriously?

forum rss feed
Author

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry, but what was Roger thinking when he wrote this song? I know it fits the context of the Highlander movie, but still...
Worse, how did he manage to sneak it onto the album? There's no excuse for that!

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling is fantastic - was pretty disappointed with what I guess is the 'finished' version.

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is, sorry, i meant to say that, I think its class, that's why i can't understand why DLYH is so bad! Course it's just my opinion, but i've yet to meet a fan who has ever said DLYH is good.

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I quite like Don't Lose Your Head. I like the whole A Kind of Magic album in fact, the only thing I hate about the magic album is the bonus tracks. It ruins the pacing for me.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whaaaaat !!!! - DLYH is a fine track!!  - have you been drinking ?

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like "Don't Lose Your Head" as well. It's fine. It won't win any awards, but as a cheeky album track, it's cool. 

If I'd heard "A Dozen Red Roses" first (rather than years later), maybe I'd have thought less of the song, but who knows? I like the atmosphere and feel of both. And I view the two as related, of course, but wholly individual tracks (just like "One Vision" and "Blurred Vision," "A Kind Of Magic" and "A Kind Of 'A Kind Of Magic,'" and "Friends Will Be Friends" and "Friends Will Be Friends Will Be Friends."

What I mean is this: I listen to the song and think, "What are the band trying to do? They recorded and released it this way for a reason, so what did they accomplish of what they set out to do?" It doesn't matter to me that, say, "AKO'AKOM'" is essentially an edit of the Extended Version, because by giving it a new name and presenting the way they did, they're effectively saying, "Here's something else we think is worth listening to on its own. It's connected to the album as a whole, even if it's not strictly part of it, and expands on our vision." At least that's how I read it.

I think I'll put DLYH on now. I haven't listened to that song in a while. Thanks for reminding me.

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Djdownsy wrote: It is, sorry, i meant to say that, I think its class, that's why i can't understand why DLYH is so bad! Course it's just my opinion, but i've yet to meet a fan who has ever said DLYH is good.
=================================================
Well, then you've just met a fan who says DLYH is good - it's me. Really, this song is amazing.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a pile of 80's shit - a reject from the Electric Dreams soundtrack, surely.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2256 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I happen to love Don't Loose Your Head. It even took my attention once to the point where I crashed my car, LOL. Really, it could have killed me, believe me.

DLYH is pure class synth pop. Queen by then were so awesome, that they could simply decide which would be the style of a song and do it on par with the best on any league. (In this case, the Human League, heh.) I mean, they showed that they could do it as fine as any synth pop act. Fantastic track, really.

The only reasons why I would think somebody would not like it would be either the person being too young to understand where it came from or not liking synth pop by then. If the person is about 40 years old nowadays and used to like synth pop, like me, I would say that person would almost automatically love the song.

Cheers,

Uncle Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it's good synth pop, then it's the best of an utterly terrible lot.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Meh...the song never bothered me, nor was it ever my favorite...I always liked the drums and the synth-bass line, always thought it was kind of a cool rhythm. Lyrics left alot to be desired, as did quite a few of Roger's songs...

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 11, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's amusing how Queen discussions can devolve into "synths = bad."

I wonder sometimes if classical music enthusiasts get into heated discussions with arguments like, "Yeah, the moment Mozart incorporated chromatic harmony, it all went to shit!" 

(For those who need this explained, I'm comparing the fans, not the artists.)

Synthesizers are not evil contraptions and artists who use them are not uninspired, lazy hacks. It's okay to like the synth. It is not a betrayal of your inner dirty-jeans, weed-smoking hard rocker. There is more to popular music than guitar, drums, bass and piano.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A so-so track. Fred delivers a great performance though and the chorus, if you could call it that, has a nice melody.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say it is different to the relationship between AKOM and AKOAKOM and One Vision and Blurred Vision - in that it is an entirely different piece presented with a different title rather than a bad play on the title. I can't say I hate DLYH, it's just one of those inessential tunes and I'd have prefered ADRRFMD on the album - at least that goes the whole hog into 80's electro land.

Can someone do a mix of it with the vocals to Sheer Heart Attack? I'd love that.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It took me some years - about 10 - but now I really like that song!

Especially the part with: "Don't drink and drive your car"...

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Me, I don't care for DLYH - but cool that someone mentioned Electric Dreams.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
JamesCore88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Machine guns ready to go...
JamesCore88
Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it isn't bad song. The problem is, it has a bad cut.

Pull yourself together

'Cos you know you should do better

That's because you're a free man

joesilvey user not visiting Queenzone.com
joesilvey
Bohemian: 238 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger definitely wrote worse songs than DLYH... i like it as well...

Joseph A. Silvey
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: It's amusing how Queen discussions can devolve into "synths = bad."

I wonder sometimes if classical music enthusiasts get into heated discussions with arguments like, "Yeah, the moment Mozart incorporated chromatic harmony, it all went to shit!" 

(For those who need this explained, I'm comparing the fans, not the artists.)

Synthesizers are not evil contraptions and artists who use them are not uninspired, lazy hacks. It's okay to like the synth. It is not a betrayal of your inner dirty-jeans, weed-smoking hard rocker. There is more to popular music than guitar, drums, bass and piano.
===========================

It's also okay to generally not like music that is dominated by synth.  It is not a betrayal of your inner toddler to recognize that you're entitled to your own opinion, but not everybody else's.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 11, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I never really liked it, but I can't say I HATE it. I've heard worse songs, even from Queen (Delilah anybody ?)