Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Very interesting (probably the best) interpretation of Boh Rhap

forum rss feed
Author

ZBGM0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just accidentally came across this blog where somebody is trying to reveal the meaning of this mysterious song. I know that many of you will say that it is stupid to guess what it was about, but still I found interpretation very interesting. I also believe that the song is not "random rhyming nonsense" like Freddie said. I also remember his mother said in interview that talking about homosexuality was some sort taboo for him and he didn’t like to talk about it, which also explains why he would never want to reveal the true meaning of the song (if this is really the true meaning of the song – we don’t know, nobody does).

I am not saying this is the true meaning, but it is WORTH to read it, because in the way it makes very much sense – I am just saying it COULD be the true meaning.

http://rationalautonomy.blogspot.com/2006/06/bohemian-rhapsody-interpretation.html

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look, this is nothing against you personally, but I'm not going to read this. I hate when people try to decipher what a song means, especially Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sure a few people agree with me. Again nothing against you. Rant Over.


Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!



Arsebiscuits!!!!!
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 11, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Dj.

Nothing personal, but I, too, don't feel the need to read this interpretation. Maybe I'm missing out on some great, enlightening revelation, but probably not.

My reasons, as expressed before, are that I don't believe "Rhapsody" has a hidden deep meaning, personal to Freddie or otherwise. I feel he created a work of provocative imagery and stylized angst around a purely fictional character, and that it underestimates his skill as a songwriter when it's assumed he's writing about himself. Musically and lyrically, I think it's the next logical step after songs like "Liar," "The March Of The Black Queen" and "In The Lap Of The Gods," and nobody's trying desperately to "solve" those songs even though they cover a lot of the same ground (guilt, pain and death).

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is about something, but he wasn't stupid enough to make it obvious.  It's that simple.  Every attempt to decipher it is usually hilariously muddled, and definitely not worth paying attention to.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

... and that it underestimates his skill as a songwriter when it's assumed he's writing about himself. 
======================

It does no such thing.  Leaning towards one explanation hardly limits the possibilities of any other.

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That interpretation is a load of cock


Don't shun it!
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh no , not a friggin gain.

Mastermarathon runner.


Master Marathon Runner
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: rhyeking wrote:

... and that it underestimates his skill as a songwriter when it's assumed he's writing about himself. 
======================

It does no such thing.  Leaning towards one explanation hardly limits the possibilities of any other.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If Freddie created this character purely from his imagination, it speaks volumes toward his ability as a songwriter. Underestimating his skill comes from assuming the only way he could write such a moving song is by making it autobiographical.

Put another way, if Freddie could objectively create a work as moving as this without casting himself as the main character, does that not represent high degree of songwriting ability?

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song is about Buddy Holly dying.  Duh.

Oh wait...


"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hmm... the article is a bit simplistic and nothing new... lots of people feel that its about being gay/coming out. 
I dunno, i think the song is more complex then that.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 11, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

* not that im saying coming out is not complex.  i just meant that i dont think the entire song is based around that.  Maybe its an influence, but there is more there, in my mind anyway.  And i think the song can be made a lot more general then that.

Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 11, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

malicedoom wrote: The song is about Buddy Holly dying.  Duh.

Oh wait...

-----------------------------------
hahahahahahahahaha


Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!



Arsebiscuits!!!!!
ZBGM0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Aug 11, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, I don't take it personal:) I understand your opinion and this is just one of many interpretations. But on the other side it’s
even better that the real meaning was never revealed because it makes the song more mysterious and self-explained.

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Aug 11, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me tell you my opinion, I just read the first line and it's a shit. I won't read the rest.


"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Aug 11, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The analysis until the opera section makes sense, but then becomes a bit fanciful.

Incidentally, to the topic starter, don't let the anti-intellectualism of the typical Queenzoner stop you posting threads like this.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: GratefulFan wrote: rhyeking wrote:

... and that it underestimates his skill as a songwriter when it's assumed he's writing about himself. 
======================

It does no such thing.  Leaning towards one explanation hardly limits the possibilities of any other.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If Freddie created this character purely from his imagination, it speaks volumes toward his ability as a songwriter. Underestimating his skill comes from assuming the only way he could write such a moving song is by making it autobiographical.

