Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Back To Storm

forum rss feed
Author

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry if old, but just listened to Back To Storm on DaveF's YT account and thought it was quite cool. Is there any other info about this song, cos he doesn't seem to know if it's from The Works for definite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLEEjOXnQ8&feature=feedu

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never heard this before. Surely the small piece of lyrics that are identifiable are "You're coming on far too strong" and not "Back to Storm", which doesn't make any sense.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. It sounds much more like "coming on far too strong" or possibly "much too strong."

If it was recorded, as the YouTube post suggests, a little after The Works sessions ended (January '84), that would likely place it between January and July. Freddie was in the studio a lot recording Mr. Bad Guy tracks during that time, "Thank God It's Christmas" was recorded in the summer of 1984 and Queen Works! Tour started in late August. 

If the time period is correct, there's the window of opportunity.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder how stuff like this leaks. As far as I know this has not been played by Greg Brooks on a convention so I guess it must have a different source?

Silversaw user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any chance of getting a torrent of this one???  I see there is a 2:00 minute demo version and a short piano demo version...that would be great if someone could put them on here!!!

How do you like your eggs?
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting how Brooks and other sources of unreleased Queen songs completely missed this one.

There's a lot more out there that we don't know about....   which is probably why you have to take The Archivist with a grain of salt.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 11, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Never heard this before. Surely the small piece of lyrics that are identifiable are "You're coming on far too strong" and not "Back to Storm", which doesn't make any sense. =============================================================================================

I can definitely hear the words "back to storm" in there.  As for the Piano demo, I reckon it's fake - it sounds like the same track with the vocals turned down (there are definitely vocal leaks....).

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
bluephoenix user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Piano demo is real!

reminds me alot of the demo for Keep passing the open window

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

4 x Vision user not visiting Queenzone.com
4 x Vision
Bohemian: 508 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Pittrek for that info... do you know if Peter Freestone has any other similar demos?

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Freestone? Oh wow...can't believe he leaked this one out!

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Never heard this before. Surely the small piece of lyrics that are identifiable are "You're coming on far too strong" and not "Back to Storm", which doesn't make any sense. =============================================================================================

I can definitely hear the words "back to storm" in there.  As for the Piano demo, I reckon it's fake - it sounds like the same track with the vocals turned down (there are definitely vocal leaks....).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try listening to it after you;ve turned your bagpipes down ya Scottish numpty! ;)

Seriously, it sounds VERY like "coming on far too strong" to me. What would "back to storm" mean? I suppose it doesn;t make any difference since it's nothing but a bunch of ad libs.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Fastidious and Precise user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having listened to it very closely and at some volume I have to veer in the direction of "coming on far to strong". makes more sense as well. anyway fuck it it's just nice to hear something new!!

"Guaranteed to blow your mind"
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Try listening to it after you;ve turned your bagpipes down ya Scottish numpty! ;)

Seriously, it sounds VERY like "coming on far too strong" to me. What would "back to storm" mean? I suppose it doesn;t make any difference since it's nothing but a bunch of ad libs.
=============================================================================================

You leave my bagpipes alone!  Once you've taken the tatties out yer ears, you'll find it's "back to storm" :)

As for the Piano demo being "instrumental", why are there vocal leaks?  Seriously, listen carefully, you can still hear some feint ad-libs in there, around 0.31...

RE the meaning if the lyrics...could "storm" be a person?  Or would a storm blow hot and cold????

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... It sounds like the 'Little Boogie' version was recorded on a consumer tape recorder. That could mean it was recorded at Freddie's house. So probably he was just playing around with this idea he had, while mumbling some melody lines.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And thanks for sharing David, that's very generous! :-)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3665 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Holly2003 wrote: Never heard this before. Surely the small piece of lyrics that are identifiable are "You're coming on far too strong" and not "Back to Storm", which doesn't make any sense. =============================================================================================

Thought the same, maybe the piano 'demo' is lifted from the multitrack

bluephoenix user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anyone willing to share the tracks? :D

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, David just did..

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From a legal point of view, this is interesting.

After the recent sharing of the BBC recordings over here I wonder if QPL would mind if this and other tracks will be shared in lossless format with proper lineage. I also wonder if they have a copy of this and the previously leaked rare Freddie recordings (for instance: You Are The Only One".) If they HAVE a copy, why aren't these tracks on the Freddie Mercury solo collection box? I think "You Are The Only One" is far more interesting than most of what ended up on the boxset. 

Maybe the owner of this can do someting similar to what a certain person did when he wanted to share his minidisc mastercopy of Queen's BBC recordings? If the owner does not want / dare: Maybe a similar construction can be made and Pittrek wants to do the "dangerous" sharing again? 

Would sharing tracks like this one be a risky thing to do?
It could be. These aren't unofficial fan made live concert recordings (wich are being shared here all the time, and wich does seem to be OK). Also, if you compare this to the BBC tracks wich has been shared here, the BBC tracks were broadcast on radio so potentially many people could have recorded and collected them already anyway. This "Back To Storm" track (stupid fan made title by the way) is different. I can imagine that QPL didn't care much about the fact that the BBC tracks were shared overhere, but I think they DO have a problem with the fact that this track and others like "You Are The Only One" are out there.

BUT...
Let's assume that "Fried Chicken" is correct and Freddie recorded this at home, gave a cassette copy to a friend and that friend on his turn, for whatever reason, decides to leak these tracks: Are the tracks copyright protected? Can QPL claim property? Or was it up to Freddie himself to decide what to do with his homemade recordings and who to give a copy? I think the latter is correct. If so, these tracks can be shared freely. 

Some final thoughts:
- David R Fuller should stop wondering why his youtube account has been deleted. It will happen again. 
- Jim Beach has been a lawyer and QPL is wealthy enough to rent the best lawyers.
- It's not very smart to mention the name PF over here.
- It's up to the owner of the property of (a) recording(s) to decide wether this will be shared or not. (not you David...silly boy) 
- The fact that this has been shared on youtube is a pitty for a potential future Queen release.