Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke, live?

forum rss feed
Author

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Aug 11, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it ever performed live? According to queenlive.ca, it wasn't, but according to ultimatequeen.co.uk, it was. Any help?

Any way the wind blows...
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 11, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Fairy feller´s master stroke WAS NOT performed live...  i belive cause it´s a very complex song to played live and would be almost impossible play it with only 4 persons...

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It isn't complicated at all!

My thinking is in those early days, for the band to have rehearsed up songs as tight as that they would've been playing it for a while, it must've had a trip out of the house at somepoint in whatever form. Alas, I guess we'll never hear it.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote: It isn't complicated at all!

My thinking is in those early days, for the band to have rehearsed up songs as tight as that they would've been playing it for a while, it must've had a trip out of the house at somepoint in whatever form. Alas, I guess we'll never hear it. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the record Fred's vocals overlap, which is something he would have a have time replicating on stage.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Replicating Freddie's overlapping vocals on stage would have been easy by having Brian or Roger stepping up to the plate and singing those parts.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 05:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

replicating difficult recordings live on stage never stopped Queen.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian and Roger are much weaker singers than Fred and on stage they usually sound pretty crap in comparison to him e.g. Brian's singing on One Vision during the Magic Tour. Why do you think Fred did all the live vocals on WWTLForever? Besides, can you imagine Roger trying to sing the lyrics to Masterstroke lol! Can you imagine him trying to replicate Fred's phrasing! What a hoot. 

As for difficult songs live, Queen never really tried to replicate them: instead they adjusted them for a live sitiation. It would've been hard to do that with Masterstroke given the overlapping vocals. Not impossible: difficult. So why bother when other songs are much more suited to a live performance. Fred would've had to push hard for it to happen and I would guess he realised the difficulties involved.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In at least one concert in 1978 Freddie said that he thought 'It's Late' was a great song but a fucker to sing live.
Somehow I think 'Fairy Fellers' would of been even more difficult to perform live, so why bother. It was never deemed to be a live song, but a pure studio creation. They couldn't of done it without the harpsichord anyway, let alone get away with the vocals - so no it was never performed live as far as we know.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>>> They couldn't of done it without the harpsichord  anyway

Of course they could've ... it's called re-arranging the song. That's why, live, they did:

* Love of My Life without piano.
* Play the Game without synths (in 1980-1981).
* Who Wants to Live Forever without orchestra.
* Somebody to Love with only three (four?) voices.
* Sheer Heart Attack without Roger playing everything.
* Killer Queen without windchimes or jangle piano.
* Leroy Brown without woodblocks, castanets or jangle piano.
* FOTW, DSMN, SSOR and Teo Torriatte without tambourine.
* Teo Torriatte without harmonium or e-piano.
* White Queen without acoustic guitar(s).
* Liar without acoustic guitar and organ.
* Best Friend without e-piano.
* Etc, etc, etc.

So ... they COULD HAVE done TFFMS (or any other song from their catalogue) live, by adapting it on-stage (in this case, having piano, bass, drums, guitar and some overlapping lines cut or done by Roger). They probably decided not to bother anyway, but that's a different matter.

'They chose not to' is NOT the same as 'they couldn't.'

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
joesilvey user not visiting Queenzone.com
joesilvey
Bohemian: 238 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

also, Keep Yourself Alive had overlapping vocal lines in the verse that Freddie sang straight through when they performed it live. 

honestly, i'm amazed at some of the ones they DID play live (It's A Hard Life, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon) even if just a few times on a single tour, and even if the recordings we have don't put them in great light. 

overall, Queen were a ballsy band when it came to their live shows...

Joseph A. Silvey
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and with other "furiously paced songs" there is another approach...one they used for "leroy brown"

vut out most of the singing....maybe just sing the intro...play an instrumental version and sing the last last twenty seconds of the song....as part of the usual medley they did live

my guess is....they didn't want to do it

go deo na hÉireann
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for all the replies guys, but no one actually answered the question. Was it performed live, yes or no? One source says yes, one says no (it doesn't actually say no, it just never mentioned that it was performed).

Can anyone give me a definitave yes or no, please? (not trying to sound like an arse)

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 22:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Can anyone give me a definitave yes or no, please? (not trying to sound like an arse)

No, unless we lie.

The thing is ... theoretically, Queen could've tried it out at one gig that didn't happen to be bootlegged. Same for virtually any other song.

Out of the ca. 150-200 Queen concerts that are available in full (or almost full), TFFMS was not performed in any of them. It's also absent from the ca 100+ Queen concerts of which audio fragments are circulating.

Considering their tendency to have (more or less) fixed set lists (from 1974 to mid 1978), considering their tendency to ignore Queen II material (from 1978 onwards ... sans the short bits of SSOR near the end of their touring career) and considering Freddie didn't play piano live before 1974, there's a very strong (though NOT definitive) chance that they NEVER played that song live.

But no, no definitive yes or no unless you get gold of a time machine and watch every single of the 702 concerts Queen had and confirm whether they tried it out or not.

BTW, where exactly on ultimatequeen.co.uk does it say they played it live?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

===================================================================

It references it here on the Opera Omnia page: http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/discography/operaomnia.htm

And here on the live page: http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/live/queen1.htm under "1974 Queen II UK Tour"

By the way, thanks for the answer :D

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MadTheSwine73 wrote: Sebastian wrote:

===================================================================

It references it here on the Opera Omnia page: http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/discography/operaomnia.htm

And here on the live page: http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/live/queen1.htm under "1974 Queen II UK Tour"

By the way, thanks for the answer :D
--------------
Hi!

Well... In the second link they say that it´s ROMOURED that queen play these song...  also there´s romours about Queen playing Sleeping On the sidewalk, Dead On Time or even 39 with Brian on Vocals... but at the moment nothing was confirmed with a recording.

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
dsmeer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Opera Omnia

Who has or has seen the 2nd pressing (white covers) in real life?

Does it exist, I have never seen it, is this a CDr version ?

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: dysan wrote: It isn't complicated at all!

My thinking is in those early days, for the band to have rehearsed up songs as tight as that they would've been playing it for a while, it must've had a trip out of the house at somepoint in whatever form. Alas, I guess we'll never hear it. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the record Fred's vocals overlap, which is something he would have a have time replicating on stage.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He did that for years on Death On Two legs, probably the best example of overlapping vocals.

Kamenliter user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kamenliter
Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An old Queen trading friend of mine, Mark Tretman, from LA, CA, told me years ago that at a California Queen show in the mid 70's, some guy was screaming for Fairy Feller's insistently, and finally, Freddie (and I think the rest of the band) launched into a quick impromptu version of it.  Mark was one of the pre-eminent Queen collectors back in the day and hung out backstage with Queen on at least a couple of occassions (I have photos of him with the band in Japan in '82, I believe), so I'll take him at his word.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 11, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Queenfan from the US witnessed the SHA tour in 1975 and he told me the audience kept shouting for this particular song. An improvised, instrumental version followed. Lost contact with him years ago.

Whether this is true, I don't know. But why not?

They also rehearsed Funny How Love Is, so everything is possible.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Kamenliter user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kamenliter
Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 12 Aug 11, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rick -

Your story sounds exactly like the one I mentioned, directly above it..sounds like you were friends with Mark (c?) Tretman, as well?..or someone else who was at that show...