Put another way, if Freddie could objectively create a work as moving as this without casting himself as the main character, does that not represent high degree of songwriting ability?

===========================

Nobody has ever suggested that the only way he could write such a moving song is by making it autobiographical. Ever.  Because that would be dumb.  It's a bit like saying that because you believe the song was a rich fictional creation you underestimate Fred's ability to tap into his own emotion and life events to weave a well camouflaged tale of a vivid human experience.  Nobody would assume you don't think him capable, they'd just assume you've come to a different conclusion.

And to nobody in particular, this is the second time in recent days that a newish poster has brought this topic to the board and been pretty much spanked and/or insulted for it.  A new poster would have no reason to expect it wouldn't be a good contribution that would make interesting conversation.  I think people who want to bring substantial things to the board should be encouraged and welcomed, whether it's old hat for some or not.

ZBGM0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 11, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with GratefulFan. I really didn’t try to do anything bad, I just thought it might be interesting. If I knew the reaction I wouldn’t post it in the first place. Lostman says this’s shit…ok, maybe it is, but  can’t you pick any other words like: “I disagree, I think it’s a  fictional character…” And if this’s shit than at least explain why, so I will know more about it and next time I will not post such incoherent  posts anymore. There is no reason for anybody being hostile. I know that we will never find out what was Freddie thinking when he was writing  the song, but I believe there is nothing wrong if somebody tries to  analyse the song – it will never give you the final result, but at  least it’s fun. Now it looks like this fellow has done something very bad, because he was trying to understand the song (doesn’t matter if  he’s wrong). At least he showed respect to the song, he probably needed
quite some time to do all the research.     

And one more thing: it is (very) stupid  to say that if Freddie was describing himself or his thoughts in Boh Rhap that this depreciates his ability of songwriting. Our greatest poet in history  (from our  country) also did many poesy, where he described his own life, his own dark thoughts, his disunion (being this or being something else) – he is
known as the best poet of our nation…  And writing poetry and lyrics for songs can be very similar sometimes. So, even if Freddie was describing himself, he wrote amazing lyric – he didn’t described his  thoughts literally, but it is well coded with amazing metaphors. Somebody said that Freddie wasn’t stupid enough to make it obvious – off course he wasn’t. Even if it is about being homosexual, it is NOT obvious and will NEVER be, because he enveloped it with metaphors that  are very confused and enable many different interpretations. It is impossible to conclude anything.

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 11, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ZBGM0 wrote: I agree with GratefulFan. I really didn’t try to do anything bad, I just thought it might be interesting. If I knew the reaction I wouldn’t post it in the first place. Lostman says this’s shit…ok, maybe it is, but  can’t you pick any other words like: “I disagree, I think it’s a  fictional character…” And if this’s shit than at least explain why, so I will know more about it and next time I will not post such incoherent  posts anymore. There is no reason for anybody being hostile. I know that we will never find out what was Freddie thinking when he was writing  the song, but I believe there is nothing wrong if somebody tries to  analyse the song – it will never give you the final result, but at  least it’s fun. Now it looks like this fellow has done something very bad, because he was trying to understand the song (doesn’t matter if  he’s wrong). At least he showed respect to the song, he probably needed
quite some time to do all the research.     

And one more thing: it is (very) stupid  to say that if Freddie was describing himself or his thoughts in Boh Rhap that this depreciates his ability of songwriting. Our greatest poet in history  (from our  country) also did many poesy, where he described his own life, his own dark thoughts, his disunion (being this or being something else) – he is
known as the best poet of our nation…  And writing poetry and lyrics for songs can be very similar sometimes. So, even if Freddie was describing himself, he wrote amazing lyric – he didn’t described his  thoughts literally, but it is well coded with amazing metaphors. Somebody said that Freddie wasn’t stupid enough to make it obvious – off course he wasn’t. Even if it is about being homosexual, it is NOT obvious and will NEVER be, because he enveloped it with metaphors that  are very confused and enable many different interpretations. It is impossible to conclude anything. =================================================================

I'm sorry, I just aired my opinion. Or maybe it's prohibited for me to air opinions, isn't it?

