Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Wrong B-sides

forum rss feed
Author

ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just listened to Queen singles and found that some B-sides just didn't match with A-side mood.

1. Spread Your Wings/Sheer Heart Attack. Power ballad and heavy punk rocker ain't a good pair on single, I think. Sheer Heart Attack is great B-side to It's Late single, but for Spread Your Wings they could use song like All Dead, All Dead or My Melancholy Blues.

2. Gimme the Prize as B-side. It's wrong almost everywhere. The only single it fits alright is Australian Princes of the Universe, because POTW and GTP is a perfect pair. But such a heavy song after A Kind of Magic (US 7") or One Year of Love (European 7") sounds at least strange.

Which else single B-sides you find inappropriate?

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well if roger locked himself in a cuboard like he did for the bohemian rhapsody single B-side then thatd explain it :P

aye i read somewhere (wiki i think) it said hed locked himself in a cuboard cus he desperatly wanted im in love with my car to be the B-side for bohemian rhapsody

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: well if roger locked himself in a cuboard like he did for the bohemian rhapsody single B-side then thatd explain it :P

aye i read somewhere (wiki i think) it said hed locked himself in a cuboard cus he desperatly wanted im in love with my car to be the B-side for bohemian rhapsody

=========================================

He wanted I'm In Love With My Car as a B-side for Bohemian Rhapsody singe??? That wouldn't suit it! Seaside Rendezvous would be a great B-side for Bo Rhap, methinks. Or maybe '39, but not I'm In Love With My Car for sure!

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

B-sides aren't always meant to match up to the A-side. In fact often they're chosen to give a different perspective of the band. Or just as often they are just non-album tracks -- stuff that wasn't good enough to make it onto the main album but which might encourage fans to buy the single.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote: lifetimefanofqueen wrote: well if roger locked himself in a cuboard like he did for the bohemian rhapsody single B-side then thatd explain it :P

He wanted I'm In Love With My Car as a B-side for Bohemian Rhapsody singe??? That wouldn't suit it! Seaside Rendezvous would be a great B-side for Bo Rhap, methinks. Or maybe '39, but not I'm In Love With My Car for sure!

===================
try telling roger that :P hes the one who locked himself  in a cuboard

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote: lifetimefanofqueen wrote: well if roger locked himself in a cuboard like he did for the bohemian rhapsody single B-side then thatd explain it :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually think IILWMC is an excellent choice as a B - side, it's not my favourite song, but it's a breath of fresh air for that record.
Plus, you must remember, he would have got substantial royalties for that. I would have locked myself in a closet too. :P

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 11, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fred must have felt properly tricked if he agreed to IILWMC on the condition that Roger come out of the closet.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 11, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm In Love With My Car was/is the perfect b-side for Bo Rhap.

ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 11, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: B-sides aren't always meant to match up to the A-side. In fact often they're chosen to give a different perspective of the band. Or just as often they are just non-album tracks -- stuff that wasn't good enough to make it onto the main album but which might encourage fans to buy the single.

================
For me, I'm Going Slightly Mad and The Hitman & Lost Opportunity is a good single, although all these songs are very different. But Gimme the Prize as One Year of Love B-Side makes single a little bit silly.

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru