Forums > Personal > Do you collect vinyl?

forum rss feed
Author

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Aug 11, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wondering. I currently have 12 Queen LPs in my collection and I'm going to buy the first Kylie's album on LP soon. What about you folks?

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 11, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have hundreds of vinyl records, including some of Queen. A lot of music, especially jazz, just isn't available on cd.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 11, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i collect 80's 12" singles

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 11, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love vinyl, but don't collect it.  My uncles have a huge collection though, i love looking through it.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 13 Aug 11, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have every Queen album, as well as all the solo stuff, on vinyl.  I also have lots of foreign Queen releases just for sleeve or tracklist differences.  Add that to my load of Queen picture discs, as well as every UK 7" and 12" (same for the solo stuff) before we move onto all the Billy Joel albums and singles I have lol.  My mrs has an extensive REM collection on vinyl (which I bought most of lol) and between us we have a load of random LPs from bands like The Beates, Ultravox, The Darkness, The Who, Van Halen, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd, Lily Allen, The Traveling Wilburys, The Sex Pistols, The Doors, Status Quo and blah blah blah....you get the picture.....all on lovely, beautiful, awesome sounding VINYL!!!!

To quote a famous QZ nutter.....ah yeah!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

glad to see im not the only one who collects Midge Ure/Ultravox stuff [amongst other bands] :-D

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3056 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote: glad to see im not the only one who collects Midge Ure/Ultravox stuff [amongst other bands] :-D =============================================================================================

I think Midge Ure is awesome :)

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Val Lurex

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to hear you've got a lot of vinyl, guys. I hope I gather such quantity too.

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote: Glad to hear you've got a lot of vinyl, guys. I hope I gather such quantity too.

reply:

its a lot easier these days to collect stuff thanks to the interweb,back when i first started i had to scour old record shops and the monthly edition of "record collector" for my fix..

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still have a pile of vinyl from the 70's and 80's, but my turntable long ago went down for the count.  It literally started smoking.  It was a bit alarming. :)  I've got shoeboxes and shoeboxes of cassettes I never listen to. Over the last 15 years what was once a really good stereo system has degraded piece by piece as time and little boy hands inevitably took their toll.  Starting about 10 years ago I started to feel more and more separated from my music collection as it became harder to play on failing equipment and as the room it was in became increasingly taken over for family life of TV and video games. It had gotten to the point where the only place I was alone with my music was at work in my headphones or when I'd run away in the car. :)  So, long story short, I've decided to go the other way and completely digitize my entire collection.  I'm so, so happy with the results so far.  I can get to my music which is on a NAS device from anywhere in the house and control it entirely walking around with an iPad.  I've got a Sonos bridge on my router and one wireless Sonos S5 speaker system on my main floor and am saving up for one upstairs.  In a perfect world I'd buy a third and make a stereo pair out of two of them. That and one more NAS device to serve as a mirror/backup/safepoint of the other and I'll be utterly content. 

I'd love to be an audiophile with vinyl everything and the world's best stereo system if my budget and life situation allowed for it, but it doesn't.  So I'm in love with my wireless system for now.  So there you have it.  That's apparently how a woman answers the very simple, straightforward question "Do you collect vinyl?". :)

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dabbled in collecting vinyl a few years ago, remember, behind The Beatles, Queen are the most collected band of all. This makes it a very VERY expensive hobby.

A mint copy of a very well selling single from the 70's or 80' will fetch £10. 

Just starting your collection will require several hundred pounds. Once you get to the rare stuff then its time to sell your car. Or one of your children.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a ton of vinyl too.  Been collecting since I was a teenager.  Why spend $15 on a CD when an LP costs 0.99 ?  That was always my logic.

Ah, the memories, having virgin ears ... listening to Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen ... for the first time in headphones..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And speaking of Ultravox, I have Vienna on vinyl.  Love that record to death.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I wasnt an avid collector of vinyl, I do still have a fair amount of long players in my possession. I was more interested in picture disc versions though, all of which I used to put up on display on my bedroom walls, My fave picture disc (besides my Queen stuff) was Magnum's "On A Storytellers Night" more so because I was into the Lord Of The Rings fantasy type stuff at the time. When cd's, and later on DVD's, came along it just wasnt the same. The artwork was too small to even think about putting up on a wall

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Val Lurex

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, how I'm jealous to you all!

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 11, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: I have a ton of vinyl too.  Been collecting since I was a teenager.  Why spend $15 on a CD when an LP costs 0.99 ?  That was always my logic.

Ah, the memories, having virgin ears ... listening to Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen ... for the first time in headphones..
==========================

Albums were never 99 cents, ever, when I was making decisions about how to collect.  :(   I bought albums right into the late 80's/early 90's pretty much to their last dying breath.  And it's been CDs ever since.

And regarding Ultravox, I've got Lament on vinyl.  I loved that album so much back in the day.  Part of my problem now is deciding on a limited budget what I replace in a digital format from scores of cassettes and a few dozen albums.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 15 Aug 11, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote: Lostman wrote: Glad to hear you've got a lot of vinyl, guys. I hope I gather such quantity too.

reply:

when i first started i had to scour old record shops
====

That's at least half the fun!

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 15 Aug 11, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:

Ah, the memories, having virgin ears ...

====

Aural sex?

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 15 Aug 11, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Dabbled in collecting vinyl a few years ago, remember, behind The Beatles, Queen are the most collected band of all. This makes it a very VERY expensive hobby.

A mint copy of a very well selling single from the 70's or 80' will fetch £10. 

Just starting your collection will require several hundred pounds. Once you get to the rare stuff then its time to sell your car. Or one of your children.

reply:

being of a "certain age" i was able to buy many Queen stuff as it was released so The Highlander Collection only cost me £20 when it was released unlike now where the last price i saw for it was £400 :-p
it also helped that i had friends inside the record company that would get me white labels and press releases too! :-D

JoxerTheDeityPirate

Posted: 15 Aug 11, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: JoxerTheDeityPirate wrote: Lostman wrote: Glad to hear you've got a lot of vinyl, guys. I hope I gather such quantity too.

reply:

when i first started i had to scour old record shops
====

That's at least half the fun!
reply:

except now that 90% of those old shops have gone the way of dinosaurs and Brian May's hair colour...

there is thankfully still one excellent one in Penzance and he does happen to be a Queen fanatic too [which helps]