"And if this’s shit than at least explain why"

Well, when I looked at it I saw such words like "AIDS", "gay", etc. Can you please tell me, what the hell it was? He judges Freddie's private life and finds its references in his songs? It seems that the guy, who made this interpretation is obsessed with all these facts, right?

I'm not the one who discusses Freddie's private life. I'm just listening to his music and being a very huge fan. Freddie is a hero for me, but I don't like these points when discussions lead into talking about the fact of his homosexuality. Yes, he was gay. I don't understand what do some people find such awful in this fact.

I hope you understand that all.


"I really feel like being evil tonight."
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I came across this a couple of weeks ago. It suggests that maybe Freddie Mercury was invited to the Bohemian Grove in California one summer, and that he was frightned by the the things he saw there.

It also says that the We Will Rock You musical has a lot of symbols from the Illuminati.

The picture of Freddie in the black and white leotard, is like he's a one of the "chessmen" on a chess board, and maybe that's why they called the band Queen (like the ones on a chess board).

http://tefilim.blogspot.com/search/label/Mind%20Control


Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
ZBGM0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote: ZBGM0 wrote: I agree with GratefulFan. I really didn’t try to do anything bad, I just thought it might be interesting. If I knew the reaction I wouldn’t post it in the first place. Lostman says this’s shit…ok, maybe it is, but  can’t you pick any other words like: “I disagree, I think it’s a  fictional character…” And if this’s shit than at least explain why, so I will know more about it and next time I will not post such incoherent  posts anymore. There is no reason for anybody being hostile. I know that we will never find out what was Freddie thinking when he was writing  the song, but I believe there is nothing wrong if somebody tries to  analyse the song – it will never give you the final result, but at  least it’s fun. Now it looks like this fellow has done something very bad, because he was trying to understand the song (doesn’t matter if  he’s wrong). At least he showed respect to the song, he probably needed
quite some time to do all the research.     

And one more thing: it is (very) stupid  to say that if Freddie was describing himself or his thoughts in Boh Rhap that this depreciates his ability of songwriting. Our greatest poet in history  (from our  country) also did many poesy, where he described his own life, his own dark thoughts, his disunion (being this or being something else) – he is
known as the best poet of our nation…  And writing poetry and lyrics for songs can be very similar sometimes. So, even if Freddie was describing himself, he wrote amazing lyric – he didn’t described his  thoughts literally, but it is well coded with amazing metaphors. Somebody said that Freddie wasn’t stupid enough to make it obvious – off course he wasn’t. Even if it is about being homosexual, it is NOT obvious and will NEVER be, because he enveloped it with metaphors that  are very confused and enable many different interpretations. It is impossible to conclude anything. =================================================================

I'm sorry, I just aired my opinion. Or maybe it's prohibited for me to air opinions, isn't it?

"And if this’s shit than at least explain why"

Well, when I looked at it I saw such words like "AIDS", "gay", etc. Can you please tell me, what the hell it was? He judges Freddie's private life and finds its references in his songs? It seems that the guy, who made this interpretation is obsessed with all these facts, right?

I'm not the one who discusses Freddie's private life. I'm just listening to his music and being a very huge fan. Freddie is a hero for me, but I don't like these points when discussions lead into talking about the fact of his homosexuality. Yes, he was gay. I don't understand what do some people find such awful in this fact.

I hope you understand that all.

I understand you very well. I also hate when people judge him because he was what he was and I also don’t care abut his personal life, but I don’t think this fellow (who made interpretation) judged Freddie’s private life, he just probably couldn’t think
any other explanation, probably because it was written in 1975 which was a turning point in Freddie’s personal life – this was exactly the year when Freddie was realizing what he really is.  Freddie is also my hero but even if he was describing himself in this song I don’t really care, this doesn’t change anything, nothing at all. Nothing changes the fact that he was the greatest
frontman and best vocalist of popular music, and the fact is all I care. Again: I didn’t know this is not a good topic for this forum.