Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Under Pressure RAH mix question

forum rss feed
Author

Stormtrooper076 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 11, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just curious why they called it the RAH mix and were those vocals on the intro unique to this version or have they surfaced on a demo etc.

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The intro vocals had never surfaced before. Likely they found these somewhere on the multitrack (Like the ending of Somebody to Love 1991 Hollywood remix).

I believe it is called the RAH mix because thats what is yelled at the end of the intro of the song, just when the drums kick in.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
PiotreQ user not visiting Queenzone.com
On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ
Bohemian: 888 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Rah" is an alteration of  "hoorah", as wiki says, so Dane's right, I think.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always been curious if the two lines:

Freddie: "You said New York...New York is dangerous, cause you ain't got what you made."
David: "Even a blind man can see that's not so!"

...were from the original "Under Pressure" sessions or whether they date from a different point. Let's assume for a second that Bowie's line comes from his time working with Queen in 1981. That would mean one of three things:

1) It's an outtake from "Under Pressure"
2) It's an outtake from "Cool Cat"
3) It's an outtake from an unreleased, incomplete song or jam session

Looking at Freddie's line, the possibilities are greater. In the early '80s Freddie was spending a lot of time in New York at gay clubs and discos there. He wrote "New York" during his Mr. Bad Guy sessions and was certainly attached to the city. I'm not sure if he was there as much in 1981 and most of their recording (solo and as Queen) was being done at Mountain Studios, in Switzerland, which they'd bought. There's a very good chance that Freddie's line dates from later, perhaps during the Mr. Bad Guy period.

Also, a more skill audiophile might be able to tell us whether Freddie saying "New York" was was repeated in order to create a different meter for the intro. I wonder if the line, maybe from a different song, was "You said New York was dangerous, cause you ain't got what you made." Just a thought.

(I might be entirely off the mark on these, but it does make me wonder)

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bowie's line was definitely from the sessions that spawned Under Pressure, because it has the same tune as "Keep coming up with love, but it's so slashed and torn."

Freddie's line though, who knows...

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
Stormtrooper076 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 11, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rather interesting. I do wonder if Freddie vocal may be part of the sessions for his solo song "New York"

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts

Posted: 22 Aug 11, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They could not call it  'SH*T' because it is one of those seven words you can't say on TV or radio.............

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 11, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of the 1991 Hollywood Remixes, now that I'm going through all the CDs again from that time, I'm really enjoying those remixes.

They did a nice job on them and it's great to catch all these little things (bits and pieces of Freddie vocals never heard before, etc.) added in to the mix.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 24 Aug 11, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: I've always been curious if the two lines:

Freddie: "You said New York...New York is dangerous, cause you ain't got what you made."
David: "Even a blind man can see that's not so!"

I have always thought that David sang: "Even a blind man can see that's absurd"...

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...