Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Body Language lyric

forum rss feed
Author

Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 11, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What does the line "knock me down for a six anytime" mean?

Is he talking about minutes or inches? Or did he mean 69 and forgot the other half? This has bothered me for thirty years..

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2435 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 11, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a bastardization of "hit me for six", an idiom that comes from cricket, wherein the batsman gets 6 runs for smashing the ball over the boundary without it hitting the ground.

So to be "hit for six" or, in Freddie's words "knocked down for a six" is to be metaphorically struck very hard or bowled over, to use another cricketing idiom.

Basically.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 11, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its something to do with Freddie's middle stump.

Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 11, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote: It's a bastardization of "hit me for six", an idiom that comes from cricket, wherein the batsman gets 6 runs for smashing the ball over the boundary without it hitting the ground.

So to be "hit for six" or, in Freddie's words "knocked down for a six" is to be metaphorically struck very hard or bowled over, to use another cricketing idiom.

Basically.
Thanks for the explo. I'm sure I'm not the only American who never understood the reference.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 11, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Its something to do with Freddie's middle stump.

lol

Any way the wind blows...
TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 11, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always seen it as amusing proof that Freddie knew nothing about sport. ...well cricket at least.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 11, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote: It's a bastardization of "hit me for six", an idiom that comes from cricket, wherein the batsman gets 6 runs for smashing the ball over the boundary without it hitting the ground.

Basically.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"basically" - i disagree. Queen were at a position where they'd finally hit the top of the american market with "the game" - i don't think freddie would've used an idiom that was only applicable to a small (cricket-playing) part of the world market. i also don't think that freddie as an intelligent song-writer would be silly enough to get a phrase or saying so wrong.

therefore, i feel this phrase is about boxing. ie - he'd been hit so hard that it'd take a count of six to get back to his feet

go deo na hÉireann
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're both wrong.

Freddie was a fan of drinking cheap American beer.  It basically meant that he wanted you to bring a six pack of Schlitz   He was such a lightweight, that a six pack would knock him down every time.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2744 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: You're both wrong.

Freddie was a fan of drinking cheap American beer.  It basically meant that he wanted you to bring a six pack of Schlitz   He was such a lightweight, that a six pack would knock him down every time.

it all makes sense now!! i always thought it was lay me down for a Pabst anytime...  Thanks for clearing that up

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "