Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Any Queen Song You Just Didn't Like LIVE?

forum rss feed
Author

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 697 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there any Queen song you really enjoy that you feel never sounded good when performed live?

I think for me, it'd be Killer Queen.  Easily one of my favorite songs, but yet I can't think of a single live performance where I thought it sounded good - probably because Freddie had to shave so many high notes when performing it live.  The original song had such a smooth, delicate sound and live, to me, it just came across dull, flat and I dunno... too fast?  No flair to it.

Anyone else have one of those?

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's hit the notes live! The one thing he always did (even at his live peak/best shows), was not do the falsetto parts for the most part.

The Sheer Heart Attack versions of Killer Queen have Freddie singing it close to the album version!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hammer to Fall
One Vision
Love of My Life (studio version is much better)

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm In Love With My Car - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.
Bicycle Race - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.

Any way the wind blows...
mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4626 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is more, but for me, I Want To Break Free just didnt do it. There was times when I felt dear old Freddie was "shouting" the notes rather than singing them

Love Of My Life was ok live, but it might have been a lot better had the whole band played it pretty much like the studio version. Just my opinion

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MadTheSwine73 wrote: I'm In Love With My Car - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.
Bicycle Race - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.
================================================================================================

March of the Black Queen - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your Fairy King wrote: MadTheSwine73 wrote: I'm In Love With My Car - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.
================================================================================================

March of the Black Queen - If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full. If you're gonna do a song live, do it in full.

==========================================================================================================

Indeed.

Any way the wind blows...
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dont get me on this one please

having seen them live five times between 79 and 86 i would say that anything that required vocal speed or range suffered greatly

DSMN was terrible - you want evidence - listen to live killers version....freddie sounds almost drunk in places
somebody to love is pretty much a hit n miss thing live
play the game - again suffered

on the plus side: they always got the "opera section" of bo rhap spot on live...or was that a tape?  ;-)

go deo na hÉireann
Mercury 90 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mercury 90
Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actualle have to say, that I prefer every live version to the studio versions.
Especially in the years without the live keyboarder. I just love it that everything is rougher ( That's why I love Killer Queen live).

Keep Yourself Alive

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: dont get me on this one please

having seen them live five times between 79 and 86 i would say that anything that required vocal speed or range suffered greatly

DSMN was terrible - you want evidence - listen to live killers version....freddie sounds almost drunk in places
somebody to love is pretty much a hit n miss thing live
play the game - again suffered

on the plus side: they always got the "opera section" of bo rhap spot on live...or was that a tape?  ;-)
===============

The Live Killers version was heavily overdubbed. Most Jazz versions didn't sound too hot (though there's a few decent ones), but Freddie nails the song during the Crazy Tour.

Somebody To Love: As long as Freddie's voice was in decent enough shape, the song sounds great (which means stay away from Japan 1979 versions and some Works Tour versions :)

Play The Game: My favorites are from the 1980-1981 era (so many excellent versions)!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only song I can really think that I'm not too fond of live, is Bicycle Race. You just can't get the harmonies live on stage (all those multi-tracks), and the song just didn't sound right in a medley!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote: There is more, but for me, I Want To Break Free just didnt do it. There was times when I felt dear old Freddie was "shouting" the notes rather than singing them

Love Of My Life was ok live, but it might have been a lot better had the whole band played it pretty much like the studio version. Just my opinion
============

There are quite a handful of versions with that "shouting" or "barking" vocal quality to them! But there's always a silver lining in every cloud: Brussels 1984 (1st night): Freddie sings it very close to the studio version--and does not bark notes!

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 11, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YMBF - Just never sounded great. Brians guitar never really fit.
Killer Queen - Like many have said it sounds flat and lifeless live. They also made it too fast.
DSMN - Freddie couldn't sing it live.
Bicycle Race - Terrible live

I'll probably get hammered for this but AOBTD has never turned me on live either.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
fran1979 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who Wants To Live Forever, live, sounds awful.

merman
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1540 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First things first, Queen live was just super. The rearranged tunes were interesting and clever (not favorites, but I can always see the value of most of the songs mentioned here already) For me, the bad ones were those that dragged: Now I'm Here stretched out way beyond it's natural boredom level, Dargon Attack going on and on, the Hot Space tunes like Action This Day and Back Chat were you can see they are struggling. And those ones where you just think it's a bad idea - usually Tutti Fruitti or those jams when they're pretending they haven't been doing them the whole tour. But my main dislike, the one song that was just terrible ALL the time: Sheer Heart Attack. Album version: in my top 10. Live: Fast, yes. Good? No.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie CAN sing DSMN live! Freddie nails it the closest ever to the record!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fran1979 wrote: Who Wants To Live Forever, live, sounds awful.
==================

It sounds fine live. You can't get the full sound on that song live (which the studio version is over-produced), but considering things, it sounded OK live

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 04:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is my favorite version of WWTLF live--the chorus parts are awesome (excellent harmonies)!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is dedicated to dysan:

This is a top 10 version :)

Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As one of the posters here mentioned  'I Want to Break Free', especially the pause athe beginning when Fred waits for the crowd to sing I Want Break Free, why didn't he sing it himself I 'm sure the crowd would have been a voluntary choir.
I disagree with RT A Kind Of Magic not a patch on the studio recordings, maybe  Freddie's voice reduced to a croak by the time of Wembley 86 for example. Who Wants To Live Forever could have done with a Choir to help out dear Fred but it seems strange  Queen never hired any extras apart from the keyboard player for live sets.