Forums > Personal > the sex pistols

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

trying to get into them, their songs are ok, god save the queen is pretty cool
though the vocalist dude seems to be pissed constantly and makes ozzy osbourne look like a drug virgin and make me feel sane

anyway, cool band, they got the looks and everything, got the sound and the alcohol definatly

what dose everyone think of  'em then?

i think their alright, early days yet though

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excessively overated IMO.

The Pistols got a load spotlight thanks to the controversy they created.
That being said, I can somehow appreciate punk for it's simplicity, but it's definitely the one rock genre that requires the least amount of talent. The Clash without a doubt was the one band of the scene that stood out the most.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hehe, i wish the convo between Freddie and Sid Vicious had been recorded :D

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote: hehe, i wish the convo between Freddie and Sid Vicious had been recorded :D

===========
same! from what ive heard of it they properly bitched it out! xD wanna come back in time with me and see it? xD LOL

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: catqueen wrote: hehe, i wish the convo between Freddie and Sid Vicious had been recorded :D

===========
same! from what ive heard of it they properly bitched it out! xD wanna come back in time with me and see it? xD LOL

sure, where's ur time machine?  :D

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have quite an eclectic taste in music, and appreciate a broad range of genres.  Punk, and the Sex Pistols in particular, have no place in it!  Cannot stand them.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

catqueen wrote: lifetimefanofqueen wrote: catqueen wrote: hehe, i wish the convo between Freddie and Sid Vicious had been recorded :D

===========
same! from what ive heard of it they properly bitched it out! xD wanna come back in time with me and see it? xD LOL

sure, where's ur time machine?  :D

=====================
its in my bedroom disguised as an old blue police phone box, i call it "the tardis" comes in very handy in them bored afternoons, last sunday i met queen victoria :) very nice lady indeed, anyway, remember your camera then! we'll make history! queen vs the sex pistols! that'll be a hit on youtube for sure!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: I have quite an eclectic taste in music, and appreciate a broad range of genres.  Punk, and the Sex Pistols in particular, have no place in it!  Cannot stand them.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

would have to disagree.
1. punk took music back to it's rock n roll basics.....if you listen to the sex pistols stuff - esp NMTB.....jones/cook played some pretty good/catchy rock n roll ...and underneath the snarls and anger there's some good tunes
2. lyrically, some of NMTB is excellent
3. the punk movement that they helped to kick-start, gave the established rock bands the shakeup they needed.....it's not a co-incidence that, the who, queen, mcartney, lez zep, and floyd were all a little jaded...then as punk crash-landed those bands produced something totally different and almost expreiemental for themselves. at the very least it made those bands start to approach music differently

queen - news of the world
wings - london town
the who - who are you? (actually had two tracks called "new song" and "music must change"
led zep - in thru the out door
pink floyd - the wall

in conclusion, what punk did for music was huge......it changed the face of a corporate and acceptable dull business into somehting vibrant, fresh and open to change...i'm sure those five bands are only a small example of the "dinosaurs" whose very next albums following punk's birth were real departures from their usual sound.


go deo na hÉireann
JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: trying to get into them, their songs are ok, god save the queen is pretty cool
though the vocalist dude seems to be pissed constantly and makes ozzy osbourne look like a drug virgin and make me feel sane

anyway, cool band, they got the looks and everything, got the sound and the alcohol definatly

what dose everyone think of  'em then?

i think their alright, early days yet though reply:

the "look" you can put down solely to Malcolm Mclaren and Viviene Westward as its their designs

without punk and the pistols you would not have the clash or any other punk/new wave band to emerge from the scene,it was the best thing to happen to british music in the 70's and if you want proof watch Top of the Pops 76 on BBC4 on thursdays...


