Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Artists favorite Queen albums?

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Rob halford-Queen2
Bruce Dickinson-ANATO
The Darkness-Jazz,  SHA
GNR- ANATO,  Queen 1
Brian may- Queen2, SHA
Roger Talyor- SHA
john Deacon- The Game
Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
The Foo fighter's?.....curious which album these guy's like best.
Smashing Pumpkins- Queen2
David lee roth- Queen 1
Muse- ANATO
Michael jackson-The Game
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Andrew Lloyd Weber - ANATO


I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Um, did I miss something? When did we invent time travel?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4676 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Foo Fighters designed one of their tour light shows based on the cover of Livekillers so that might be a hint.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 347 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe the Foos have cited Sheer Heart Attack as well...I know Dave actually cites Tenement Funster as one of his all time favs period.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Um, did I miss something? When did we invent time travel?

obviously joking around...

Dream Theater- SHA

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dave Grohl A.K.A. Foo Fighters said his favorite Queen album is Queen (I), with his favorite song; "Great King Rat".

I saw an episode of MTV Cribs, or at least they filmed at his home, and he had a rare picture of something by Queen.


Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

couldn't blame Dave,  Great king rat is a great song, and Queen 1 is a great album......Brian may once said he was surprised  how many people think the first album was their best...He thought Queen found their sound a bit later,  but no one can deny the first record was the heaviest and many were influenced by it.......

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 669 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was the Taylor Hawkins MTV Cribs, and he had the NOTW full-album cover framed on his wall, which was cool. When he sifts through his CD collection, he passes a couple of their albums as well. I may have made this up, but I'm sure he had a little picture of Fred atop his piano as well in a room in his house.

Also, and I know Dave Grohl bless him says a lot of things enthusiastically towards music, but he has cited Queen I as his favourite ever album. High praise indeed.

Taylor himself is extremely fond of the early-mid 70s Queen, ADATR, NOTW etc. Overall, they're just a genuinely Queen-appreciating band, which is cool. And Pat Smear is a massive Queen fan too. Check out his 1995 tour getup with the Foos... recognise the leather trousers, jacket and hat look from anywhere!?


John Bonham, Roger Taylor, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Chad Smith, John Otto, Mitch Mitchell...
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for the mix up, and thanks for the clarification!

Kurt Cobain was also listening to Queen, and (I am pretty sure) he credited them as an inspiration source.
"It's Late" is in the documentary "Been a Son".


Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 347 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Artists are probably much like fans and their favorites change now and again...

I met Gary Cherone back stage in Boston in the early 00s and we talked a bit.  He stated Queen II was his favorite then. 

John Ondrasnik from Five For Fighting said his favorite Queen song was Somebody To Love. (btw the first Five For Fighting disc, Message For Albert actually draws much from Queen - After that he went adult contemporary ballads for the most part)

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 715 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II for Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first 6 albums are mentioned the most......

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Um, did I miss something? When did we invent time travel?
==============================================

obviously joking around...

Dream Theater- SHA
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I figured. :-)

Also, the July 2011 issue of Uncut has Rob Halford's album picks:
****
- The record that showed me music was important: 'Tutti Frutti' by Little Richard
- The record that showed me how far bands could go: The Beatles [The White Album] by The Beatles
- Great live album: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out by The Rolling Stones
- The record that showed Midlanders can do blues: Led Zeppelin [1] by Led Zeppelin
- The record that showed me music can be evil: Black Sabbath [1970] by Black Sabbath
- The record that almost made Judas Priest meet:  Axis: Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix Experience
- The record that showed me women can rock: Pearl by Janis Joplin
- The singer who gave me ambition: Queen [1] by Queen
"I've always revered Freddie Mercury. When you're a new band making your first record, you've got nothing to lose, you're not being pushed into a corner by music's corporate side. This first album was taking rock'n'roll and refining it. It was dramatic and almost classical. Freddie taught me that a lot of things are possible beyond what you think you've already got."
- The record that showed me how to be someone else: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie
- The record that kicked rock in the balls: Vulgar Display Of Power by Pantera 
****

I was pleased to see Queen's debut album getting some respect. Good list overall. He explains each selection, but I only transcribed the Queen entry because it's pertinent to the thread (and I'm lazy).

