Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger's new song; Dear Mr Murdoch.

forum rss feed
Author

Isle0fRed user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pecFVzIfCNA&feature=feedu

Whats is everyones opinion on this song.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer the old version. But still, nice to scrobble.

Pierre user not visiting Queenzone.com
Pierre
Bohemian: 294 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BEST!

Queen 2 Forever.
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's not a new song.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant new song by Roger!? Tweeted by Glinner recently (Glinner being Graham Linehan, who wrote Father Ted and the IT Crowd, followed by 10's of thousands...) calling for it to be xmas number one.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1788 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote: I prefer the old version. But still, nice to scrobble.

=========================================================================================

Agreed, but it's still nice to hear the new take on it, without the vocal effects.

Joyful the sound
Banawig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep prefer the original, I really LIKED the processed vocal parts & miss the drums.  However still good to have this & know the fire still rages within Roger!!  Do you think he re-recorded the vocals?  I can't decide - I know there's a new line of lyrics in there - so at least one line re-recorded.  Also instruments re-recorded?  Guitar solo not re-recorded...but Piano and Glockenspiel at end??

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Banawig wrote: Yep prefer the original, I really LIKED the processed vocal parts & miss the drums.  However still good to have this & know the fire still rages within Roger!!  Do you think he re-recorded the vocals?  I can't decide - I know there's a new line of lyrics in there - so at least one line re-recorded.  Also instruments re-recorded?  Guitar solo not re-recorded...but Piano and Glockenspiel at end??

===========================================================================================

What new line of lyrics?     it sound like the same song that has been edited quite a lot, missing verses & Lines. But I could be wrong!!!

Joyful the sound
Banawig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Line I've notice that changed.  Used to be:

"You control half our media whose values don't scan"

Now:

"You control half our media whose lifeblood is scam"

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great song! One of Roger's finest moments. One of the best songs of all Queen's members solo work. I like the new take.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Line I've notice that changed. Used to be:
Now:
===========================

NAh, it's been scam since it appeared on the album, The Japanese promo on Daverfuller channel has Scan though.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm happy for Roger to have serendipity give his art a shot in the arm, and happy if it can play a role in galvanizing people or making them think when the iron is hot, but I also can't help but recall the interview he just gave The Sun a few months ago to promote the 2011 reissues and the use of same years ago to promote WWRY via the free single.  There's kind of flexible ethics at play there, and that leaves a bit of an aftertaste.  It doesn't help that the official channel seems to have gone out of it's way to let people believe this is an entirely brand new work, which feels slightly dishonest in an unnecessary way.

horse feathers user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 11, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Gratefulfan, Get a grip. You would never be able to promote the music, without the media. Good or bad, Roger knows this, hence the expected dig he never got from Jools Holland about X factor. The Currant Sun is the biggest selling newspaper in Britain, If Roger can use this to promote Queen, then that is one upmanship, surely? We know the tabloids are full of crap, but he never went to The mirror or Daily Star, etc, cos  nobody reads them.
 Promote Queen, Roger, hate the Sun Roger, cos of what they did to Freddie, and let's not lose the plot here, cos that's what this song is about, the intrusion of his ill health.
 I hope Roger get's a massive hit from this song, cos he deserves it. The most productive member of Queen, the most up to date member of Queen, in terms of songs. (Not like the Dr, who is stuck in a time warp, and who had the cheek to have a pop at Nazis, by Roger... FFS?
 Roger, or can I call you Mr Dodger? Get Deacy back on board and you two will surely make Queen relevant in the 21st century and have more weight as a pair to over power the DR. Maybe then we would have loved the MIH, brand new album?, with half of the tracks we already had, a little bit more.
 Roger Taylor No 1? Yep, that would be a wonderful reward for a tireless and wonderful musician, and from the videos I have seen, and interviews, a decent geezer too.

paul wakefield
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Roger was forced to use the Sun to sell his product. Now I've heard it all lol!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Dodger Taylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surely promoting your music in the Sun is fine,its the biggest selling uk paper so gets most publicity which is good.The part of the paper Mr Taylor doesnt like is the part where they invade peoples private lives just to sell a paper without any respect for the people involved.Its a totally different part journalism.I suspect that each and everyone of us in the Uk has at some point brought The Sun just to read a big story inside about a big name doing something wrong so we're all to blame in one way.If we didnt buy it they wouldnt print it.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

cmsdrums

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer the original - always liked it- but I hope this new version goes viral and gets Roger the exposure he deserves. Oh, and the 'values/lifeblood' lyric line has been changed (and other verses have been edited out sadly).

cmsdrums

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just heard the Japanese promo for the first time - that actually has he same lyric line in question as this new version, but these are different to the standard 'Happiness?' release. Looks therefore as if Roger favoured one version originally, changed his mind at the last minute on release, but has now reverted back! Shame, as the 'who's values don't...scan' line is better to me andmore apt for the reason this has been remixed now

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Banawig wrote: Line I've notice that changed.  Used to be:

Now:

==========================================================================================

yes you are quite correct about the change in the lyric, but this lyric is still old from 1994, if you listen to the promo version.

you can find it here on David fullers youtube site:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZHQ4M6IqVs

Joyful the sound
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 11, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone with good ears who can determine what's new on the recording? To me it sounds like some lines are a bit different from the 1994 version, but maybe it's just the mix. The whole backing track seems to be new?