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 11, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: Thistleboy 1980 wrote: I have quite an eclectic taste in music, and appreciate a broad range of genres.  Punk, and the Sex Pistols in particular, have no place in it!  Cannot stand them.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

would have to disagree.
1. punk took music back to it's rock n roll basics.....if you listen to the sex pistols stuff - esp NMTB.....jones/cook played some pretty good/catchy rock n roll ...and underneath the snarls and anger there's some good tunes
2. lyrically, some of NMTB is excellent
3. the punk movement that they helped to kick-start, gave the established rock bands the shakeup they needed.....it's not a co-incidence that, the who, queen, mcartney, lez zep, and floyd were all a little jaded...then as punk crash-landed those bands produced something totally different and almost expreiemental for themselves. at the very least it made those bands start to approach music differently

queen - news of the world
wings - london town
the who - who are you? (actually had two tracks called "new song" and "music must change"
led zep - in thru the out door
pink floyd - the wall

in conclusion, what punk did for music was huge......it changed the face of a corporate and acceptable dull business into somehting vibrant, fresh and open to change...i'm sure those five bands are only a small example of the "dinosaurs" whose very next albums following punk's birth were real departures from their usual sound.
=============================================================================================

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick mate - I am in no way questioning their influence and am not saying that they don't fit in as far as music history is concerned, I am just saying that they don't fit in with my taste in music.  Of course they have their place!  I just don't like them :)


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved punk when I was about 15, and I started to love it again cca 5 years ago (I'm 30).
The Pistols were an important part of the music history, they have basically shown the world that every angry junkie can make music loved by millions and they really started the "punk revolution".

Without Sex Pistols, the world would never have bands like The Clash, or the Buzzcocks, or even U2. Their first album, and their ONLY PROPER album - Never Mind The Bollocks is a great piece of musical work. However to be honest, their later work simply sucks.

Holiday In The Sun - 10/10
Liar - 9/10
No Feelings - 10/10
God Save The Queen - 10/10
Problems - 5/10
Seventeen - 5/10
Anarchy In The UK - 9/10
Bodies - 10/10
Pretty Vacant - 10/10
New York - 5/10
EMI - 5/10

together 8/10

Paul Cook is an excellent drummer, Steve Jones is an excellent guitar player, a good singer and both of them are great songwriters. However I can't stand Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten - probably the 2 biggest assholes in showbusiness

jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shitty "band".  They were nothing more than a fashion show (a bad one at that).


"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: I loved punk when I was about 15, and I started to love it again cca 5 years ago (I'm 30).
The Pistols were an important part of the music history, they have basically shown the world that every angry junkie can make music loved by millions and they really started the "punk revolution".

Without Sex Pistols, the world would never have bands like The Clash, or the Buzzcocks, or even U2. Their first album, and their ONLY PROPER album - Never Mind The Bollocks is a great piece of musical work. However to be honest, their later work simply sucks.

Holiday In The Sun - 10/10
Liar - 9/10
No Feelings - 10/10
God Save The Queen - 10/10
Problems - 5/10
Seventeen - 5/10
Anarchy In The UK - 9/10
Bodies - 10/10
Pretty Vacant - 10/10
New York - 5/10
EMI - 5/10

together 8/10

Paul Cook is an excellent drummer, Steve Jones is an excellent guitar player, a good singer and both of them are great songwriters. However I can't stand Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten - probably the 2 biggest assholes in showbusiness
-----

Ramones' first lp was released before the SP's first lp.

Ramones were punk.  They did it before SP and they did it better.

End of story.


"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ramones were American. Sex Pistols were (are) British. I'm wearing a Ramones t-shirt today btw :-)

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: Shitty "band".  They were nothing more than a fashion show (a bad one at that).
==============================

Wow.  Steely.  No...wait.  I mean brassy.  But that's not quite right either. Irony!  YES that's it.  It's irony.

GoRog! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 203 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pink floyd issued animals 1977 , not the wall ( that was 1979 )

sex pistols were a great one-off adventure , funny , silly , they shouldve toured with queen :))

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my point was that those bands "next recorded work" after the arrival of punk. Animals was written in 75/early 76 and recorded and completed BEFORE december 76.

Floyd's next "creation" after punk's arrival was "the wall"....so my point stands.

it's worth noting that animals is a real hack and slash criticism of society (much like punk) so even tho' it didn't fit the argument in relation to chronology, you could argu that the "floyd rich kids" were in touch with the vibe of the time


go deo na hÉireann
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3665 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sex Pistols are the perfect example of being in the right place at the right time. The luckiest mofo's in the history of music.