Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > News Of The World remastered 2011

forum rss feed
Author

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see any topics discussing the new batch individually, so sorry if double post?

I love this remaster. It sounds absolutely great. They've given these songs new life.

IHIGHLIGHTS

It's Late - I've never been a lover of this song, but it now sounds like the hard rocker it always should have been now.

All Dead, All Dead - As of all the remasters so far, we can at last hear Brian's lead vocals the way they should have always been. They have a bit of volume now, and you can really hear how rich is voice was. Piano in this song is lovely and a lot clearer.

Spread Your Wings - I prefer the BBC one. The album cut sounds more or less the same as it always did, although Freddie's voice is sharper sounding to my ear. I think there was an interview around then that Freddie said Brian is ruining his beautiful voice and that he sang til he bled trying to get it right for It's Late... you can hear that now in these songs (no wonder he had nodules). The SYW BBC version is stunning, they're all on top form and the remaster sounds amazing. A very modern feel to it.

My Melancholy Blues - The album version sounds like Freddie is in your room singing at a piano. Again though, the BBC v is better IMO. You can really hear the "blues" in Freddie's voice. Brian's subtle guitar work at times really comes through. Simple but very effective.

The other songs all sound louder and that's a good thing for this album imo.

NEGATIVES

Sheer Heart Attack - I wish it got the same treatment as It's Late. Still sounds too weak for it to be the hard rocker it was live. Dissapointed with this track.

Feelings, Feelings - Nice the first time I listened, but fails to hook me the way other songs on that album did, so I can see why it was excluded. Freddie sounds awesome, but the song would have been an album filler for me.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about SHA. One of my all time favorite songs but has always seemed to lack the omph it deserves.

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They have really worked on "It's late". The track is EQed slightly sharper than on previous versions like "Queen Rocks" or the "Hollywood "News of the World".

But most noticible they have cleaned the intro. All earlier copies contain lots of deep microphone rumbling noises on words like "love me", "myself"...."inside". 

All this has been removed now.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote:

But most noticible they have cleaned the intro. All earlier copies contain lots of deep microphone rumbling noises on words like "love me", "myself"...."inside".

======================

Excellent catch.  Indeed, It's Late has never sounded better !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know what SHA is lacking?

A snare drum.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote: You know what SHA is lacking?

A snare drum.

No, I think the thing it really lacks is cowbell.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 11, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can always use more cowbell.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
smilebrian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anyone compared the remaster to the MFSL or the Target CD?

I have the MFSL which I think sounds pretty good, but I haven't heard the Target.
Vinyl murders all of them anyway, so I play that mostly now.

It's Late for me is one of Queen's greatest, one of my top three for sure.

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 07:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Rick wrote: You know what SHA is lacking?

A snare drum.

No, I think the thing it really lacks is cowbell.
====

Hehe, I was being serious. You can hardly hear the snare. Why not the same drum sound as in Fight From The Inside, Get Down Make Love or It's Late? I don't understand.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1589 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We know SHA was around the time of the album of the same name - it is often said to have been 'started' at those sessions, but is the backing track from then, or was it totally newly recorded for NOTW?

TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote: But most noticible they have cleaned the intro. All earlier copies contain lots of deep microphone rumbling noises on words like "love me", "myself"...."inside". 

All this has been removed now.

Haven't heard it yet. But I have to say, that concerns me. 'Cleaning' is what made the 93-4 remasters a waste of plastic.

If it's been "no-noised", I'll be very disappointed.

joesilvey user not visiting Queenzone.com
joesilvey
Bohemian: 238 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think NOTW is the best sounding of the second set of remasters... completely agree that it sounds like the band are playing right in the room with you.  absolutely stunning...

Joseph A. Silvey
TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smilebrian wrote: Has anyone compared the remaster to the MFSL or the Target CD?

I have the MFSL which I think sounds pretty good, but I haven't heard the Target.
Vinyl murders all of them anyway, so I play that mostly now.

It's Late for me is one of Queen's greatest, one of my top three for sure.

I've turned my back on the MFSL of News. As much as there are parts that sound great (which seduced me for a while), it's just too bright over all. Distractingly so.

The same mastering approach is used on the Races MFSL, but for some reason it really works on that album. The definitive version of that album for me.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 11, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TyphoonTip wrote:

If it's been "no-noised", I'll be very disappointed.

======================

Oh no, it's nothing like that.  It's clean as clean will ever get.  Analog clean.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
smilebrian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TyphoonTip wrote:

I've turned my back on the MFSL of News. As much as there are parts that sound great (which seduced me for a while), it's just too bright over all. Distractingly so.

The same mastering approach is used on the Races MFSL, but for some reason it really works on that album. The definitive version of that album for me.

I'm aware that the MFSL of News isn't definitive and at the moment I'm liking it but I don't have a quality copy to compare. I've been holding out for a Target but just can't find any for sensible money, plus vinyl has taken over my life for the time being. 

I haven't bothered with the MFSL of ADATR as I have the CP32 which I really like, I may look out for one now. I find it impossible to beat the Millennium EMI vinyl which I think sounds superb although I haven't compared to a mint UK first pressing. 

I'm holding off on spending any more $ on new Queen releases as I've been chronically disappointed in virtually everything released for the last 15 years. I can't bare the thought of spending money on remasters that sound worse than the CP32's, so for now I'm holding... even though some good things have been said about them.

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote: We know SHA was around the time of the album of the same name - it is often said to have been 'started' at those sessions, but is the backing track from then, or was it totally newly recorded for NOTW?

======

The drums are from 1977, I'm pretty sure of that.

Ghostwithasmile is BACK! user is on Queenzone.com
Ghostwithasmile is BACK!
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I think they didgreat on News of the World. Very nice sound...

I love the albumsong Sheer Heart Attack... but when itcomes to the guitar solo : I think it is quite a annoying sound....reminds me of a dentist drilling..... And with headphones you can't play it to loud....

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is on HUGE problem which I have with these remasters. They are way too loud, I hate loud CDs

DaveyLane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote: dysan wrote: We know SHA was around the time of the album of the same name - it is often said to have been 'started' at those sessions, but is the backing track from then, or was it totally newly recorded for NOTW?

======

The drums are from 1977, I'm pretty sure of that.

From memory there are no concert toms on the SHA album??

Besides, there's no way, bearing in mind the methodical process of RT pulling drum sounds in 1977 that they would have kept a drum take recorded three years before when they would have had a considerably smaller recording budget....

DaveyLane user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 03 Jul 11, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ghostwithasmile wrote: Well I think they didgreat on News of the World. Very nice sound...

I love the albumsong Sheer Heart Attack... but when itcomes to the guitar solo : I think it is quite a annoying sound....reminds me of a dentist drilling..... And with headphones you can't play it to loud....

I think that was the intention!!!!