Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Phase III bonus tracks:

forum rss feed
Author

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 11, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair, all I'm interested in are the "demos", so here are my thoughts on those.

The Invisible Man - Weird. It's a mix of Roger AND Freddie, but has the 'proper' guitar solo in it. I wonder if it's a true demo or a hybrid?
I love it anyway!!

Ride The Wild Wind - I've just been well and truly Rogered!
Christ, the pounding was unbelievable. Hard, Heavy, deep and furious!
Talk about a deep sigh of relief at the end....!!!!!
God, I REALLY want to hear more Roger demos. You can NEVER have enough Roger! 

I'm Going Slightly Mad - lovely clear vocals, ruined by stupid extra sound effects and out-of place crashing drum (@ 0.59). Wonder if this has been done just for the remasters or whether it was seriously considered for release back in '91?

A Winters Tale: nice, clear vocals....
I doubt it's a different take though, not at that stage of Freddie's life... :((

Headlong: Sounds like a fake. It's got Freddie's finished backing vocals on it which makes me think it's a hybrid of the finished version, 'some' early guitar work (or some that's buried in the known mix) and Brian's guide vocal. It's TOO finished for me!

A Kind Of Vision - This is more like it. Clearly an early version, even down to the drum machine and synth.
Lyrics in the Absolute Greatest book under "One Vision"...

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1787 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm Going Slightly Mad (Mad Mix)

What "Silly Goose" Remixed this track,  Second time through & my ears have started to bleed!!!!

Joyful the sound
silver_salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com
silver_salmon
Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have found a youtube channel with some bonus added. For those like me that can't get on hands still

http://www.youtube.com/user/KiLLerQ82#p/u/3/MfAegv7Ds_k

"What a Silly Goose" hohohohho is really sickly that version

_Bijou_ user not visiting Queenzone.com
_Bijou_
Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link. I like the 'Mad Mix' of 'Slightly Mad'. Just quirky enough for me and I like the extra effects.

www.youtube.com/user/StarSupernova2

Please visit my site at:

www.freewebs.com/queenheaven

*(UPDATED 06/05/08)*
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for not being able to get enough Roger - I agree. A very nice compilation could be the finished versions of his 80's and 90's songs, but with his guide vocals. Action This Day, Radio Ga Ga (if it exists), etc.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Roger's "Ride the Wild Wind" better than Freddie's. A proper studio take with Roger singing would have made an epic Taylor-track, however, it was understandable that Freddie sung as much as possible at that stage of their career.

I would have also preferred to hear more of these guide-vocal takes, for example, surely there could exist some demo-like "embryos" of "The Show Must Go On", and "The Miracle", for example (or they have nothing and I am just a wishful thinker).

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"