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Um, did I miss something? When did we invent time travel?
==============================================

obviously joking around...

Dream Theater- SHA
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I figured. :-)

Also, the July 2011 issue of Uncut has Rob Halford's album picks:
****
- The record that showed me music was important: 'Tutti Frutti' by Little Richard
- The record that showed me how far bands could go: The Beatles [The White Album] by The Beatles
- Great live album: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out by The Rolling Stones
- The record that showed Midlanders can do blues: Led Zeppelin [1] by Led Zeppelin
- The record that showed me music can be evil: Black Sabbath [1970] by Black Sabbath
- The record that almost made Judas Priest meet:  Axis: Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix Experience
- The record that showed me women can rock: Pearl by Janis Joplin
- The singer who gave me ambition: Queen [1] by Queen
"I've always revered Freddie Mercury. When you're a new band making your first record, you've got nothing to lose, you're not being pushed into a corner by music's corporate side. This first album was taking rock'n'roll and refining it. It was dramatic and almost classical. Freddie taught me that a lot of things are possible beyond what you think you've already got."
- The record that showed me how to be someone else: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie
- The record that kicked rock in the balls: Vulgar Display Of Power by Pantera 
****

I was pleased to see Queen's debut album getting some respect. Good list overall. He explains each selection, but I only transcribed the Queen entry because it's pertinent to the thread (and I'm lazy).

NICE!....Another mention of the first Queen record......I guess all the people who think queens first album didn't have an impact or influence are pretty much wrong....Rob mentioned the first 2 as his favorites, as many others did...

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: rhyeking wrote: mike hunt wrote: these are some of the artists that mentioned a favorite queen album.....i'm curious what the foo's favorite is?....

Freddie Mercury- The Cosmo rocks
Elvis-Innuendo
Lennon-The miracle
jim morrison-NOTW
Hendrix-  Hot Space
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Um, did I miss something? When did we invent time travel?
==============================================

obviously joking around...

Dream Theater- SHA
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I figured. :-)

Also, the July 2011 issue of Uncut has Rob Halford's album picks:
****
- The record that showed me music was important: 'Tutti Frutti' by Little Richard
- The record that showed me how far bands could go: The Beatles [The White Album] by The Beatles
- Great live album: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out by The Rolling Stones
- The record that showed Midlanders can do blues: Led Zeppelin [1] by Led Zeppelin
- The record that showed me music can be evil: Black Sabbath [1970] by Black Sabbath
- The record that almost made Judas Priest meet:  Axis: Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix Experience
- The record that showed me women can rock: Pearl by Janis Joplin
- The singer who gave me ambition: Queen [1] by Queen
"I've always revered Freddie Mercury. When you're a new band making your first record, you've got nothing to lose, you're not being pushed into a corner by music's corporate side. This first album was taking rock'n'roll and refining it. It was dramatic and almost classical. Freddie taught me that a lot of things are possible beyond what you think you've already got."
- The record that showed me how to be someone else: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie
- The record that kicked rock in the balls: Vulgar Display Of Power by Pantera 
****

I was pleased to see Queen's debut album getting some respect. Good list overall. He explains each selection, but I only transcribed the Queen entry because it's pertinent to the thread (and I'm lazy).
==================================================

NICE!....Another mention of the first Queen record......I guess all the people who think queens first album didn't have an impact or influence are pretty much wrong....Rob mentioned the first 2 as his favorites, as many others did...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I bought the issue because the Small Faces were on the cover (I'm a fan) and the "free" CD was a good collection of Rhythm & Blues songs. It wasn't until I was flipping through on the couch that I saw Queen 1 was mentioned in his list. Seeing the little purple album cover next to Bowie's masterpiece (ironically, both were recorded at the same time at the same venue, Trident) and in the same list as The White Album made me hope that some newcomer would see it and think, "Hmm, Queen's first album? Maybe I should pick that up."

Likewise, I'll probably pick up Vulgar Display Of Power, since it's the only album on that list I don't own. I hope I'll like it.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 01:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pantera's Vulgar display Of Power is my Favorite album from them........Check their music out on youtube before you buy it...........I seen an interview with Anthrax's scott Ian, and the drummer mentioned Queen as his fovorite band....NOTW seems to be his favorite album, and his love for the album cover....