Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Re-issues: Final Five Albums - Bonus EP Tracklistings

forum rss feed
Author

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So whát do you've think about it?

THE WORKS - BONUS EP
1 I Go Crazy (B-Side) [Brian May]
2 I Want To Break Free (Single Remix) [John Deacon]
3 Hammer To Fall (Headbanger’s Mix) [Brian May]
4 Is This The World We Created…? (Live in Rio, January 1985) [Freddie Mercury & Brian May]
5 It's A Hard Life (Live in Rio, January 1985) [Freddie Mercury]
6 Thank God It’s Christmas (Non-Album Single) [Roger Taylor & Brian May]

A KIND OF MAGIC - BONUS EP
1 A Kind Of Magic (Highlander Version) [Roger Taylor]
2 One Vision (Single Version) [Queen]
3 Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Single Remix) [Freddie Mercury & John Deacon]
4 Forever (Piano Version) [Brian May]
5 A Kind Of Vision (Demo, August 1985) [Roger Taylor]
6 One Vision (Live at Wembley Stadium, July 11th 1986) [Queen]
7 Friends Will Be Friends Will Be Friends [Freddie Mercury & John Deacon]

THE MIRACLE - BONUS EP
1 I Want It All (Single Version) [Queen]
2 Hang On In There (B-Side) [Queen]
3 Hijack My Heart (B-Side) [Queen]
4 Stealin’ (B-Side) [Queen]
5 Chinese Torture (Instrumental) [Queen]
6 The Invisible Man (12” Version) [Queen]

INNUENDO - BONUS EP
1 I Can’t Live With You (1997 Rocks Retake) [Queen]
2 Lost Opportunity (B-Side) [Queen]
3 Ride The Wild Wind (Early Version with Guide Vocal) [Queen]
4 I’m Going Slightly Mad (Mad Mix) [Queen]
5 Headlong (Embryo with Guide Vocal) [Queen]

MADE IN HEAVEN - BONUS EP
1 Heaven For Everyone (Single Version) [Roger Taylor]
2 It’s A Beautiful Day (B-Side Version) [Queen]
3 My Life Has Been Saved (1989 B-Side Version) [Queen]
4 I Was Born To Love You (Vocal & Piano Version) [Freddie Mercury]
5 Rock In Rio Blues (Live B-Side) [Queen]
6 A Winter’s Tale (Cosy Fireside Mix) [Freddie Mercury]

Kuijpy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 274 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing special.

30 bonus songs
and 1 demo that we all don't have

A Kind Of Vision

Too bad.....

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Woeful. Worst yet I'd say.

And why put MLHBS on Made in Heaven when it was b-side from The Miracle?

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pure crap.

Only these are more or less interesting:

A Kind Of Vision (Demo, August 1985)
Ride The Wild Wind (Early Version with Guide Vocal)
Headlong (Embryo with Guide Vocal)

Squidgy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was looking forward to these bonus tracks the most as I thought there wont be live versions from the last three albums we didn't have already but I agree these ones are the worst yet. To re release stuff that was on the original CD's when they were released is really taking the piss. I won't be in any rush to buy these I'm afraid.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kuijpy wrote: So whát do you've think about it?

THE WORKS - BONUS EP
1 I Go Crazy (B-Side)  = Okay
2 I Want To Break Free (Single Remix)  = It's on Hits II remastered
3 Hammer To Fall (Headbanger’s Mix)  = Okay
4 Is This The World We Created…? (Live in Rio, January 1985) = Good
5 It's A Hard Life (Live in Rio, January 1985) = Good
6 Thank God It’s Christmas (Non-Album Single) = Okay

A KIND OF MAGIC - BONUS EP
1 A Kind Of Magic (Highlander Version) = Very Good
2 One Vision (Single Version) = Hits II again
3 Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Single Remix) = Excellent
4 Forever (Piano Version) = Okay
5 A Kind Of Vision (Demo, August 1985) = Excellent
6 One Vision (Live at Wembley Stadium, July 11th 1986) = Very Good
7 Friends Will Be Friends Will Be Friends = Good

THE MIRACLE - BONUS EP
1 I Want It All (Single Version) = Hits II
2 Hang On In There (B-Side) = Okay
3 Hijack My Heart (B-Side) = Okay
4 Stealin’ (B-Side) = Okay
5 Chinese Torture (Instrumental) = Okay
6 The Invisible Man (12” Version) = Okay

