Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Princes of the universe reherseal

forum rss feed
Author

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jul 11, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have always thought that it was strange, that they did not perform this one live in magic tour. Is there any known reason for that and did they even reherseal this one before the magic tour ?

joesilvey user not visiting Queenzone.com
joesilvey
Bohemian: 238 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 11, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would have surely been weak without the dozens of layerd vocals and layed guitars...

Joseph A. Silvey
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 11, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think the harmonies and guitars present on the recording would necessarily on its own be a reason to stop them doing it live - Queen were masters of interpreting their studio work into live works by cleverly playing the right parts from the recording so that the absence of others wasn't so evident; they performed The Prophets Song, Millioanire's Waltz, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy etc.. live, even though the studio versions were crammed with overdubs.

Plenty of their other songs were reworked to be totally different in a live situation - A Kind of Magic for example is a beautifully crafter pop song with lots of production on the studio version, but becomes a heavier, blues based guitar filled number on stage.

I just think that they had a number of other tracks from the AKOM album which they 'had' to play or they wanted to play, as they already knew at that point that some of these would be singles later on. Overall, five singles from that album were played (Who Wants To Live Forever, Friends Will Be Friends, One Vision, A Kind of Magic) which would be seen as plenty from a new release I think, and therefore just the number of new tracks available stopped them doing any more.  In addition, that song would be so vocally challenging for Freddie with his voice on the wane as it was for a lot of those shows, so that would be a major factor.

queenfan78.1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 11, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was'nt released as a single in europe, and by that period they were only playing the singles off any new album. Had they toured down under or in the states, it would have been performed.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3057 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 11, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenfan78.1 wrote: It was'nt released as a single in europe, and by that period they were only playing the singles off any new album. Had they toured down under or in the states, it would have been performed. =============================================================================================

We had a similar discussion here before, about why it hadn't been played live, and that's fairly similar to the answer I gave then!  Great minds think alike :)

It also makes sense lol

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 11, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
McNulty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Good Po-lice
McNulty
Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 11, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the answer is basically that it was too badass for audiences to handle.