INNUENDO - BONUS EP
1 I Can’t Live With You (1997 Rocks Retake) = Okay
2 Lost Opportunity (B-Side) = Okay
3 Ride The Wild Wind (Early Version with Guide Vocal) = Excellent
4 I’m Going Slightly Mad (Mad Mix) = Excellent
5 Headlong (Embryo with Guide Vocal) = Excellent

MADE IN HEAVEN - BONUS EP
1 Heaven For Everyone (Single Version) = Okay
2 It’s A Beautiful Day (B-Side Version) = Very Good
3 My Life Has Been Saved (1989 B-Side Version) = Okay
4 I Was Born To Love You (Vocal & Piano Version) = Okay
5 Rock In Rio Blues (Live B-Side) = Okay
6 A Winter’s Tale (Cosy Fireside Mix) = Excellent
I'm only noting here what I think about it's inclusion, not rating the tracks themselves.

3 new demos = Excellent

2 new mixes = Excellent

11 Previous Non-Album tracks = No surprises here, but good to have.

2 Previous Extended Versions = Not bad

6 Single Versions = Some of which appear on Hits II, some don't, so all in all, pretty good (special mention goes to PISCTP, I love that mix!)  

1 Re-Take = Good to have remastered, I guess.

1 Original Version = Great to have the Highlander version of "Magic" remastered.

1 Previous Mix = This is from the FM boxed set. It makes sense to use it here, but I'd have loved to hear the raw vocal of one of the others. Or an new instrumental. Oh well.

3 Live tracks = 2 from Rio and 1 from the 1st Wembley show. I'm happy to have them, but will let the Live Experts on the site dissect them.

To sum up, it's pretty straightforward here. A few new gems, mostly good stuff we have, but worth getting remastered without shelling out for the Singles Boxes. 

I would've liked more demos/outtakes and a few more instrumentals, but if I was a new fan picking these up, I'd be happy to get these, the way I was happy for the bonus tracks on the 1991 HR remasters.

Good work overall, but now PLEASE get on with putting a definitive boxed set together with everything which doesn't appear on these remasters, QPL. That's it for my feelings now.

Inevitable criticisms from fans will include:

- needed more unreleased stuff

- why "this" track and not "that" track?

- why 2 discs?

- why not fill up the 2nd disc with at least the known released material related to that album?

- [Band/artist X] did their Deluxe Edition SO much better. Shame on money-grubbing Queen/QPL/Brian/Roger.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Good work overall, but now PLEASE get on with putting a definitive boxed set together with everything which doesn't appear on these remasters, QPL. That's it for my feelings now.

I don't think there are any more things left to be released in a boxset.  Otherwise, they would not have used the tracks from live at wembley, mk etc as bonus tracks.  The use of so many single versions as bonus tracks in the last batch of cds show they have run out of material and ideas.

ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote: I don't think there are any more things left to be released in a boxset

=======
Are you sure? Or you never heard about demos from conventions etc.? You'd better read QueenVault.com closely before telling such a nonsense.

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru
Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote:

rhyeking wrote:

I don't think there are any more things left to be released in a boxset.  Otherwise, they would not have used the tracks from live at wembley, mk etc as bonus tracks.  The use of so many single versions as bonus tracks in the last batch of cds show they have run out of material and ideas.

===================

Are you Jim Beach? Please visit some of the conventions a bit more. ;-)

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To me, their best 12" mix was Scandal, and they're not including that, eh?

Alrighty then...

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The "A Kind Of Vision" title is interesting, but I'm not 100% sure that was the original title, if the song had one to begin with before "One Vision."

The timeline looks like this:

July 13 was Live Aid.

August, Roger writes this demo, recorded either by himself or the entire band (we won't know until we hear it).

September, the band works in the studio to record "One Vision" (and remix "Blurred Vision").

Fall, Queen are shown the Highlander footage and are asked write a song, but end up writing several. And this is the key here, as Roger wrote "A Kind Of Magic" for Highlander and based it on a line from the movie. It seems unlikely that Roger titled a demo "A Kind Of Vision" a month or two before he heard the line "Hey, it's a kind of magic!" in the movie footage. 

My guess is that the demo had no real working title when Roger started it, became "One Vision," but this demo was different enough from the end result that they got clever and named it "A Kind Of Vision" (similar to "A Kind Of 'A Kind Of Magic'").

Or not, which seems a heck of a coincidence, though.

Big Fat Fanny user not visiting Queenzone.com
Big Fat Fanny
Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolute fucking crap. We've all got everything on these pathetic "bonus" EPs. I never thought I'd say this but Taylor and May can fuck right off if they think they're getting their grasping fingers on any more of my money in return for absolute shit like this. They've been stitching me up for 35 years now. Enough is enough.

dsmeer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The one I 'm most interested in:

I Was Born To Love You (Vocal & Piano Version) [Freddie Mercury]

Nice to have the b-sides on CD

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Expect a lot for this round

there is nothing new

Day dop user not visiting Queenzone.com
Day dop
Bohemian: 831 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What old fans don't *appear* to realise, is that no one is saying "YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS" - Queen are branching out to another generation of music lovers (Which is a good thing, for sure) and have changed labels. Why is that a problem? - And to a new generation of fans, these discs are absolutely fine.
I don't see a problem with these remastered albums at all. They sound obviously better, which I haven't seen anyone argue about - and also the choice is there to either buy the 1 disc version, OR the 2 disc version - and hey! - you even have the choice NOT to buy them at all. I personally have done, with the first 10 reissues, and will be - as my old Queen CD's are a little worn now, and I am thinking these are a nice replacement, with the extra tracks I had on 12 inch vinyl a long time ago, and some extras too.
 People just like to have something to fucking moan about, they really do. If stuff comes out the vaults, then fine - good. If it doesn't then enjoy what you have and be thankful for all the decent music that Queen gave us.

JohnMc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very disappointing all told. i have been trying to pretend that these releases are good to have but when you see what even a band like Suede have done with their recent deluxe back catalogue re-releases you release just how short of the mark these are. As ever the problem is there's no consistency. For each album there should be every b side and extended version, but no.....like the choices made for the singles collection it's all over the place.

Not a massive Suede fan but have a look next time you're in HMV or wherever and look at what's given to the fans track wise, and look at how it's presented....beautiful, complete...something you'd be proud to own....every Queen release should have looked at least like the 2005 NATO edition but all we get is rubbish jewel cases and even poorer track listing!

John McGlynn
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking - it's a new title following in the long line of '!'s and '!!!!'s in official rarity sleevenotes. I have loved Queen since 1982 and now I hope they disappear after this final insult.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And by that, I mean Roger or Brian needs to come to my flat in Shoreditch for an afternoon tea and discuss openly with me what all these tracks are, what all these rarities are on my hardrive, sign some LPs and then give me a hug and then ask me to co-ordinate the boxset instead of this over-brown-nosed cunt GB.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote: What old fans don't *appear* to realise, is that no one is saying "YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS" - Queen are branching out to another generation of music lovers (Which is a good thing, for sure) and have changed labels. Why is that a problem? - And to a new generation of fans, these discs are absolutely fine.
I don't see a problem with these remastered albums at all. They sound obviously better, which I haven't seen anyone argue about - and also the choice is there to either buy the 1 disc version, OR the 2 disc version - and hey! - you even have the choice NOT to buy them at all. I personally have done, with the first 10 reissues, and will be - as my old Queen CD's are a little worn now, and I am thinking these are a nice replacement, with the extra tracks I had on 12 inch vinyl a long time ago, and some extras too.
 People just like to have something to fucking moan about, they really do. If stuff comes out the vaults, then fine - good. If it doesn't then enjoy what you have and be thankful for all the decent music that Queen gave us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Er.. no. This is another missed opportunity to do something worthwhile and special with the Queen catalogue. Instead, it's mostly rereleased tracks. And everyone knows we don't have to buy them. The point is many of us WANT to but Queen stuff but they aren't releasing anything very interesting for more dedicated fans.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 11, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Day dop, Holly is right. This is a massively missed opportunity from QP. When I initially heard they were re-releasing their back catalogue with bonus stuff, I was hopeful for more than they actually delivered. Result? I am not buying any remasters just to get one or two songs that might interest me. Nor am I buying individual tracks as MP3's either. MP3 doesnt interest me that much too, if I am honest.....

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."